Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 11:05 PM

52 posts, read 228,239 times

Advertisements

Hey....I need an opthamologist....not an optometrist....any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 01:26 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Yes. Dr. Shah is the best. Avista Eye Center, 3100 W Charleston Blvd. at Campbell, 258-2020. Shah Tapan R MD Ltd | Las Vegas, NV | DexKnows.com™

Old 06-13-2010, 09:29 AM

52 posts, read 228,239 times
hey thanks Buzz....I'll look up the doctor know

Old 06-13-2010, 09:44 AM

422 posts, read 1,084,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Yes. Dr. Shah is the best. Avista Eye Center, 3100 W Charleston Blvd. at Campbell, 258-2020. Shah Tapan R MD Ltd | Las Vegas, NV | DexKnows.com™
I went to Dr. Sylvain, in that same office, and now see Dr. Tapan. Dr. Sylvain noticed what he thought was a rip in my retina and monitored it until he finally confirmed a tear. He sent me immediately to the Retina Center on West Charleston where the doctor (forgot name) lasered it. No problems since, that was 5 years ago. The strange part is I had no problems when he recognized it, but it could have lead to permanent blindness. Now see Dr. Shah for follow up and test. He is worth recommending.

Last edited by whyhateme; 06-13-2010 at 09:58 AM..

Old 07-28-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyhateme View Post
I went to Dr. Sylvain, in that same office, and now see Dr. Tapan. Dr. Sylvain noticed what he thought was a rip in my retina and monitored it until he finally confirmed a tear. He sent me immediately to the Retina Center on West Charleston where the doctor (forgot name) lasered it. No problems since, that was 5 years ago. The strange part is I had no problems when he recognized it, but it could have lead to permanent blindness. Now see Dr. Shah for follow up and test. He is worth recommending.
Well, this is two years late, but thought I'd mention that "Tapan" is Dr. Shah's first name. The Dr. at the Retina Center is also my doctor, Dr. Russell Jayne. He fixed my torn retina several years ago, and he sent me to Dr. Shah because of other health problems that require regular exams by an ophthalmologist. Now I see each one every year, about six months apart.

I got back on this thread because I have a question. Has anyone had cataract surgery using the "blended vision" technique? Dr. Shah wants to do surgery for cataracts and implant blended vision lenses, as well as do laser surgery to cure my astigmatism.

The idea of being able to see without glasses is pretty exciting, but I'm concerned. For about seven years now, Dr. Shah has told me I will need cataract surgery some day, but not to let anyone "sell" me on it before I need it. If we live long enough everyone will get cataracts eventually, they say.

But what concerns me is that just before my last appointment in May, his office called to tell me he had joined Dr. Abrams' group and I should go to the new office for the appointment. That put me on guard, but I went. When I saw the office and the advertising on the signs it raised another red flag.

Then a not too bright nurse gave me an eye exam, and finally the doctor came in and said, without looking in my eyes, the reason I was having a problem, which I didn't know I had, was because it was time to operate on my right eye. He said to come back in a month and we'd schedule the surgery. Didn't tell me much about it though. He did say we'd do the other eye "later".

I went back this week thinking I'd see the doc, but only got measurements from a tech. Then they turned me over (like in a car dealership) to a "counselor", who talked so fast and furiously I had to interrupt her several times to ask questions. She wanted to sell me the optional astigmatism surgery which isn't paid for by insurance, and said it would be $1750 for each eye, and they surgeries are done 2 to 4 weeks apart ...not just "later". Yesterday I remembered that I've been told before that I only have astigmatism in my right eye, not both. Hmmmmm? New concern.

I finally told her this reminds me of the time I went to Dr. Buzzard, the eye doc that lost his license and was run out of town for doing hundreds of unnecessary surgeries. He admitted I didn't have cataracts, but said I'd get them eventually so I might as well have the surgery, then he turned me over to his high pressure sales "nurse" to convince me to do it.

I got a second opinion. No need for surgery. Then I started going to Dr. Shah a few years after that and he kept saying the same thing; no need for surgery. Surgery is serious stuff. Now it's, "eye surgery is simple stuff".

When I broke in to the sales pitch and mentioned Dr. Buzzard to the "surgery counselor", she informed me that Dr. Abrams and most of the staff there had worked for Dr. Buzzard.

Now I'm worried that Dr. Shah may have gone over to the Dark Side. I want to see better, but am I being scammed? What do you all think?

Old 07-28-2012, 06:04 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Get a second opinion, again. Vision is just too important. Pushing eye surgery like an assembly line makes me nervous. Sounds like you may be getting a new doctor -- I'd be staying away from any practice that advertises. The rest of the stuff they were doing makes that even more clear to me.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:19 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
My doctor point blank said that these procedures are too risky for the average person with average vision problems. I have a friend in Florida who has halo-vision so bad in one of her eyes from lasik that she now wears an eyepatch. Worst part is, this was the first eye they did, so now they won't risk damaging the other eye. So she can barely see out of one eye and has halo vision in the other. When you think about it that way, glasses aren't so bad.

I think it's an unacceptable risk. But I also think parachuting and bungee jumping are unacceptable risks.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:41 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Here is a place where I mostly agree with Scoop.

I am also a patient of Dr. Jayne...the world's most efficient doctor. He blasted my retinal tear successfully...and that was about four years ago and he continues to tell me it looks good.

I alternate between he and...

Eye Clinic Of Las Vegas
Marietta Nelson M.D
2800 N Tenaya Way Ste 102
Las Vegas, NV 89128

(702) 384-2020

Dr. Nelson is a mature lady who wears glasses and tells it like it is. Often running around with a student in tow. We have discussed Lasik on occasion and I have agreed that I will pursue the treatment right after she does.

She does tell me that I will need cataract surgery eventually but she says not for a while. I particularly can see reasonably well at night which is apparently a good sign that I don't need it yet. I have other problems...particularly double vision...that are more of an immediate need.

So I suggest Nelson for a second opinion. And not a bad practitioner She takes forever to get an appointment unless you suggest an immediate problem...then she gets you in right now.

I like that.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Here is a place where I mostly agree with Scoop.

I am also a patient of Dr. Jayne...the world's most efficient doctor. He blasted my retinal tear successfully...and that was about four years ago and he continues to tell me it looks good.

I alternate between he and...

Eye Clinic Of Las Vegas
Marietta Nelson M.D
2800 N Tenaya Way Ste 102
Las Vegas, NV 89128

(702) 384-2020

Dr. Nelson is a mature lady who wears glasses and tells it like it is. Often running around with a student in tow. We have discussed Lasik on occasion and I have agreed that I will pursue the treatment right after she does.

She does tell me that I will need cataract surgery eventually but she says not for a while. I particularly can see reasonably well at night which is apparently a good sign that I don't need it yet. I have other problems...particularly double vision...that are more of an immediate need.

So I suggest Nelson for a second opinion. And not a bad practitioner She takes forever to get an appointment unless you suggest an immediate problem...then she gets you in right now.

I like that.
Thanks lvoc and everyone. I'm considering finding a new doctor. Does she do cataract surgery if you need it? I mentioned to my GP that I might be getting the surgery and she thought is was a good idea, but she isn't an eye doctor. My wife went to Dr. Siems and has been extremely happy with her lasik surgery. Up to now I've trusted Dr. Shah, but this is making me wonder. I really don't think I have the symptoms of cataracts, but I can't really tell. Too much astigmatism now. I'm thinking of calling Dr. Jayne to see what he thinks.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:24 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Thanks lvoc and everyone. I'm considering finding a new doctor. Does she do cataract surgery if you need it? I mentioned to my GP that I might be getting the surgery and she thought is was a good idea, but she isn't an eye doctor. My wife went to Dr. Siems and has been extremely happy with her lasik surgery. Up to now I've trusted Dr. Shah, but this is making me wonder. I really don't think I have the symptoms of cataracts, but I can't really tell. Too much astigmatism now. I'm thinking of calling Dr. Jayne to see what he thinks.
Been my experience with Jayne that he will not venture an opinion on anything not retinal related and will in fact push you to go back to your ophthalmologist if he sees something suspicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: