Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:32 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times

Advertisements

Put a note with a phone number on the car and this wouldn't have happened.. Now would it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 08:46 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,244,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamberin Alt View Post
I had the misfortune of having a stress crack form on my car's front tire rims while out running errands. The tire and rim was literally detaching from the lug nuts. So I found a safe little residential side street and parked my car making sure I wasn't directly in front of any one's house. I tried to change the tire, unfortunately the spare tire was flat. So I walked home in 108 degrees temperature.

Four hours later when I returned with help to fix my car, I find my car was towed because the police deemed my car, with groceries and a 12 pack of toilet paper in the front seat, "suspicious." Although the officers noted in the incident report when they towed my vehicle that there was damage to the front drivers-side tire. LVMPD still felt it necessary to tow the vehicle.

As an unemployed single mom, I have to come up with money to buy a new rim and possible auto repairs. Now I have to come up cash for towing and storage. There was no investigation to determine the car was really suspicious. Just someone in the neighborhood didn't feel I had a right to park my distressed car in their neighborhood.

How do I get my car out of Ewing Brothers when it is un-drivable.

I live within a half mile of my car bread down. I pay taxes for the very same neighborhood, why can't I park my car for 4-6 hours until I can get my vehicle safe to drive.

We have 11 year old kids riding motorcycles in my neighborhood and crashing into my sons car, but nothing gets done about those issues. Parents nor the underage driver got penalized. But parking in a residential neighborhood with can get you towed.

Good Job LVMPD at jumping to conclusions!

Old 07-22-2010, 09:42 PM

245 posts, read 585,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygirl4 View Post
"I just left Las Vegas last month after a visit and crime out there is the worst it's ever been." So why wouldn't Metro follow up with towing a vehicle on grounds of suspicion? Honestly, I think there is more behind this story than just a Metro bashing. Maybe a neighbor, or the home owner who saw the car parked in front of their house, called Metro and requested the vehicle be towed...I don't know, because crime apparently is so bad as you state?

Why are there so many officer involved shootings lately? Probably because crime is so bad and Metro is acting on the defense. Bottom line, if you don't want to get shot, in trouble with the law, don't act suspiciously or do things to draw attention to yourself. Common sense.

Are you an officer?
Or a dispatcher?
Or do you work for the union?

Most people I know and have spoken w/ in Las Vegas DESPISE Metro.
They see them as lazy,possibly corrupt, incompetent,rude and frankly,violent.

When I was out there in May/June I saw the following:

1) Six metro cars parked for an extended period of time (over an hour) at a 7-11 on Maryland Parkway. Was there no crime that day?

2) A cop sleeping (I mean RESTING) in his vehicle off on Alta just before Rancho.

3) A woman (a small one at that) that was out of her car and talking w/ no less than three Metros at an intersection. America's Most Wanted,I'm sure.

And this was all in the space of about three hours.
Who knows what you'd see if you really were looking?
Next time I'll get photos and/or videos.

Metro is a terrible police department.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:11 PM

422 posts, read 1,084,866 times
It's so easy to criticize, but I wonder how many people would like to be in Metro's shoes? Not me! There is an abundance of crime here, and I respect Metro for the danger they put themselves in daily. When they shoot, they believe their's or someone else's life is in danger. The Costco shooting, for example, people want to say Metro over reacted. If someone's reaching for a gun, and I don't know this to be a fact, usually there's intent and you don't have the luxury to ponder if they may or may not pull the trigger. It's easy being Monday morning quarterback.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:06 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,470 times
I support Metro. I think there were several factors that led to the Costco shooting. The biggest contributing factor may have been the over reaction of Costco evacuating the store, and who knows what was said during the 911 call. Then outside I bet the officer who had the previous shooting in 2006 shot first the the two rookies followed his actions. Are there some bad cops yes, just like any other profession.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:20 PM

848 posts, read 1,724,409 times
I deal with Metro pretty much on a weekly basis at work and I have no problems with them. Clark County is building a Police-Sub Station on a vacant Clark County owned land across from my home at the Lakes area and I'm glad Clark County officials chose that site. The vacant land has been idle for many years and it's good to have a Police Sub-Station as a neighbour. Not bad to have a 24 hour security nearby.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:26 PM

430 posts, read 1,312,438 times
I would get my car out of hock ASAP and fight Metro for some reimbursement of costs. Did the car have valid plates? There is no reason to tow a car from a regular residential street that has sat for less than 12 hours.

Clearly someone called who knew what to say because I have seen cars parked that really looked abandoned (flat tires, no license plate, covered in dust, etc...) not get towed. I saw a car pulled off the 215 at 8 AM in the morning, at 5 PM it was still there, but had one of those ugly orange stickers on the front windshield.

I live in an HOA that doesn't allow parking on the streets. You just can't have your car parked overnight. People park on the street during the day all the time. Left our car overnight on the street when we first moved here and got a warning sticker telling us, best not catch it on the street again or we will tow.

In many places I have lived, on a public street with no parking they usually will put a nasty sticker on your window (only comes off with a gallon of Goof Off), then if they come around later and still find it there, they will either tow or boot it.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:30 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banevader View Post
Are you an officer?
Or a dispatcher?
Or do you work for the union?

Didn't care to refute my post? And I am a LEO, but with a state agency.

Most people I know and have spoken w/ in Las Vegas DESPISE Metro.
They see them as lazy,possibly corrupt, incompetent,rude and frankly,violent.

How many people do you know out here? Again, anything to back up your claims or simply second and third (and fourth and fifth) hand accounts of media reports? Point out any Metro violence, rudeness, corruption, laziness or incompetence that you have personally experienced that can be proven to have happened exactly as perceived.

When I was out there in May/June I saw the following:

1) Six metro cars parked for an extended period of time (over an hour) at a 7-11 on Maryland Parkway. Was there no crime that day?

Perhaps they were there because of a crime. Perhaps they were simply taking their lunch. Cops have to eat to. How do you know that they were there for over an hour? Did you sit there for over an hour watching them?

2) A cop sleeping (I mean RESTING) in his vehicle off on Alta just before Rancho.

I cannot and will not defend this. Sleeping on the job is unacceptable in any line of work, but especially so in LE. That said, one bad apple does NOT spoil the whole bunch and in any profession you will find bad apples.

3) A woman (a small one at that) that was out of her car and talking w/ no less than three Metros at an intersection. America's Most Wanted,I'm sure.

Was she being detained? Was she a suspect in a crime? Is it possible she was a victim of a crime and being interviewed by the officers? Do you realize that how you perceive things is not always how they are? Did you ask the officers or the woman what was going on? If you have no idea why they were talking to her or what they were talking to her about then it would seem that, per most LEO haters, you are simply jumping to conclusions (much like the OP) based on your preconceived notions and bias.

And this was all in the space of about three hours.
Who knows what you'd see if you really were looking?
Next time I'll get photos and/or videos.

I'm sure your 3 hours of experience with the department makes you an expert. I've got an idea. Why don't you apply for the department, go through the academy, and do the job if you have the fortitude. Then you can get on with another department for a comparison. Then you will be qualified to speak on this subject. Until then all you have is conjecture and speculation.

Metro is a terrible police department.

In comparison to what? Are there any good departments in your opinion (which by the way does not equal fact and at this point doesn't even warrant being taken too seriously)?
Response in red.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:50 PM

425 posts, read 1,955,467 times
Maybe you should have left a note telling everyone you're a single, unemployed mother. Or better yet, as others have noted, left a note on your car to state that you were having trouble with it and would be back soon to take care of it.

Another thing, depending on your insurance company and your coverage, you may have been able to get your car towed for free up to a certain number of miles. That's what I did when my car's fuel injector busted when I was out and about.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:56 PM

450 posts, read 1,514,377 times
No Banevader, I'm an actual law abiding citizen of Las Vegas and work from my home as a Corporate Travel Agent, but I love how you seem to know so much about a city that you don't even reside in. Lack of respect for the men and women that protect us in this country is faltering each and every day, prime example given by your post. I agree with Daddy, maybe the cops that were sitting in front of a 7/11 needed something to drink. When you reside in a city where temperatures hit over 100 degrees during the summer, it's necessary to remain hydrated. Last time I checked, the police cars did not come equipped with water filtration system dispensers...but since you're so knowledgable about things in life, maybe you should patent that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: