U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-28-2007, 02:43 PM

253 posts, read 1,162,763 times
Default Spanish & employment

My husband and I are planning to spend the late summer in Las Cruces to get a feel for the area and see if we want to stay in S. NM. While we have enough savings $ to get us by, we might want to pick up part time jobs just for some extra money. I'm curious about being bilingual, and any advantages. My Spanish is at best, pidgin-level (broken grammar) and my husband isn't even close.

Is it a deterrent to not speak fluent Spanish when looking for part time work? Say at a hotel, restaurant, bar, convenience store, etc. I'm just trying to think of the type of jobs that don't require much experience and that are typical of high turnover.

Whether we look for work or not, I'm mostly just curious about what the service industry looks for in employees and if bilinguality is a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 03:47 PM

178 posts, read 523,377 times
No, you don't need Spanish for those kinds of jobs. But for many government jobs and some other kind of office work , along with some jobs in the medical/nursing home field you might need Spanish. Good luck

Old 05-28-2007, 11:50 PM

79 posts, read 206,893 times
I am born and raised in New Mexico (never lived anywhere else) and I do not speak spanish. Here and there I have picked-up a few words, but mostly because the streets are nemed them. You do not need to know the meaning of the spanish-named street, so don't worry about that either.
Enjoy your stay in 'Cruces!
Rose

Old 05-29-2007, 06:34 AM

32,923 posts, read 26,410,850 times
When we move there I expect I'll reawaken the high school spanish. In the meantime I expect that Gracias, De nada. will go a long way.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:29 AM

425 posts, read 566,324 times
You shouldn't have any problems. The majority of the people I met that spoke Spanish were bilingual. If you really needed someone to speak a little Spanish, there is usually someone else around who can translate. The Spanish that was spoken in Southern New Mexico is not the Spanish that we learned in high school. I have a couple of friends who are fluent in Spanish, but are not native Spanish speakers. My friends said they were unable to converse with the locals in Spanish because the local Spanish has a lot of slang in it. If you listen in, you'll notice that you'll hear a few recognizable Spanish words, probably some Spanish you don't understand, and a few English words thrown in.

I didn't live in Las Cruces. I can only imagine that it is like other areas in New Mexico and across the country that need help. If you are willing to work and can pass a drug screening test, you should have plenty of employment opportunities especially if you are looking for jobs in areas with a high turnover.

Good Luck! I hope you enjoy your stay.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:26 AM

271 posts, read 745,884 times
I have been in Las Cruces many times, I even owe a piece of property there. During all my visits to Las Cruces I always felt that I was in an American city where English is the natual language, in fact I met some people with Hispanic names who didn't speak Spanish. If one needs to speak Spanish to be able to live in Las Cruces, we would be having a very serious problem. Even in San Antonio, TX where there is a higher percentage of Hispanics, English is still the "official" language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces