Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 12:01 PM

399 posts, read 1,026,188 times

Advertisements

When people in Henderson and Boulder City tell people the name of their town and are then asked where those places are, don't they say "near Las Vegas?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 12:55 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdreloc View Post
When people in Henderson and Boulder City tell people the name of their town and are then asked where those places are, don't they say "near Las Vegas?"
Boulder City is a town near Las Vegas...

Henderson is really a city in Las Vegas...

When people think of Las Vegas they think of the strip. The strip of course is not in the city of Las Vegas...but is in Clark County...

So people are really thinking of Clark County when the think of Las Vegas. At that point you can consider Las Vegas, North Las Vegas and Henderson as three of the component cities which, when connected with the rest of Clark County comprise that conceptual Las Vegas.

I tend to leave out Boulder City though it is in Clark County. It is however geographically removed from the Las Vegas Valley.

You might consider Mesquite, Overton, Laughlin, Searchlight, Jean, Primm and Pahrump as near to Las Vegas though the distances are rather long and the civilization in some of those pretty limited.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:04 PM

33 posts, read 118,431 times
Most of the area has a suburban feel. What is very limited is areas with an urban feel. Plenty of places with detached single family homes and neighborhood feels. North end of strip area has a bunch of hi-rises up, I guess that would be urban. Also downtown las vegas is somewhat urban. Nothing like NYC of course.
If you're looking for suburban then you have a myriad of choices.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:39 AM

174 posts, read 969,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
I agree with olecapt, unless I had a strong desire to be in a certain area, I would base it off where I worked.

Summerlin is:
1) IMO a little nicer overall than Henderson (and I live in Henderson)
2) More expensive housing, apples to apples
3) Has a master plan association fee to cover landscaping in the Summerlin area. I think this runs around $30/mo and is on top of any other homeowners association fees you might have.
4) Closer to Red Rock, if you like to go there.
5) Mostly newer areas, less options outside of track homes.
6) Can be a little cooler (couple degrees) than Henderson due to slightly higher elevation depending on the area in Henderson you're comparing to.

Henderson is:
1) Cheaper than Summerlin
2) Closer to Lake Mead, if you're into boating
3) Some newer and older areas, depending on what you're looking for.
Missed one for Henderson: When it rains, they get more than Summerlin.

Also, Master Plan fees for Summerlin now run between $40 & $47 per month depending on location.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 9,410 times
We are possibly relocating from SF to nv. I have a job at Sunrise Childrens Hosp. We have 3 kids 7,9,10 and in a escellent public school. We are considering Henderson but not sure....any suggestions?

Old 03-03-2011, 03:54 PM

150 posts, read 636,169 times
I have lived in Henderson and the NW. I have friends that live in Summerlin. Personally I prefer the NW. Has a more open feel to it since you can get some decent lots and also live in the County area and less houses where you can shake hands out the window to your neighbor. Only 20 minutes to Mt. Charleston and can still get to strip in 20 minutes too.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karyn31 View Post
We are possibly relocating from SF to nv. I have a job at Sunrise Childrens Hosp. We have 3 kids 7,9,10 and in a escellent public school. We are considering Henderson but not sure....any suggestions?
Sunrise is an awkward location. The only nearby location that would be reasonable for a family with three kids is the LVCC...which is right across the street. That however would leave a problem with schools. It is very unlikely that you would find the local schools acceptable so you would have to go private.

Neither Henderson or Summerlin or the NW is obvious from that locale. Probably somewhat easier to the NW or Summerlin but not much different than Henderson.

I would base such a decision on the economics. For the good school systems the NW is less expensive by about 20% than the good school districts in Summerlin or Henderson. If however that is not an issue either Henderson or Summerlin will work.

Note that the northern section of Aliante in NLV is also quite nice and offers some features that are superior to the NW at the cost of a higher Master Plan fee.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:56 PM

11 posts, read 38,786 times
Default Sum vs Hen

We lived in Summerlin. Moved after my son started middle school. With all the building he was rezoned 3 times in a year. We moved to Boulder City, which is about 10 minutes outside of Henderson, because there is one elementary, middle school and high school. Kids all go to school together all the way through. We like Henderson and there are some VERY nice areas that are very family friendly. Green valley ranch is a nice master planned community within Henderson. I also like the 89002 area as it has horse property and custom homes w/ bigger lots.
The schools in Henderson are better, in general, than Las Vegas schools. Just check out greatschools.org. Many are award winning like GV high school. All of Boulder City's schools do VERY well.
I did like Summerlin, but Henderson, and certainly Boulder City, has more of a family and community feel.
Good luck with your move!

Old 03-06-2011, 03:06 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
I live in the NW, and worked on the same street as Sunrise, about a block and a half south. It is about 13 miles each way and it would take me anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to get to work. As olecapt said, that area is in an awkward spot in town to get to, especially during heavy commutes. Not near a freeway (which you would avoid during commutes anyway), and a bit heavier traffic in that area. It's a condensed older area close to the country's largest convention center, a large indoor mall, about a gillion strip malls, a lot of old apartment complexes, and not very far off the Strip. It's also frequently listed as the highest crime area of town.

I prefer the NW, Summerlin, Desert Shores, or Peccole Ranch, but at times when I was was making a mad dash from one red light to the next, trying to get to work, I kind of thought the commute to Henderson would have been easier. But it's probably six of one, etc....

I don't think anyone has the answer to which are the best schools, but I tend to think the schools in Henderson might have some advantage. But, I'm prejudiced, as my daughter teaches at one of them. Probably no better than the schools in Summerlin or Centennial Hills.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlindie View Post
We lived in Summerlin. Moved after my son started middle school. With all the building he was rezoned 3 times in a year. We moved to Boulder City, which is about 10 minutes outside of Henderson, because there is one elementary, middle school and high school. Kids all go to school together all the way through. We like Henderson and there are some VERY nice areas that are very family friendly. Green valley ranch is a nice master planned community within Henderson. I also like the 89002 area as it has horse property and custom homes w/ bigger lots.
The schools in Henderson are better, in general, than Las Vegas schools. Just check out greatschools.org. Many are award winning like GV high school. All of Boulder City's schools do VERY well.
I did like Summerlin, but Henderson, and certainly Boulder City, has more of a family and community feel.
Good luck with your move!
We need to get it straight. There is only one school system and it is the Clark County School District and it is in fact a part of the state government. There is no Henderson School District nor Boulder City School District.

The primary school in Boulder City is a middle of the pack. Not nearly up to Summerlin or good Henderson. The middle school and high school are quite good.

Boulder City is a very nice place. It is however expensive and a difficult commute to most Las Vegas job locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas