U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-22-2010, 02:45 AM
 
1 posts, read 2,253 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

I had the misfortune of having a stress crack form on my car's front tire rims while out running errands. The tire and rim was literally detaching from the lug nuts. So I found a safe little residential side street and parked my car making sure I wasn't directly in front of any one's house. I tried to change the tire, unfortunately the spare tire was flat. So I walked home in 108 degrees temperature.

Four hours later when I returned with help to fix my car, I find my car was towed because the police deemed my car, with groceries and a 12 pack of toilet paper in the front seat, "suspicious." Although the officers noted in the incident report when they towed my vehicle that there was damage to the front drivers-side tire. LVMPD still felt it necessary to tow the vehicle.

As an unemployed single mom, I have to come up with money to buy a new rim and possible auto repairs. Now I have to come up cash for towing and storage. There was no investigation to determine the car was really suspicious. Just someone in the neighborhood didn't feel I had a right to park my distressed car in their neighborhood.

How do I get my car out of Ewing Brothers when it is un-drivable.

I live within a half mile of my car bread down. I pay taxes for the very same neighborhood, why can't I park my car for 4-6 hours until I can get my vehicle safe to drive.

We have 11 year old kids riding motorcycles in my neighborhood and crashing into my sons car, but nothing gets done about those issues. Parents nor the underage driver got penalized. But parking in a residential neighborhood with can get you towed.

Good Job LVMPD at jumping to conclusions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2010, 05:09 AM
 
2,484 posts, read 3,510,017 times
Reputation: 2154
You will likely have to pay to get it towed out of there and to a shop to get fixed. I'm sorry that happened to you. I remember parking my car in the corner of an empty massive parking lot back east as a snow storm hit as I didn't have a garage and the streets were off limits for the plows. The owner had my car towed in under an hour. On a side note, AAA is really worth it. About $60 a YEAR and they will help you out with virtually any car trouble. If they can't they will tow you to a place that can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
450 posts, read 1,308,127 times
Reputation: 321
Why is everyone blaming Metro for common sense errors on their part? Granted, Metro makes some bad decisions at times, as we all do, but are you seriously blaming them? Nowadays, all those individuals working and putting their own lives on the line deserve a little more appreciation. You can blame all the car bombers in Iraq and Afghanistan for the "suspicion" of the groceries in your car on a 108 degree day that was left abandoned on a side street for X hours. Metro doesn't know how long the car has been there. Did you leave a note advising what happened, or put a piece of cloth hanging outside the window advising the car was abandoned? Takes 2 seconds and it's free, now it's costing you an arm and a leg. Sorry that you are going through hard times, but people need to stop and think before jumping to conclusions and judging how Metro is doing their job. Put yourself in their shoes for once. They drive through the tough neighborhoods each and every day seeing things you and I will never see in our lifetime. I'm so sick of people blaming Metro for their own stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Fort Wayne/Las Vegas/Summit-Argo
245 posts, read 460,400 times
Reputation: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygirl4 View Post
Why is everyone blaming Metro for common sense errors on their part? Granted, Metro makes some bad decisions at times, as we all do, but are you seriously blaming them? Nowadays, all those individuals working and putting their own lives on the line deserve a little more appreciation. You can blame all the car bombers in Iraq and Afghanistan for the "suspicion" of the groceries in your car on a 108 degree day that was left abandoned on a side street for X hours. Metro doesn't know how long the car has been there. Did you leave a note advising what happened, or put a piece of cloth hanging outside the window advising the car was abandoned? Takes 2 seconds and it's free, now it's costing you an arm and a leg. Sorry that you are going through hard times, but people need to stop and think before jumping to conclusions and judging how Metro is doing their job. Put yourself in their shoes for once. They drive through the tough neighborhoods each and every day seeing things you and I will never see in our lifetime. I'm so sick of people blaming Metro for their own stupidity.
What???
Metro SUCKS!!

While I think that the OP should have used a dash of common sense in where she left the car (I agree about posting a note on the windshield or knocking on the door of a house nearby and letting them know the situation) it's ridiculous that Metro towed her car after only 4 hours.

I just left Las Vegas last month after a visit and crime out there is worst it's ever been. If Metro put in as much effort into cleaning up Downtown and East Vegas as they do into towing cars and writing parking tickets,Las Vegas might be a more pleasant place to live.

Metro is a violent,poorly trained and,frankly incompetent police force and the people of Las Vegas are ill-served by them.
Having said that,OP,I doubt that you left your car for only "4 hours."
Who'd leave their groceries in the car for that long?

If you are a single,unemployed mom in a city that you NEED a car in to survive,perhaps you should consider moving as soon as possible.
About the car:Unless you are able to get it out in less than two weeks,I would simply go over to the towing yard,remove all of your personal items and abandon the vehicle.

It would cost too much to repair and the storage and impound fees wouldn't make it worthwhile to retrieve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Upstate NY!
13,819 posts, read 23,462,537 times
Reputation: 7615
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
You will likely have to pay to get it towed out of there and to a shop to get fixed. I'm sorry that happened to you. I remember parking my car in the corner of an empty massive parking lot back east as a snow storm hit as I didn't have a garage and the streets were off limits for the plows. The owner had my car towed in under an hour. On a side note, AAA is really worth it. About $60 a YEAR and they will help you out with virtually any car trouble. If they can't they will tow you to a place that can.
Agree...AA helps a lot of alcoholics. AAA helps more drivers. That $60 that seemed like a waste of money will have been paid 5 times (or more) over, by the time you're done with this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
450 posts, read 1,308,127 times
Reputation: 321
"I just left Las Vegas last month after a visit and crime out there is the worst it's ever been." So why wouldn't Metro follow up with towing a vehicle on grounds of suspicion? Honestly, I think there is more behind this story than just a Metro bashing. Maybe a neighbor, or the home owner who saw the car parked in front of their house, called Metro and requested the vehicle be towed...I don't know, because crime apparently is so bad as you state?

Why are there so many officer involved shootings lately? Probably because crime is so bad and Metro is acting on the defense. Bottom line, if you don't want to get shot, in trouble with the law, don't act suspiciously or do things to draw attention to yourself. Common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 10:24 AM
 
Location: central, between Pepe's Tacos and Roberto's
2,086 posts, read 5,897,552 times
Reputation: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamberin Alt View Post
Good Job LVMPD at jumping to conclusions!
Right, because it's not a possibility that someone actually reported the car as suspicous. You do a pretty good job at jumping to conclusions as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banevader View Post
What???
Metro SUCKS!!

While I think that the OP should have used a dash of common sense in where she left the car (I agree about posting a note on the windshield or knocking on the door of a house nearby and letting them know the situation) it's ridiculous that Metro towed her car after only 4 hours.

I just left Las Vegas last month after a visit and crime out there is worst it's ever been. If Metro put in as much effort into cleaning up Downtown and East Vegas as they do into towing cars and writing parking tickets,Las Vegas might be a more pleasant place to live.

Metro is a violent,poorly trained and,frankly incompetent police force and the people of Las Vegas are ill-served by them.
Having said that,OP,I doubt that you left your car for only "4 hours."
Who'd leave their groceries in the car for that long?
Complete and utter BS. As I said above, it's is entirely possible and highly likely in my opinion that the car was reported by a resident of said neighborhood. I'm sure Metro had no idea how long the car was there.

Second, I'm glad that your visit makes you an expert on Vegas crime. The fact remains that crime has been steadily going down though. Stats have been cited numerous times on this forum to back this point up. I don't know what you are basing your argument on, but it's not facts, stats, or evidence.

Third, every encounter I have had with Metro (with one exception where I was completely in the wrong) has been nothing but pleasant. If you have experienced violence at the hands of Metro (which I suspect you have not and rather than forming your opinion based on firsthand knowledge through interaction are forming it based on media reports particularly recent ones) I would bet dollars to doughnuts that it was a direct result of your actions. As for being poorly trained, again I would like you to back this opinion up with some sort of evidence. How about a side by side comparison with a more "competent" department's academy curriculum? One problem with that, POST standards are universal from state to state with the exception of state statutes. Metro is actually a pretty difficult department to get hired on with.

I've got an idea. Instead of sitting around on our computer and complaining online (how does an unemployed single mother not cover the basics like transportation but can afford a computer and internet access?) about how all of our misfortunes are someone else's fault, perhaps we could actively do something to change our situation so that we don't run in to these types of problems in the future? It's called being proactive, among other things. It's also called being a responsible adult and a contributing member of society. I would hope that someone with a child to raise would be trying to teach them this very important life lesson and would do so by leading by example.

Pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Kingman AZ
15,371 posts, read 32,260,135 times
Reputation: 8934
I've lived here 48 years and I have NEVER been shot at by metro.....I have had some traffic encounter with them and in every case but one was completely in the wrong....

One officer even remarked that "I took this better then ANYone he'd ever seen." I said "That's cause ya got me once....but ya missed me the other 200 times...."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
3,728 posts, read 7,888,158 times
Reputation: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by banevader View Post
What???
Metro SUCKS!!

While I think that the OP should have used a dash of common sense in where she left the car (I agree about posting a note on the windshield or knocking on the door of a house nearby and letting them know the situation) it's ridiculous that Metro towed her car after only 4 hours.

I just left Las Vegas last month after a visit and crime out there is worst it's ever been. If Metro put in as much effort into cleaning up Downtown and East Vegas as they do into towing cars and writing parking tickets,Las Vegas might be a more pleasant place to live.

Metro is a violent,poorly trained and,frankly incompetent police force and the people of Las Vegas are ill-served by them.
Having said that,OP,I doubt that you left your car for only "4 hours."
Who'd leave their groceries in the car for that long?

If you are a single,unemployed mom in a city that you NEED a car in to survive,perhaps you should consider moving as soon as possible.
About the car:Unless you are able to get it out in less than two weeks,I would simply go over to the towing yard,remove all of your personal items and abandon the vehicle.

It would cost too much to repair and the storage and impound fees wouldn't make it worthwhile to retrieve.
Stop whining about Las Vegas and Metro, if you don't live here, fahgett about it

Anyways, if someone parked a car in my neighborhood and left it there, I'd call the police and have them check it out, even it wasn't in front of someone's house. I would consider it ABANDONED.

And how do I know that something wasn't in the trunk, toilet paper and groceries on the front seat and all.

While I am sorry this happened to the OP, common sense should have prevailed. A note on the car, a call to a garage...etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
3,728 posts, read 7,888,158 times
Reputation: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
Right, because it's not a possibility that someone actually reported the car as suspicous. You do a pretty good job at jumping to conclusions as well.



Complete and utter BS. As I said above, it's is entirely possible and highly likely in my opinion that the car was reported by a resident of said neighborhood. I'm sure Metro had no idea how long the car was there.

Second, I'm glad that your visit makes you an expert on Vegas crime. The fact remains that crime has been steadily going down though. Stats have been cited numerous times on this forum to back this point up. I don't know what you are basing your argument on, but it's not facts, stats, or evidence.

Third, every encounter I have had with Metro (with one exception where I was completely in the wrong) has been nothing but pleasant. If you have experienced violence at the hands of Metro (which I suspect you have not and rather than forming your opinion based on firsthand knowledge through interaction are forming it based on media reports particularly recent ones) I would bet dollars to doughnuts that it was a direct result of your actions. As for being poorly trained, again I would like you to back this opinion up with some sort of evidence. How about a side by side comparison with a more "competent" department's academy curriculum? One problem with that, POST standards are universal from state to state with the exception of state statutes. Metro is actually a pretty difficult department to get hired on with.

I've got an idea. Instead of sitting around on our computer and complaining online (how does an unemployed single mother not cover the basics like transportation but can afford a computer and internet access?) about how all of our misfortunes are someone else's fault, perhaps we could actively do something to change our situation so that we don't run in to these types of problems in the future? It's called being proactive, among other things. It's also called being a responsible adult and a contributing member of society. I would hope that someone with a child to raise would be trying to teach them this very important life lesson and would do so by leading by example.

Pathetic.
Perhaps banevader tried living in Las Vegas and didn't make it..hence the negative remarks. Oh well, hope they can move on but soon they'll start warning people about Las Vegas is out of water...remember? ...good post Daddy!

Last edited by MomMom; 07-22-2010 at 11:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top