Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 11:40 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times

Advertisements

Well, thank you both for the information. Las Cruces is looking better and better.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 11:38 AM

9 posts, read 18,332 times
Default Need straight talk about the smell from the dairies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
There are two super nice drives to the west of I-10 that go to and from Las Cruces to El Paso/Canutillo about 35 miles.

You can drive from Mesilla Park on NM 478 that goes thru the rural communities of Mesquite, Vado, Berino, Anthony, Vinton and finally Canutillo as you'll see mainly dairies, farms and ranches etc..and actually has an ''old mexico'' feel to it along the drive.

You can also drive from Mesilla on NM 28 which is a bit further to the west along the Rio Grande River and Bosque area's and go thru the rural communities of San Miguel, La Mesa, Chamberino and also comes out at Canutillo as it is also a nice drive to and from El Paso.
You mention driving by dairies and I'm surprised this is the first mention I've seen. We are thinking about returning to Las Cruces after 25 years; but I suddenly remembered the pain of going by those dairies along the interstate. I used to keep a perfumed hankie in the car! I understand there are even more of them now, including one on West Pichacho and on the highway north of town. True?

What are your thoughts on this issue? I know that some people will probably scold me for being a sissy. I'm actually thinking about wanting my children to come visit and having to subject them to the scene.

Forgive me if I'm stepping on any toes.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:16 PM

45 posts, read 164,431 times
Just switch the car heat/air system to recycle the air instead of drawing in the outside air. This works well for us when we drive past the dairies on the way to/from El Paso.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueriver25 View Post
You mention driving by dairies and I'm surprised this is the first mention I've seen. We are thinking about returning to Las Cruces after 25 years; but I suddenly remembered the pain of going by those dairies along the interstate. I used to keep a perfumed hankie in the car! I understand there are even more of them now, including one on West Pichacho and on the highway north of town. True?

What are your thoughts on this issue? I know that some people will probably scold me for being a sissy. I'm actually thinking about wanting my children to come visit and having to subject them to the scene.

Forgive me if I'm stepping on any toes.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:43 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,829 times
Good idea! We just got back from the Cielo Vista Mall in EP and man, those farms in what is it -- Anthony or Vado (?) stink so bad it almost hurts.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:39 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Good idea! We just got back from the Cielo Vista Mall in EP and man, those farms in what is it -- Anthony or Vado (?) stink so bad it almost hurts.
Just wait 'til Spring, when the meadow muffins an manure pits get nice and warm.....

Old 12-30-2009, 06:57 PM

9 posts, read 18,332 times
Default Another route to ELP from LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Are there any side roads that go into El Paso from Las Cruces ? I ask this because I do not like to drive on highways. I don't care if it takes longer & I would love it if it were prettier & more scenic .
I would love to get more replies on this question because I deplore driving by the dairies along the interstate or the smaller roads which are more or less parallel. Is it possible to drive south from White Sands on the tiny roads I see on the map and get clear into ELP from the north? That way you wouldn't have to smell the dairies.

I really do not wish to offend anyone with this question. This is personal thing with me, the sissy.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:28 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueriver25 View Post
I would love to get more replies on this question because I deplore driving by the dairies along the interstate or the smaller roads which are more or less parallel. Is it possible to drive south from White Sands on the tiny roads I see on the map and get clear into ELP from the north? That way you wouldn't have to smell the dairies.

I really do not wish to offend anyone with this question. This is personal thing with me, the sissy.
Tell me at what points you are driving to and fro as I-10 is about 25 miles west of White Sands Missle Range but yes you can drive south from White Sands as it's called War Road and it goes all the way to El Paso.

As for the smell of the dairies in Mesquite along I-10 they do produce an odor but it only lasts for a few seconds and then your past them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces