U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 08:58 PM

3,223 posts, read 5,769,540 times
Default Memories of the Past

Let us remember places of the past that made Las Cruces...Well...Las Cruces

I will start

The Golden Crust....best panacitos and pan dulce around.

Golden Bull - Great Hambugers!! They also had a unique saying on their outdoor sign.

The Welcome Inn - Classic Dive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 07:14 AM
TKO

701 posts, read 1,438,945 times
Triple RRR a good country bar

Same with the Anthony Gap, I really miss that place

Agree on the Golden Bull, I always had friends that worked there it seemed and I loved that western sandwich

Victoria's was a staple

Geez, all I could think of was bars.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:48 PM

701 posts, read 1,452,565 times
Thanks for this thread. I'm a relatively new resident of LC and am always interested in its history. I do think there's already an older thread covering the same stuff, but feel free to start a fresh thread.

Funny about the Welcome Inn - it was the first bar I visited when I moved here in 2007 (I'm a divey kind of bar patron) and man was it unwelcoming! When I asked the gruff looking bartender (a weathered woman in her 60s) what kind of beer they had she barked out "Bud, Bud Light, what you want" and looked at me like I had lobsters all over my face. I guess it was too divey even for me and I just left.

I'm particularly interested in hearing stories about businesses and the livelihood that used to be downtown. Continue.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:04 PM

29 posts, read 38,724 times
What are panacitos and pan dulce? I'm coming from Indiana in a few weeks and think I have a lot to look forward to.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:20 PM

17,138 posts, read 17,839,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skprdh View Post
pan dulce?
Direct translation "Bread Sweet"

They are like muffins, but made with bread dough and can be topped with almost anything sweet like suger, cake icing even condensed milk depending on who makes them and what country you are in (Carribean, Central America, Mexico) and you see them here in New Mexico...

Rich

Old 07-02-2009, 09:36 AM

3,223 posts, read 5,769,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skprdh View Post
What are panacitos and pan dulce? I'm coming from Indiana in a few weeks and think I have a lot to look forward to.
Panacitos are "little" bread rolls. But much better tasting then your typical dinner roll...Golden Crust was the best. I guess Lujan's is good as well (are they still open?)

The Golden Crust was across the street from Churches Chicken...

I think the Triple RRR was the Desert Sun at one time...

Anyone remember Godfather's Pizza?

What was the name of that Burger Joint across the street from Arby's?

Old 07-02-2009, 09:51 AM

17,138 posts, read 17,839,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Anyone remember Godfather's Pizza?
It was a chain of franchises. I remember them from Maryland around 1980 which I really liked and in Albuquerque in the late 90's, I'm pretty sure they are gone. I heard they have one still in Tucumcari....

Rich

Old 07-02-2009, 10:32 AM
TKO

701 posts, read 1,438,945 times
The Desert Sun was on N. Main Street and was a different place than the RRR which was on Valley. The Sun was more about local live music and the RRR was more about gettin' drunk and dancing. Lujan's is still open and is still good. Their panecitos are the best in town, perfect for dipping in red chile!

I liked Godfathers though I'll take International Delights in a trade any day, basically it's in the same location. Henry J's was the burger joint and was very good. All the Aggie's used to hang out there in the McCarthy days.

How about Popular Dry Goods? I used to do most of my clothes shopping there or at CR Anthony's when I was a kid. I used to love the Converse All Stars in all white where you could take a sharpie to the stripes and make them any color.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:36 AM

2,866 posts, read 4,099,986 times
What about Shirley's Drive In on Valley? Am I dating myself with that one? It used to be the Friday night cruise spot before newer places came along.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:58 AM

13,107 posts, read 11,926,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It was a chain of franchises. I remember them from Maryland around 1980 which I really liked and in Albuquerque in the late 90's, I'm pretty sure they are gone. I heard they have one still in Tucumcari....

Rich
PanchoNM is right, it's in Tucumcari's truck stop that was built not long ago, was in there when I done my trip last week. Surprisingly, New Mexico's only other one is in Lordsburg's truck stop, on Rodeo Drive.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 07-02-2009 at 12:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces