U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 08-07-2009, 12:46 PM

175 posts, read 252,596 times
Default What You Found As "Different" When You Moved To Las Cruces

Just curious as to what stands out as being different or "off the wall" when you came to southern NM. State where you came from, too!

(this should be interesting!!)
Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-07-2009, 05:02 PM

2,192 posts, read 2,910,467 times
I came from MA, Maine prior to that and I've also lived in MI.

Besides the obvious difference of scenery and mix of people (love it!), and the heat:

-- as I mentioned on another thread, no recycling pick up which I find surprising in a city this size;
-- houses with no basements;
-- postal box thingy a few blocks from our house -- no mail to the door. This is probably common to subdivisions where the houses are on top of each other like here in Sonoma Ranch, and not just a LC thing;
-- Houses that are a very narrow color palette. Be prepared for beige, beige, beige! Again, we've never lived in a development; I think it's a development thing, not an LC thing -- of course you're going to be restricted to desert colors here.

We've been here less than a week, so I am sure I'll think of more.

Unread 08-07-2009, 07:06 PM

I found that the swamp cooler thing was so odd since you have to OPEN windows to get good, cool air! (We now have refrigerated air, thank God!)

Another thing was irrigation ditches and the "flooding" of the farms. NEVER saw that.
The very nice stone walls between houses...VERY classy to me.

Yes, nice people but it seems they are being filtered out by newcomers from other parts of the country!!

No shopping cart restricting poles at the grocery store. Elsewhere, you have to drive UP to load your groceries since the carts are often stolen.

Yeah, the heat is pretty harsh anymore. Seems it's getting hotter.

Arroyos were a novelty to me, too.

No toll roads. WHAT? that was really odd!

Unread 08-09-2009, 07:14 PM

16 posts, read 19,423 times
I lived in southern AZ for many years before moving here, so the desert is nothing new to me. Mostly I can only compare the differences between the Sonoran desert and the Chihuahuan desert. A few things that were totally new to me upon moving to Las Cruces:

Chile roasting - love it! This is definitely a New Mexico thing, as I don't recall ever seeing (or smelling) it in Arizona. We're only weeks away from that delightful aroma. Many of the grocery stores in town run a chile roaster in the parking lot. If you're new here, try some!

Like someone else said, limited recycling. There are select bins placed around town a recycling drop off on West Amador by the dump. People are lazy and most reusable materials are just trashed. There is no glass recycling here or in El Paso (there's a whole thread discussing this). Word is that curbside pickup is in the works and may be starting later this year.

The monsoon season is not as magnificent as it is in Arizona. Elevation may be a factor in that. The winters are much colder (at night) than I expected, but the sunny days make up for it.

Lots of dogs. Lots of abuse and neglect of dogs. Seeing dogs chained to trees in people's yards is a common sight. There is a massive pet overpopulation problem here. For anyone who likes to walk, jog, or go bike riding I advise carrying pepper spray or some form of protection at all times. Every few days I encounter a loose or stray dog and some of them are extremely scary. Haven't been bitten yet, knock on wood.

THE WIND. I had heard it "gets windy" here. That's an understatement. Newcomers, starting in March and lasting through June, the wind can get really annoying. Sometimes it's strong enough to bust glass out of car windows. Anything in your yard that can get blown away will. Some plants need to supported with stakes or cages or they'll just get knocked down.

I think the thing that surprised me most about LC is how much it has going on - business, events, festivals, etc. After living in metros with over a million people I had this vision of LC being super small, quiet, a small handful of shops, limited services, etc. It's funny - even though I learned a lot from City Data before I moved here, I still had this vision that I would arrive to find a tiny town with just a few restaurants and shops. Go over around the Telshor strip and it's like Anytown, USA. I also thought I might have trouble not being fluent in Spanish (it's handy, but not necessary at all). For a city of only 90K it's not what I expected at all and has everything I need.

Unread 08-11-2009, 06:06 PM

214 posts, read 409,984 times
Agree 100% with RedApple, I can think of two more, one good, one bad:

*The people here are actually friendly & say hello! Whoa! Being from Phoenix, I'm so not used to this, but I'm GLAD people here are friendly like this. I hope I can "warm up" too, soon....

*Also, being from Phoenix, I guess I am used to hurry-up-and-go driving, because people here seem to drive unusually slow....I mean REALLY, REALLY SLOW: making turns, going at green lights, etc. I've often been stranded at yellow lights only because the couple cars in front took their time getting a move on...

Unread 08-14-2009, 10:21 AM

An "odd" thing to me was the dark tinted car windows and the need for the windshield sun protectors. I love those accordion style ones.
And the dash mats. Where I come from, these were not ever seen.

Unread 08-19-2009, 07:32 PM

3,131 posts, read 5,318,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabygirl View Post
Agree 100% with RedApple, I can think of two more, one good, one bad:

*The people here are actually friendly & say hello! Whoa! Being from Phoenix, I'm so not used to this, but I'm GLAD people here are friendly like this. I hope I can "warm up" too, soon....

*Also, being from Phoenix, I guess I am used to hurry-up-and-go driving, because people here seem to drive unusually slow....I mean REALLY, REALLY SLOW: making turns, going at green lights, etc. I've often been stranded at yellow lights only because the couple cars in front took their time getting a move on...
Well, the speed limit on most streets in Las Cruces is low(even major streets). So when you trying to do 55 most people are doing the limit...which is 35. I had the same issue when I would return home to Las Cruces from California...

Unread 08-20-2009, 08:35 AM

13,279 posts, read 5,926,727 times
I moved here from northern NJ, lived in Brooklyn prior to that.

Some things that stand out for me:

The way the fiction books are arranged at the library - in NY and NJ all of the libraries have separate sections for 'literature' vs. popular fiction. Here everything is all together in alpha order. I like it.

No Wise potato chips - I really miss Wise potato chips. If anyone knows where to find some, please let me know.

The lack of good quality radio stations.

The high cost of bread and coffee at the supermarkets, and the lack of selection. In NY/NJ I could always find Cafe Bustelo or something similar for around $2.00 for 12 oz. On the other hand, I do appreciate the warm french bread for around a $1.00 at Albertson's.

The wonderful variety of birds, I feel like I see a new type every day

The low cost of entertainment compared to the NY metro area.

Being able to buy fireworks at the supermarket.

Teenagers who smile and make eye-contact when they speak to you - in NYC and northern NJ sullen is an art form perfected by the 5th grade.

Unread 08-20-2009, 09:41 AM

7,639 posts, read 10,249,563 times
Boy, do I miss Wise potato chips. The bbq and onion & garlic especially.

Unread 08-20-2009, 12:02 PM
YAZ

5,702 posts, read 5,601,323 times
We don't live in Cruces but my wife is from there.....we go often.

Next trip: Labor Day weekend.

We usually arrive in town late, so comin' from the west....what a beautiful view.

The food. Ya just can't find the same quality here in Phoenix.

honors to....

Nellies

Day's hamburgers

It cools down at night. We Phoenicians appreciate that.

Pecans & chiles.

Yum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces