U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-20-2010, 05:34 PM

37 posts, read 55,600 times
Default Summerlin -vs - Henderson Lifestyle

We're counting down the days to the big move on July 14, and have another question...

What is the difference between Summerlin and Henderson as far as lifestyle? For instance which is safer, is better for renting, has a variety of things to do, (and like what)?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 05:44 PM

15,757 posts, read 19,960,118 times
Henderson is a city. It has nice places and not so nice places.

Summerlin is a master planned community in the City of Las Vegas and Clark County. It has a somewhat narrower and higher range of housing than Henderson.

At any given price point they are interchangable.

And once you move to one they give you a course in how to knock the other.

I would pick after I know where I was working. Henderson if south end of the strip or east side. Summerlin if north strip or downtown or west side.

You could also go for the house you like best...that works too.

This is a small town..Live where you like...

Old 06-20-2010, 08:48 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,495,109 times
I agree with olecapt, unless I had a strong desire to be in a certain area, I would base it off where I worked.

Summerlin is:
1) IMO a little nicer overall than Henderson (and I live in Henderson)
2) More expensive housing, apples to apples
3) Has a master plan association fee to cover landscaping in the Summerlin area. I think this runs around $30/mo and is on top of any other homeowners association fees you might have.
4) Closer to Red Rock, if you like to go there.
5) Mostly newer areas, less options outside of track homes.
6) Can be a little cooler (couple degrees) than Henderson due to slightly higher elevation depending on the area in Henderson you're comparing to.

Henderson is:
1) Cheaper than Summerlin
2) Closer to Lake Mead, if you're into boating
3) Some newer and older areas, depending on what you're looking for.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:18 PM

506 posts, read 570,292 times
I agree with what olecapt and westie said. I've lived in both places. I liked the environment/feel of summerlin better; to me it was more scenic somehow. I also liked the dining and shopping options better there too, though there is definitely no shortage of that in Henderson. I also noticed the temperature difference.

One thing that might make another difference (depending on where you live in either place of course) is when we lived in Summerlin it took us forever to get anywhere. Our location right now in Henderson is close to highways and traveling to the strip/downtown/other areas is much quicker than when we lived in Summerlin (This is more of a concern to my room-mate than for me however; I mentioned lots of times how I'd like to move back to Summerlin, but he always brings this up).

[Probably not of any significance to anyone else but me, but when we lived in Summerlin, we were right across from this theater that played a lot of independent/small-budget films; now every awards season, I've got to make a 30+ minute trip multiple times to a place that I used to live like 2 minutes from. It's just kind of ironic--and one more importance difference between Summerlin and Henderson (at least to me)].

Old 06-21-2010, 12:27 AM

9,454 posts, read 14,346,419 times
i've never lived in either (i live in the nw) however i work in Henderson... I prefer Summerlin by far

Old 06-21-2010, 02:30 AM

12,441 posts, read 18,395,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
[Probably not of any significance to anyone else but me, but when we lived in Summerlin, we were right across from this theater that played a lot of independent/small-budget films; now every awards season, I've got to make a 30+ minute trip multiple times to a place that I used to live like 2 minutes from. It's just kind of ironic--and one more importance difference between Summerlin and Henderson (at least to me)].
That's actually a big selling point to me...I love that kind of stuff. Didn't realize Summerlin had that stuff.

I've only been in Summerlin once...and it just seemed very residential without much else going on...I had no idea they even had a theater in there, etc. Makes it sound more interesting.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 11,528 times
I want to move near Vegas , but do have kids and am worried about schools. My kids are 9, 9, 10. Would like to live in a more suburban feel, but close enough to be able to travel to Vegas for activities. We are coming from NY (not NYC, but upstate NY). What concerns regarding weather other than it is HOT? How about employment? How is traffic? We will probably rent a townhouse or condo in the beginning before we look to buy. Any suggestions on places to look? Thank you so much!

Old 10-02-2010, 11:03 PM

16,249 posts, read 11,042,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
I agree with olecapt, unless I had a strong desire to be in a certain area, I would base it off where I worked.

Summerlin is:
1) IMO a little nicer overall than Henderson (and I live in Henderson)
2) More expensive housing, apples to apples
3) Has a master plan association fee to cover landscaping in the Summerlin area. I think this runs around $30/mo and is on top of any other homeowners association fees you might have.
4) Closer to Red Rock, if you like to go there.
5) Mostly newer areas, less options outside of track homes.
6) Can be a little cooler (couple degrees) than Henderson due to slightly higher elevation depending on the area in Henderson you're comparing to.

Henderson is:
1) Cheaper than Summerlin
2) Closer to Lake Mead, if you're into boating
3) Some newer and older areas, depending on what you're looking for.
When it is 110 friggin degrees, you ain't gonna notice the difference!

Old 10-03-2010, 01:03 AM

399 posts, read 554,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldscott View Post
I want to move near Vegas , but do have kids and am worried about schools. My kids are 9, 9, 10. Would like to live in a more suburban feel, but close enough to be able to travel to Vegas for activities. We are coming from NY (not NYC, but upstate NY). What concerns regarding weather other than it is HOT? How about employment? How is traffic? We will probably rent a townhouse or condo in the beginning before we look to buy. Any suggestions on places to look? Thank you so much!
"How about employment?" So, you are saying you are planning to move to Las Vegas with your kids while needing to find employment?
Probably not a good idea.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:23 AM

11,349 posts, read 19,450,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldscott View Post
Near Las Vegas? Suburban feel? You won't find that here. "Near" Las Vegas is open desert that will never be anything but open desert as only 13% of the state is private property; the rest (87%) is controlled by the Federal Bureau of Land Management (BLM).

This town is a large metro area in the middle of the wide, empty desert; not at all like the high density, small spaces in the east. We don't have a town every five miles here like you do. If you look at a map of Nevada you'll see few highways. You might see lots of place names, but that's all they are ...names. Nothing there ...period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas