Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 12:58 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,940,858 times

Advertisements

Ok, apparently we need to plant some "greenery" in our front yard to keep up with HOA rules. (I like my desert landscaping and the lack of maintenance that goes with it, but.....) I think I need to plant 4 plants. Any ideas on hardy, desert plants that don't look tacky? And, is it difficult to do it yourself? Apparently, the previous owners didn't get caught with no greenery!

After reading other posts about hiring out the guys that hang at the nurseries, I am leery of that.

The other option is to just put in artificial turf. I think that may be much more expensive, though.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 01:53 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,565,878 times
Cactus is green. And doesn't need that much water. That is a really annoying HOA rule. I can see trying to keep the neighborhood up but trying to eradicate individuality is just lame. It isn't enough that most of the houses are carbon copies of each other.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:25 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,273,923 times
I have several green plants in my yard. They are a good size. And every spring and summer beautiful purple flowers bloom from them. The rest of the year, they are quite green. There is also other greenery out there, it's low to the ground and seems to spread out as it grows. Don't know what it is either, but it gives you that green look. The HOA takes care of the outside where I am, we just have to take care of our back yards.
That artificial turf can get expensive. Not only is it a good chunk of cash to get it installed, but they have to come and care for it once a month. That is where the money goes.
Too bad you can't just plant some grass in say a round area, with a pretty border. Then put flowering plants all around it, and still stay with some of that desert landscaping.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:41 PM

I probably could do some grass, but keeping it green...we do have a little patch of it on one side and it is good for now.

I kind of like the plants with the orange flowers. I'm going to the nursery to check them out, but I don't know about the hub digging and planting them.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:34 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,273,923 times
I love those with the orange flowers. Bloom every summer. Where we live, we cannot plant directly into the ground, they must be in planters. Stupid yes. I so want a nice shade tree for my backyard, but the powers that be say no.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:53 PM

That does stink. I have two trees in the front. Love the shade, but I guess it is still not green enough!

Here, you cannot plant in planters, they have to be taken out and put in the ground. I just don't know if it will be too hard to do that. Patience is not one of my husband's virtues....

Old 07-10-2010, 05:10 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,553 times
bird of paradise, cape honeysuckle, sage, red yucca, lantana

Old 07-10-2010, 05:23 PM

157 posts, read 420,070 times
also verbena, bush morning glory, trailing rosemary...the list is extensive.

Nurseries around town could help you out. Just let them know the HOA rules and they can point you in the right direction.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:31 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,151,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I have several green plants in my yard. They are a good size. And every spring and summer beautiful purple flowers bloom from them. The rest of the year, they are quite green. There is also other greenery out there, it's low to the ground and seems to spread out as it grows. Don't know what it is either, but it gives you that green look. The HOA takes care of the outside where I am, we just have to take care of our back yards.
That artificial turf can get expensive. Not only is it a good chunk of cash to get it installed, but they have to come and care for it once a month. That is where the money goes.
Too bad you can't just plant some grass in say a round area, with a pretty border. Then put flowering plants all around it, and still stay with some of that desert landscaping.
And it starts to smell funny after a while. Especially if you have pets.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:34 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,151,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Ok, apparently we need to plant some "greenery" in our front yard to keep up with HOA rules. (I like my desert landscaping and the lack of maintenance that goes with it, but.....) I think I need to plant 4 plants. Any ideas on hardy, desert plants that don't look tacky? And, is it difficult to do it yourself? Apparently, the previous owners didn't get caught with no greenery!

After reading other posts about hiring out the guys that hang at the nurseries, I am leery of that.

The other option is to just put in artificial turf. I think that may be much more expensive, though.

Any thoughts?
I hire those guys all the time for all kinds of jobs. No complaints yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas