Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 09:13 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,890,520 times

Advertisements

A few minutes ago I was browsing some of the ranking lists on here, and I noticed that for the low humidity rankings, the top 6 are all in the Vegas valley.

It kind of made me do a double-take, since I didn't even realize that there were six 50k+ cities in the valley. Then I remembered that Spring Valley, Paradise, and Sunrise Manor are statistically looked at separately from Las Vegas. It just strikes me as being very strange. These "cities" all use Las Vegas in their mailing address, and I believe they all fall under city of Las Vegas jurisdiction (unless I'm wrong here?...but I'm pretty sure that at least Paradise does).

So I was just wondering if anyone knows why exactly they aren't included in city of Las Vegas statistics?

North Las Vegas and Henderson can easily be called their own cities because they have their own local governments, their own police, and so on. But I've never heard of Paradise or Sunrise Manor or Spring Valley doing anything independently; it seems like they've always operated under the city of Las Vegas. So wouldn't it make more sense for them be included in the stats for city of Las Vegas?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 02:07 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,061,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
A few minutes ago I was browsing some of the ranking lists on here, and I noticed that for the low humidity rankings, the top 6 are all in the Vegas valley.

It kind of made me do a double-take, since I didn't even realize that there were six 50k+ cities in the valley. Then I remembered that Spring Valley, Paradise, and Sunrise Manor are statistically looked at separately from Las Vegas. It just strikes me as being very strange. These "cities" all use Las Vegas in their mailing address, and I believe they all fall under city of Las Vegas jurisdiction (unless I'm wrong here?...but I'm pretty sure that at least Paradise does).

So I was just wondering if anyone knows why exactly they aren't included in city of Las Vegas statistics?

North Las Vegas and Henderson can easily be called their own cities because they have their own local governments, their own police, and so on. But I've never heard of Paradise or Sunrise Manor or Spring Valley doing anything independently; it seems like they've always operated under the city of Las Vegas. So wouldn't it make more sense for them be included in the stats for city of Las Vegas?

Thoughts?
The biggest municipal government in the Las Vegas Valley is Clark County..

Enterprise, Paradise, Lone Mountain, Sunrise, Spring Valley are all parts of Clark County. The are NOT in the City of Las Vegas.

The other municipalities are part of Clark County as well...but provide their own municipal government. The City of Las Vegas is one of these municipalities.

The Clark County towns have virtually no independent government. An advisory panel on land use and zoning is about it. So Clark County is a single big city...just does not openly admit it.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:02 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,665,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post

Thoughts?
Unlike most places in the USA, the governmentmental functions in Las Vegas are all done by the county and not the city. The city government pretty much exist for photo ops and ribbon cuttings. The schools, airport, police, fire and most everything are all ran by Clark County.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Unlike most places in the USA, the governmentmental functions in Las Vegas are all done by the county and not the city. The city government pretty much exist for photo ops and ribbon cuttings. The schools, airport, police, fire and most everything are all ran by Clark County.
Nope. It is a bit complicated.

The schools are actually part of the state government. They have nothing to do with the Clark County Government. As is the Southern Nevada Health District and some other stuff.

Police is a county function paid for by the County and the City of Las Vegas. NLV and Henderson have their own police forces and are not patrolled by Metro...Metro though is the County Sheriff and can operate wherever it wants. Practically though it gets paid to do Clark County and the City of Las Vegas.

Fire departments exist in all the municipalities. There is a City of Las Vegas Fire Dept, a Clark County Fire Dept, An NLV Fire Dept etc.

The Airport is a part of Clark County.

Things like business licenses and building permits must be obtained from the appropriate municipality.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:26 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,890,520 times
Hmmm...interesting. I guess it's just another thing we do differently here then.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,909 times
What are the exact boundary of City of Las Vegas?

Old 01-10-2011, 08:18 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,987,994 times
have to look on a map....

Old 01-11-2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaoxd View Post
What are the exact boundary of City of Las Vegas?
And impossibly complicated. There are hunks of Clark County surrounded by the various cities. And there are areas where it jumps back and forth lot by lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas