U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-04-2006, 04:07 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,926,499 times

Advertisements

Is it close enough to commute to El Paso everyday? Are their any suburbs in New Mexico of El Paso, and what are they like? Would it be ceaper to live in El Paso or Las Cruses?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2006, 04:54 PM

142 posts, read 478,189 times
Arrow Doable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy
Is it close enough to commute to El Paso everyday? Are their any suburbs in New Mexico of El Paso, and what are they like? Would it be ceaper to live in El Paso or Las Cruses?
Greetings,

The commute from El Paso to Las Cruces is approx. 46 miles - it would take about 45 minutes to an hour travel time.

El Paso never imppressed me as somewhere I would want to reside.

El Paso would be a more economical place to reside than Las Cruces.

Your decision.

Good Luck.

Old 08-04-2006, 05:00 PM

9,043 posts, read 12,362,873 times
Las Cruces, NM, is 45-50 miles from El Paso.

There are two towns very close by El Paso in New Mexico....Santa Teresa and Sunland Park. Some people move from El Paso to cut their property taxes, but the real estate is more expensive there, and New Mexico has a state income tax, which Texas does not.

Seems like a wash to me.

Real Estate is definitely going to be more expensive in Las Cruces than El Paso.

Old 08-04-2006, 10:56 PM

828 posts, read 3,524,110 times
Cathy, Texas makes up for no state tax with a high tax for schools with your property. Like one of my cousins live in Texas has a 2,000 square foot house in the DFW area and school tax with the property tax is 2,800 a year. My aunt in Denver City, TX pays lower taxes but still the property school tax is quite high.

Old 08-05-2006, 06:55 AM

...pays lower taxes but still the property school tax is quite high.

Yes, it does take quite a bite out of it. Recent new legislation was passed that might help alleviate some of that, but I sort of have my doubts as to how much it will really help.

I don't have any experience with a state income tax, since I have lived in TX all of my life other than a short work-related stint (better word, stink) in MS for 6 months.

What's strange about New Mexico...it is generally a poor (economically-speaking) state, yet I'm finding that real estate prices are much higher in many places.

Old 08-05-2006, 08:20 PM

34 posts, read 177,625 times
Default So True

Cathy, you are so right about the "lower housing costs" not being off-set by other aspects of NM life. If the housing is cheap, it is because it is cheap housing. Folks need to look closely at what this very site shows about wages. Yes, these are median wages, but they are incredibly low compared to housing costs, and fuel costs, even though NM is a top producer of crude and natural gas. Food is more expensive, even though NM is a major producer of agriculture. Something is dreadfully wrong with NM.
In this thread, what we all need to know is why they want to live close to El Paso, and why they think living in NM is a viable option.

Old 08-05-2006, 10:01 PM

54 posts, read 206,209 times
Disenchanted, I cannot speak for others but I will try to answer your question why we would want to live close to El Paso, TX or in New Mexico. First though, I'm quite curious about the name "Disenchanted", that would imply that once you were "enchanted" it would be helpful to know what happened. You sound like an intelligent woman and so I can't help wondering why you would stay somewhere you hate (is that too strong a word?) Most of us I think, stay somewhere we're unhappy because of work, or family.

We are not ignorant, the employment that we would take certainly will keep us in a style of living that we're used to. The homes are no more expensive in NM than most of the US, I have looked. The weather is just gorgeous IMHO. Yes, I know it's not perfect.. but pretty close most of the time. I know it's not everyones cup of tea but I think the desert is beautiful, the higher elevations are unbelievable! That's still not enough to pick up and move though..we will be close to my Texan hubbys family, without the humidity. The schools in Las Cruces have passed the AYP for the most part some small areas not affecting us didn't. I will tell you that the majority of New Mexican natives who have responded to all of our questions have given well balanced, all the good and bad info about the areas in question. They have not looked down their noses at us, even if they don't care to live in New Mexico any longer.

Oh, crime is not rampant in Las Cruces, probably more in line with US average. I'm not a criminal, don't involve myself in crime so I'm not going to live my life in fear..no offense to those who don't believe..but God will take me when it's my time.

There are reasons that I cannot explain why I AM enchanted with New Mexico, have you never been anywhere and you just loved being there? Probably those reasons ARE more heart than brain...

Sorry about getting long winded..just one more thing, while the greater part of my life I've never had to worry about feeding or clothing my children, and have lived in a beautiful home...I can tell you that the housing that you call "cheap" is the where "they" call HOME. My husband and I as a young US Navy couple lived in a trailer.. and we were no less happy than we are now.

Old 08-05-2006, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disenchanted
In this thread, what we all need to know is why they want to live close to El Paso, and why they think living in NM is a viable option.
Well, what is funny? The housing in El Paso is more like that in New Mexico, rather than the rest of Texas.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:33 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,926,499 times
Thanks for the help.... I was actually wanting to know if New Mexco was cheaper than living in El Paso, but it sounds like Texas would be cheaper.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:55 AM

44 posts, read 181,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy
Thanks for the help.... I was actually wanting to know if New Mexco was cheaper than living in El Paso, but it sounds like Texas would be cheaper.
The cost of living in El Paso is a lot cheaper than the cost of living in New Mexico these days. The property taxes can get a bit high in Texas though. But overall, I think you get more bang for your buck especially when it comes to buying a house in El Paso than you do in New Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces