U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-19-2010, 10:39 PM

110 posts, read 131,499 times
Question Musicians, Singers, Composers - Las Vegas or Nashville?

I grew up playing drums as a kid with jazz, then Elvis and rock, as a hobby, but had other full time job. My daughter has developed much better than I did in the 90's with piano, guitar, singing and song writing. San Diego is not the greatest place to use these skills and desires, so we are looking at LV or Nashville possibly. Happy to hear your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-19-2010, 10:52 PM

2,547 posts, read 3,740,542 times
Vegas would be better for rock and jazz. Besides, Nashville is under water now.

Unread 06-20-2010, 12:48 AM

47 posts, read 56,446 times
Why is San Diego not good for music? Secondly, what made you choose between Nashville and Vegas for music?

Unread 06-20-2010, 11:36 AM

San Diego is still in housing bubble price land, so not realistic for artistic types, and never has been IMO. I know LV somewhat, and have some friends in Nashville who recommend living there, but are not music types. Both places are much more affordable now than during the bubble.

Unread 06-20-2010, 12:55 PM

11 posts, read 8,918 times
Tomfirst, Firt of all, i don´t know anything about the real music scence in Las Vegas or Nashville to be honest, but i want to share a couple of things from a musician who is crossing this new digital era music as a musician and has to find new ways to make money from music besides from playing live.

I am a musician-songwriter, my suggestion is that one of the most important thing in these times (at least as a songwriter who wants to make some money from their music, maybe your daughter wants to start recording her own songs and to sell them) it is to know and understand the new music business model or the new ways to make money in this damage music industry thanks to the piracy, downloads, etc.
Music is just moving into the internet download mp3 and cell phone business.
Now is the time where you can do everything from your own home, with a regular PC or MAC you can record and prepare an entire production.....at the same time you can make an agreement with a digital music distributor (there are a couple of them right now), and from then.....depends how many you sell, it is how many $$ you get for royalties or cd sales.
But the tools for make music as a songwriter, musician or producer are now in our hands....20 years ago, that was impossible, because we always was needing a Label Record (you don´t need it anymore), something to record (you have your Pc or at least maybe you have a friend that can do it for you), Record distribution (we don´t need it anymore), someone to sell our merchandising, souvenir etc (you have Mr. Internet) ......so....now as a musicians, songwriters and producers....we are free, at least much more....

I had been living in San Diego, and at least for me, was very difficult to see any way of living playing live as a musician, guitar player or singer.

So, a creative person can´t stop, ....because music and arts....just flow through our body.
I know this post was about to be a musician in Las Vegas or Nashville, but i just want to share with you my point of view....maybe your daughter or you can make a balance between playing live music and making your own music productions at home $$. (royalties are an awesome passive income)

By the way, i´m starting right now my own music productions, everything is going to be online....because now is the right moment to do it......i will encourage to you and your daughter to think about it....and start to share and sell your soul passion to the world.....MUSIC IS LOVE.

Saúl

Unread 06-20-2010, 11:20 PM

Please focus on my question post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas