Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 07:49 PM

124 posts, read 174,014 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just moved to SD from the East and, after not driving much for almost 10 years, I am getting used to it again. It is nerve-wracking along these interstates, to say the least (although people here are very patient with my creeping along -- so much nicer than the East). I have to drive from SD to LV in a few months and am wondering: do I have to drive through mountains? I am absolutely terrified of heights, to the point of panic attacks, and you have REAL mountains here, with dropoffs, not like the cozy wooded big hills I am used to. I got the directions off google but since I dont know the terrain I dont know how to interpret it. I hope I didnt bite off more than I could chew with this move.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 08:35 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,783,561 times
There are a few mountain areas that you will have to pass. Make the trip at night you won't realize have high up you are.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:39 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,072,689 times
I make this trip regularly (Vegas to SD and back). It's easy, you just basically take the I-15 (some parts in CA are the I-215) all the way up to Vegas. It's all interstate.

The only mountain area is the El Cajon pass, which is like 4 lanes each direction so it's not like you're going to fall off the edge of a cliff. That's the main drag between all of So Cal and Vegas so it's really well traveled and nothing to be worried about.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:40 PM

123 posts, read 271,507 times
Watch out for Baker grade......if you make it to the top ok....you get extra points. Just hope you're not in front of me. I don't know if you pray....but I always pray when the plane lands...when the plane takes off...and when I start up the Baker grade. Car overheated one time...that's all it takes to instill permanent fear. Oh...and I'm from the East also. So are a gazilian other drivers out there. We do change our plates when we move here...so you can't tell. Be careful. Good luck. Oh...and it's ok to click on the 'Rate this post positively' in the lower left corner. I could use the extra Reps. Who knows...I may have saved you from a horrific accident.

Last edited by tomfirst; 06-20-2010 at 10:08 PM..

Old 06-21-2010, 11:33 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,472,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
I make this trip regularly (Vegas to SD and back). It's easy, you just basically take the I-15 (some parts in CA are the I-215) all the way up to Vegas. It's all interstate.

The only mountain area is the El Cajon pass, which is like 4 lanes each direction so it's not like you're going to fall off the edge of a cliff. That's the main drag between all of So Cal and Vegas so it's really well traveled and nothing to be worried about.
I agree, though I really don't like the Mountain Pass area, we tend to drive to Cali at night to avoid the heat and the traffic, and it's so dark, you really don't notice the mountains or how high you are...that helps a lot!

Old 06-21-2010, 11:49 AM

1,966 posts, read 4,341,409 times
The Cajon Pass is the one range that you really need to pay attention because you get vehicles that overheat and catch fire (saw a tractor trailer catch on fire coming back from L.A.). Plus you get the crazy motorcyclists that do the lane-splitting at 80 mph

Also at times you get fog at the very top which happened to me driving into L.A. one morning a couple of months ago. Best advice is to increase following distance.

Baker Pass and Mountain Pass aren't bad at all, just keep an eye on your speed.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:37 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,243,901 times
Just pop in a nice Hooverphonic CD along the way to take the edge off.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:13 PM

10,029 posts, read 9,504,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonics View Post
Hi,

I just moved to SD from the East and, after not driving much for almost 10 years, I am getting used to it again. It is nerve-wracking along these interstates, to say the least (although people here are very patient with my creeping along -- so much nicer than the East). I have to drive from SD to LV in a few months and am wondering: do I have to drive through mountains? I am absolutely terrified of heights, to the point of panic attacks, and you have REAL mountains here, with dropoffs, not like the cozy wooded big hills I am used to. I got the directions off google but since I dont know the terrain I dont know how to interpret it. I hope I didnt bite off more than I could chew with this move.

Thanks.
Your best bet is to take the trip as MomMom suggested. Good luck and don't forget to try the bunjee jump on top of the Stratosphere.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:59 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times
My route from FL to LV was different. Most of the "big" mountains were in west Texas, and in northwestern AZ

However I was too focused on the road to notice how high up I may or may not have been. Riding through the mountains on Route 93 in AZ between Wickenburh and Kingman was a real experience I'll never forget

Just keep focused on the road, and you will be just fine. I'd prefer NOT to ride through mountains at night MomMom, I dont know, something about driving through mountainous terrain at night scares me

Old 06-22-2010, 09:04 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
the mountains arent bad....[originally from Colorado] what is bad is the traffic....don't come to LV on Friday and dont go home on Sun ... We topped Baker Grade and started down one Sunday....I was barely keepin up with traffic...wife said [calmly] "DO YOU HAVE ANY FREAKIN IDEA HOW FREAKIN FAST YOU ARE GOING." I looked down.....111FREAKIN MPH IN A FREAKIN COROLLA and they were passinme like I"d put out the anchor....I no longer go there on Sunday....we travel OPPOSITE the loosers [I mean visitors]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas