Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 07:13 PM

422 posts, read 1,084,442 times

Advertisements

My '98 Honda's engine light would come on and go off, then it decided to stay permanently on. I didn't notice any change in the way it ran, and when I took it initially to the garage, I was told I needed a catalytic converter. Since the car was still running well, and it was a second car, I didn't want to spend the money, and was skeptical the catalytic converter was needed. However, to pass smog yearly, I would disconnect the battery overnight, reconnect, and run for about 25 miles (hoping engine light wouldn't come on, and it didn't if I didn't take out on highway and run 60 mph), and take in for smog test. It passed for 3 straight years doing this. I've since sold the car (told buyer also).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 01:45 PM

113 posts, read 306,129 times
Default Codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
This may sound ridiculously stupid, but check your gas cap. A check engine light can come on if your gas cap is loose or off. That happened to me once when I forgot to put the cap back on after filling the tank.
The gas cap will only throw a code for "evap leak" or "small evap leak"
so if you code is anything else,its not the gas cap.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:52 PM

6 posts, read 44,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Both of those codes are emissions related. Sounds like your EGR valve just needs to be cleaned out. And your EECSIPF is being affected by your EGR valve. You can do this easily yourself or take it to a respectable/honest mechanic and have them do it. They should not charge nore than $70 to do this. I know mechanics near the base that do this for $45.

Im a 10 year mechanic in the Air Force by the way.
You were right. Both error codes were due to the EGR valve being blocked.
I found the mechanic at the location you mentioned. The name of the place is Quality Auto Service (4889 E Craig). They cleaned the EGR valve for $50.
The check engine light turned off.
Thank you very much.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,574 times
I just got a smog test and i have 2 results, i just wanted to know if this 2 things will cost me tons of money or its just minor? one of the code is P02420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold and P0440 Evaporative Emission System. I would really appreciate it if someone can answer my question. ^_^

Old 02-04-2011, 05:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,574 times
Does people who works for smog tests are supposed to tell you what the codes or results meant?

Old 02-04-2011, 05:41 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,311,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis123 View Post
Does people who works for smog tests are supposed to tell you what the codes or results meant?
Nope, they just tell you if you passed or not.

Your catalyst below threshold code could be a worn out catalytic converter or a defective O2 sensor. I had a similar code on an older Accord and was able to replace the sensor on the cat (bank 2) (there is typically also one up on the manifold) and the code didn't come back. If you do need a catalytic converter you should shop around. Some online retailers offer direct bolt in replacement converters, although these aren't an option on all cars. I have replaced a converter for as cheap as $100 when the dealer was asking for $1400. Even if you need to buy one that welds in, most muffler shops will do this for $40-$60. Some newer vehicles have a 5 or even 10 year warranty on emissions parts that may cover the replacement of a defective catalytic converter.

Here is a page detailing some causes and remedies for your other code, could be as simple as buying a new gas cap.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:59 PM

787 posts, read 1,776,121 times
Quote:
Autozone will usually run your codes for free. Write them down, then google them. Should give you plenty of info.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:01 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,311,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robustus View Post
Autozone will usually run your codes for free. Write them down, then google them. Should give you plenty of info.
True, but he already had the codes.
Quote:
one of the code is P02420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold and P0440 Evaporative Emission System.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:18 PM

787 posts, read 1,776,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
True, but he already had the codes.
Then the second part of my comment (ie; google the codes) was more relevant for him. I guess I was just being extra helpful/thorough pointing out that Autozone runs codes for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas