Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:00 PM

11 posts, read 36,799 times

Advertisements

Since the school has a small number of students, and the classrooms are further divided into smaller groups, the curriculum is tailored for each student’s needs. My son attended one of the public schools for his first grade. I was not concerned much on his reading and writing, since he was sent to read with the 2nd grade students. But with math it was a different situation. Often when I gave him a simple problem, he would randomly guess numbers without even trying to tackle the problem. The same problem goes with his peers. After I enrolled him in LCA, for the first few months, I didn’t see much progress and was a little uneasy about it. It turns out the teachers were carefully assessing each student’s math skills, and beginning them at an appropriate level. Rather than having students mechanically memorize answers, the teachers encourage logical thinking. They use games, chess, puzzles, and other techniques to get the point across. So the kids a) are not intimidated by math, b) enjoy problem solving, and c) have become comfortable and proficient. I was rather surprised to find my son able to easily add and subtract three digit numbers correctly in a timely manner. The school is small right now and there are some administrative items that need to be streamlined, but I think it will grow. Las Cruces is small, but there are plenty of University professors, doctors, scientists, etc. in town that would like their kids to get the best education possible. The best part about it is we have easy communication with the teachers. During parent teacher conferences, the parents make suggestions and recommendations openly, and the teachers try to incorporate sound recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 07:33 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,829 times
We still have not heard from LCA yet. Maybe they are too afraid to turn down their first kid, lol.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:46 PM

There is rather a thorough selection process for getting accepted at LCA. Though the school is small, LCA's school philosophy has been to build a strong student population than build numbers. I will ask Dr. Kay about it and hope you hear from the school soon.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:24 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,829 times
I called the director today and found out my daughter was accepted. I am very excited -- I think it will be a wonderful opportunity for her!

Old 04-23-2010, 05:30 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
I called the director today and found out my daughter was accepted. I am very excited -- I think it will be a wonderful opportunity for her!
Congratulations!

Old 04-26-2010, 09:47 PM

Good to hear that!

Old 04-27-2010, 11:21 AM

36 posts, read 102,805 times
Congratulations! It's wonderful to see a new, exciting option for gifted education here. I've heard wonderful things about Las Cruces Academy, and I know the Chinese teacher personally. She definitely has lots of experience with gifted kiddos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces