U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-10-2010, 07:17 PM

5,803 posts, read 5,173,960 times
Default FOX 5 NEWS or CHANNEL 8 NEWS

Just wanted to know what was the ideal choice for locals as far as news source. I only know of these two. Is there another major local news channel?

I tend to mostly watch Fox 5 only because thats what my wife introduced me to. Plus she likes "The Rant". I only found out about channel 8 after coming out here(Iraq).

My main reason for asking is because since I am currently deployed from Vegas I have been on both fox5news.com and channel8news.com. Been trying to keep up with whats going on back home. Especially since I have soooo much to do when I get back in about a month or so...... Rent out my house, buy a new place, find a new school for my daughter, move some in-laws in town, show some friends around the strip, check on property taxes, new laws, etc... Both sites relatively have the same information on them. Sometimes one will claim exclusivity stories over the other but thats only for an hour or so.

Also what about LVRJ versus The Sun? Or is there even a difference?

I prefer lasvegascitylife(more entertaining) to any of them but their web site is VERY slow out here. Takes forever to load.

^^^^^
Dont know whay that changed color like that.

^^^or this...

long day.(night)

Last edited by von949; 07-10-2010 at 08:20 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 07:36 PM

8,792 posts, read 14,929,115 times
I mainly watch either Channel 13 news or Channel 8. If nothing is on at 10pm, I will tune into the first 10 mins of Fox5. Don't forget channel 3. I used to watch it back when John Fredericks was the weather guy, but ever since they let him go, I quit watching. He was funny.
I am not loyal to just one channel, when one goes to commercial, I skip over to another and keep rotating back and forth. But 13 and 8 are most watched.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:43 PM

848 posts, read 960,217 times
Loyal to Channel 8 for local news only.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:45 PM

366 posts, read 613,108 times
I like Channel 8 also and their website is by far better than any other local news' website.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:10 PM

10,481 posts, read 14,361,310 times
I prefer channel 13, but I will watch Fox 5. Channel 8 is the worst as the newscaster have absolutely NO personality. I got bored quickly trying to watch channel 8 news.

KTNV ABC,Channel 13,Las Vegas,Nevada,News,Weather,Sports,Entertainment,KTN V.com,Action News .:. - Homepage

Old 07-10-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I prefer channel 13, but I will watch Fox 5. Channel 8 is the worst as the newscaster have absolutely NO personality. I got bored quickly trying to watch channel 8 news.

KTNV ABC,Channel 13,Las Vegas,Nevada,News,Weather,Sports,Entertainment,KTN V.com,Action News .:. - Homepage
I sometimes watch the online video feeds on the internet of Channel 8, EXTREMELY boring and no personality. I guess Im used to Monica and Jason of Fox 5. Sometimes they tend to throw in their opinions and clown around sometimes. Plus I like that "More" show that comes on after the regular news in the morning with them.

I never knew of Channel 13 Feels like Im missing out.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:21 PM

10,481 posts, read 14,361,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I sometimes watch the online video feeds on the internet of Channel 13, EXTREMELY boring and no personality. I guess Im used to Monica and Jason of Fox 5. Sometimes they tend to throw in their opinions and clown around sometimes. Plus I like that "More" show that comes on after the regular news in the morning with them.

I never knew of Channel 13 Feels like Im missing out.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Sorry, meant channel 8 up top.

Its 5:30 in the morning out here...

Old 07-10-2010, 08:46 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,418,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Just wanted to know what was the ideal choice for locals as far as news source. I only know of these two. Is there another major local news channel?

Channel 3 is the NBC affiliate, Channel 13 is the ABC affiliate.

I tend to mostly watch Fox 5 only because thats what my wife introduced me to. Plus she likes "The Rant". I only found out about channel 8 after coming out here(Iraq).

First of all, thank you for your service Now this is just my opinion but channel 5 is the worst news broadcast I have ever seen. It is amateur hour for news starting with their terrible slogan "Local, Las Vegas" all the way to newscasters who can't seem to work a comb or dress appropiately. I lean towards channel 8 as I like Paula Francis (if you watch CSI they use her), but coming from DC where some of the best broadcasters are located, a lot of Vegas news broadcasts are cheesy and poorly produced.

My main reason for asking is because since I am currently deployed from Vegas I have been on both fox5news.com and channel8news.com. Been trying to keep up with whats going on back home. Especially since I have soooo much to do when I get back in about a month or so...... Rent out my house, buy a new place, find a new school for my daughter, move some in-laws in town, show some friends around the strip, check on property taxes, new laws, etc... Both sites relatively have the same information on them. Sometimes one will claim exclusivity stories over the other but thats only for an hour or so.

Also what about LVRJ versus The Sun? Or is there even a difference?

Depends on your political views mainly, the R-J leans right and the Sun is left. However, the Sun comes out with very good articles about non-political issues.

I prefer lasvegascitylife(more entertaining) to any of them but their web site is VERY slow out here. Takes forever to load.

^^^^^
Dont know whay that changed color like that.

^^^or this...

long day.(night)
The key thing is staying safe until you get back home.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
The key thing is staying safe until you get back home.
Thanks. They just recently stuck me in an air conditioned office for the rest of my tour so Im pretty safe.

But I do notice that my wife constantly complains about the outfits that the female broadcasters wear on Fox 5. Sometimes up to 2-3 times a week. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas