Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 03:07 PM

37 posts, read 122,766 times

Advertisements

Request for help again...

We're trying to make a short list of where to look for apartments when we get there in couple of weeks and thought we had settled on Summerlin, (or at least the 89117 area - which we thought was Summerlin but I guess it's not exactly).

But we've been told by a friend of my mom's who lives there that we should also consider either Southern Highlands. She said that Summerlin is expensive.

That got us thinking that we also haven't considered east of the strip. But not sure what is there and if it's worth looking at? Is that where Silverado Ranch is?

There is a good chance that at least one of us will be working somewhere on the strip so the commute will certainly be a major issue.

Thanks in advance for your highly appreciated response!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 04:24 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsushi View Post
Request for help again...

We're trying to make a short list of where to look for apartments when we get there in couple of weeks and thought we had settled on Summerlin, (or at least the 89117 area - which we thought was Summerlin but I guess it's not exactly).

But we've been told by a friend of my mom's who lives there that we should also consider either Southern Highlands. She said that Summerlin is expensive.

That got us thinking that we also haven't considered east of the strip. But not sure what is there and if it's worth looking at? Is that where Silverado Ranch is?

There is a good chance that at least one of us will be working somewhere on the strip so the commute will certainly be a major issue.

Thanks in advance for your highly appreciated response!!
I don't know. You guys are turning out to be more trouble than you are worth unless it is really great sushi....

Silverado is roughly 89123. The area is populated very heavily with strip workers. You will find them everywhere. It is a nice middle class area. The young flock to Manhattan and Park Avenue, particularly as renters. But there are also nice homes and relatively inexpensive.

Southern Highlands is not obvious. Few rentals. Basically a master plan mostly gated and ranging from relatively high density low cost to some lovely McMansions on the golf course. Very suburban. Very convenient to I15 and the strip. Not a good low end rental place. Certainly as expensive as Summerlin in living costs...and limited, but workable, local facilities.

To put it in context Southern Highlands is across the freeway from Silverado Ranch and a mile or two further south.

Given one of you is a strip worker head for Silverado. Why suffer? Then when you get organized I will be glad to sell you a house in Summerlin or Green Valley Ranch - another location pretty convenient to at least the south part of the strip.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:39 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,243,243 times
There is no comparison between Silverado Ranch and Southern Highlands. Just spend thirty min driving each area and see for yourself. Southern Highlands has an isolated feel, which makes for a quiet community. The nice thing about the community is the isolation is more perception vs reality.

Southern Highlands may lack some of the panache of Summerlin in terms of amenities, but it's a hidden gem of a community. The landscaping is lush, mature and the neighborhoods offer some rather livable floorplans although they are of medium density. The neighborhoods still offer a lot of curb appeal. There are many parks and walkable trails, attentive security and a decent HOA. The only apartment complex in the area is the Fairways at Southern Highlands. Check it out.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:46 PM

107 posts, read 326,402 times
Every time you need to go shopping you have to drive so far from Southern Highlands. The infrastructure just didn't really make it out that way very well.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:08 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
There is no comparison between Silverado Ranch and Southern Highlands. Just spend thirty min driving each area and see for yourself. Southern Highlands has an isolated feel, which makes for a quiet community. The nice thing about the community is the isolation is more perception vs reality.

Southern Highlands may lack some of the panache of Summerlin in terms of amenities, but it's a hidden gem of a community. The landscaping is lush, mature and the neighborhoods offer some rather livable floorplans although they are of medium density. The neighborhoods still offer a lot of curb appeal. There are many parks and walkable trails, attentive security and a decent HOA. The only apartment complex in the area is the Fairways at Southern Highlands. Check it out.
I like parts of Southern HIghlands. But I find much of it too dense and packed together. Yes the blvds are fine but some of the tracts are not. and note that the lower end tracts were devastated by the foreclosure mess and will have renter problems over the next years. I make the same comment about certain areas in Summerlin.

I would also find it somewhat unsuited to a rental. Somewhat awkward to get in and out of and only marginally serviced.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:19 PM

90 posts, read 184,992 times
I'm someone who recently searched and decided on a rental house. We found some of these Summerlin neighborhoods very *****. They're set up to be house-to-house, connected by sidewalks, with porches, front yards visible to the street and nothing else. Someone's idea of a harkening back to olden times, before the real world had automobiles? I don't know, but the lack of storage/garage/RV slash boat slash third-vehicle parking made it impossible to even consider. But I'm still puzzled. Why did they build them that way? Our agent said that Summerlin as a whole eschews the idea of RV parking. Alrighty. I took my $1600/mo somewhere else. We're in 89145 btw. Everything is so close together in the 89117 & environs I don't see how "Summerlin is expensive" is even relevant. So shop a mile down the road.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:29 AM

37 posts, read 122,766 times
Thank you all so much for your replies! Having all your advice while we're in the planning stage is awesome!

Olecapt, oh believe me, his sushi is fantastic. He's incredibly creative when it comes to taste. When he gets settled I'll let you know where so you can try it for yourself.

We live in the heart of Boston right now. So we're used to having a very close association with our neighbors. There is also an above ground subway line literally outside the door, that while convenient, is very noisy.

Having said that though, it would certainly be nice to have some space of any kind. We'll be renting an apartment at first so expect not to have that much privacy. But when it comes to eventually owning we will want a place with a yard that is more than a foot or two wide.

As for stores and other amenities, even though there are a ton of restaurants and clothes stores around us now, we have to drive a ways to get to anything like a Target, Costco, or even decent size grocery store. So having things close by will be a welcome change for us.

So it sounds like Southern Highlands is out. We're spending the first week at the La Quinta in the 89117 area so will get a good taste right off of what that's like.

One of the apartments on our list to look at is is in the 89147 area. How does that sound?

We've also now added Henderson to the list of places to check out. In the 89002 area.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:20 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,243,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I like parts of Southern HIghlands. But I find much of it too dense and packed together. Yes the blvds are fine but some of the tracts are not. and note that the lower end tracts were devastated by the foreclosure mess and will have renter problems over the next years. I make the same comment about certain areas in Summerlin.

I would also find it somewhat unsuited to a rental. Somewhat awkward to get in and out of and only marginally serviced.
Devastated? Hurt I would say, but not devastated.

With SoHi, there is a perception that it is way the heck out there and has no services. I have lived in SoHi nearly since its inception. There was a time when the nearest supermarket was in Silverado Ranch. Now we have one of the nicest grocery stores in the valley.

The truth is that there is rarely traffic coming in or out of the community which helps commute times. All I need for shopping is what lies on the easternmost side of Blue Diamond, which is a quick 5 minutes from the area (Target, Kohl's, Game Stop, In and Out Burger, Famous Dave's BBQ, etc). No nearby Walmart (Who Gives a crap). Town Square, Green Valley Ranch/District, The M and Silverton are all within a 15 minute drive. The rest of the valley is accessed easily via the I-15.

I do agree that many of the lower end communities have taken a beating, but nothing like Mountains Edge. Additionally, Southern Highlands is probably the last community that will be built with the type and density of trees lining the streets. It's a trade off. A lot of newer developments have high density coupled with zero setbacks on the sidewalks and streets. Southern Highlands doesn't have that problem. There is a sense of community spirit out here that I have never seen elsewhere.

I live in one of the nicer areas with no one living behind me and lots and lots of trees and space, which sort of skews my opinion a little. I have a bit of a gem out here. There are nice communities at every price point. There are a few lemons as well and a few gaps in pride of ownership in some cases. Nothing's perfect, but I think its pretty close out here.

The pros outweigh the cons for me.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:09 PM

56 posts, read 107,226 times
Default Southern Highlands - more info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
Devastated? Hurt I would say, but not devastated.

With SoHi, there is a perception that it is way the heck out there and has no services. I have lived in SoHi nearly since its inception. There was a time when the nearest supermarket was in Silverado Ranch. Now we have one of the nicest grocery stores in the valley.

The truth is that there is rarely traffic coming in or out of the community which helps commute times. All I need for shopping is what lies on the easternmost side of Blue Diamond, which is a quick 5 minutes from the area (Target, Kohl's, Game Stop, In and Out Burger, Famous Dave's BBQ, etc). No nearby Walmart (Who Gives a crap). Town Square, Green Valley Ranch/District, The M and Silverton are all within a 15 minute drive. The rest of the valley is accessed easily via the I-15.

I do agree that many of the lower end communities have taken a beating, but nothing like Mountains Edge. Additionally, Southern Highlands is probably the last community that will be built with the type and density of trees lining the streets. It's a trade off. A lot of newer developments have high density coupled with zero setbacks on the sidewalks and streets. Southern Highlands doesn't have that problem. There is a sense of community spirit out here that I have never seen elsewhere.

I live in one of the nicer areas with no one living behind me and lots and lots of trees and space, which sort of skews my opinion a little. I have a bit of a gem out here. There are nice communities at every price point. There are a few lemons as well and a few gaps in pride of ownership in some cases. Nothing's perfect, but I think its pretty close out here.

The pros outweigh the cons for me.
Hey Spraynard, can you tell me about the different areas of Southern Highlands, which ones to avoid and which ones to seek out? As you know prices have come down I may be lucky to get one cheap.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:28 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,010,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damania View Post
Hey Spraynard, can you tell me about the different areas of Southern Highlands, which ones to avoid and which ones to seek out? As you know prices have come down I may be lucky to get one cheap.
You're responding to a post from two years ago. The poster to whom you are addressing your question has not posted on this forum - or any forum on City Data for that matter - since September 2011, so don't expect a response. You may be better off starting your own thread to ask any specific questions you may have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas