Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 09:12 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,669,361 times

Advertisements

Preface: this is meant to be respectful and not inflammatory.

We knew when we moved here that we would not be in the liberal bastion that we were in (MA and ME). Granted, so far the people we've met here (in Sonoma Ranch) have been conservative, and not shy about it, but I know that in any place there are people of all stripes.

Hubby saw a bumper sticker the other day that read: "America was founded by right wing extremists". This seems to have set him over the edge. He is VERY homesick.

Now, for myself I had planned to visit the UU church here in LC because I knew there would be like-minded people there. Any other ideas for helping us to feel more "at home"?

I do not mean say that one group is more right than the other at all -- it's merely matter of feeling like you belong, even if it's in a small group among the whole.

We love your city, I swear! It's just that DH is depressed and feeling a bit of culture shock, I think...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 01:47 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,760 times
If you sign up at MoveOn.org for email updates or something they occasionally organize get-togethers for various things, you could probably meet some like minded people that way.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:21 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
It's possible to like people who don't share your political views also.
You may not agree on some stuff, but you can still find some common
ground in the lovely NM sunsets and beautiful Organ Mountains.

It might also help to sign up for adult education courses.
Some of your classmates might be right-wing whackos and some
might be left-wing whackos and most will be somewhere in-between.

Some might just be run-of-the-mill whackos like me, but still fun
to hang out with.

In the end, life's too short to live where you don't like it.
I just can't imagine not being able to find people who mesh
with your thinking in NM.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:35 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,826 times
This is a really puzzling thread. I've always thought of NM as having a VERY large liberal contingent. I'd suggest the OP and hubby take an interest in volunteering at one of the social agencies - food bank, hospital auxiliary, humane shelter, etc - or take part in Democratic party activities locally.

If you're going to talk the talk, you should be willing to walk the walk, IMHO.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,794 times
My whole family (10) are Flaming Liberals, except for me. Most of my friends are Libs. I guess we dwell in our 'common place' I respect their views and they respect mine.. We DO NOT discuss Politics, PERIOD

Old 09-07-2009, 08:14 AM

I didn't say we don't respect other opinions at all.

I would be very happy with not discussing politics at all. Unfortunately, we have been bombarded with unsolicited political opinions from newly-met neighbors, co-workers and even the 9 year old up the street (whose mother signed the "opt-out" form for the President's talk this week.) I guess we're just not used to it being taken for granted that we are conservative. New territory for us, and we've been very tactful in ending the political conversations.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:24 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,329 times
May I suggest that you've got a bit of an expectation that you've moved to a conservative bastion, and so you tend to focus on evidence of that? I'm not in your shoes, so I can't know for sure.
You're also in a fairly new and upscale development, so that might attract a conservative crowd. Get in touch with the local Democratic underground and you'll likely meet some folks of like mind. I haven't found a problem meeting people who share my politics, though I've always had some friends who are wayyy on the other end of the spectrum.

What bonehead ("the opt-out') would try to "protect" junior from a school address by the President (no matter WHO holds the office) of our country? Yes, I know there are a lot of them out there....sheesh.
I"m amazed at people who consider themselves Patriots, yet support this nonsense. If it was ok-fine for Presidents Reagan and HW Bush, why wouldn't it be ok now?

Old 09-07-2009, 10:23 AM

9 posts, read 27,997 times
I live in Sonoma also and want you to know that there a few of us Democrats around. Let me know if you'd like to get together and we can get together and I'll introduce you to the others I know. Private message me if you want.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:36 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl
What bonehead ("the opt-out') would try to "protect" junior from a school address by the President (no matter WHO holds the office)
My assumption is that had it been four years earlier and GWB was
about to do the same thing, a similar number of parents would be
doing the same thing. Different parents, however.

If I were a parent and I'm NOT thank-you-very-much, I would let Jr.
go and discuss it with him/her before and after if I was of the belief
that there was an attempted indoctrination going on.

How is the sprog ever going to learn critical thinking if they are continually
isolated from discussions, speaches, and arguments? I used to listen to
my parents political views and anytime I heard stuff like that, I used to
try to relate what I was hearing to what they told me was their view.

It's like opting out of gym class for fear of getting hurt or losinga game.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:25 AM

You're probably right, tecpatl. Actually I know you are.

Mortimer, you are also right -- kids need to hear all view points and form their own opinions, and to respect differing ones.

Somersaunt -- thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces