Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 07:00 PM

681 posts, read 2,799,675 times

Advertisements

So has anyone actually gone on any of these tours that take you from Las Vegas to the "Warning-Restricted Area" signs to Area 51/Groom Lake/Government facility that doesn't actually exist?

There are a few tour companies online that are offering this and wondering how much of a risk one is taking going on these tours and if it's worth the 8 hour tour to only to get to the "sign" (ie. are there any interesting things along the way?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 07:12 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
I dont think the tour takes you right up to the "Warning-restricted area". Probably not even up to naked eye view. Most of the Air Force/contractors that I have come across that works security in the area say its nothing worth seeing really...unless you were inside the ficility and know exactly what you were looking for/at.

This was about 7 years ago that I spoke to someone about this. Maybe its different now.

Plus I heard that the place has unofficially closed and moved to a more remote location in Utah somewhere. Which means those A-51 tours are a scam. Let us know if you go.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:08 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,196 times
I will take you there then give you directions on how to get in. You will have to sign a waiver saying that you don't hold me responsible when you are shot 12 times in the chest from a 1/4 mile away.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:39 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
To me driving to Rachel in this heat to see a sign that says, "Stay Out" is not very exciting. But if someone just has to say they were there, it would be best to rent a car and drive yourself. That way it won't take as long, and you can stop at the only thing there is between here and there ...namely: Pahranagat NWR, Fish and Wildlife Service

But even that isn't all that exciting.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:28 PM

860 posts, read 2,204,040 times
I visited the signs myself three years ago. I see no reason to waste money on some tour company unless you are clueless about driving and directions. And yes there is an actual highly secured facility down the road beyond the hills. Just go to Google Maps for an overall view. A google search will also tell you how to find the mailbox by the dirt road you need to take. Just make sure you don't go beyond the signs and you will be fine. Near the signs there will be a private security vehicle on a hill on the right watching you. Now I went because this type of stuff floats my boat.

Pics I took from my car:

Area 51 Frequently Asked Questions

Quote:
(ie. are there any interesting things along the way?)
Well I remember Rachel is not far off. Rachel is nothing much but there is a diner and some UFO kitsch on display.

But for me I love driving out to the middle of nowhere, and Nevada is great for this. And with my 'lil red Vette, you can image the fun I had

Last edited by Oberleutnant; 07-24-2010 at 10:39 PM..

Old 07-24-2010, 10:54 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,196 times
Uh oh, you took pictures of the no photography sign!

Old 07-25-2010, 08:40 AM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Nothing to see, move along... move along.

But seriously, don't pay anyone to take you there. It's worth going once, just to say you've done it, but it's barely worth the price of the gas to get there. I have a bunch of pics that are eerily similar to Oberleutnant's - I guess everyone that goes pretty much gets the same pics!

If you really want an Area 51 adventure, get to the top of Tikaboo Peak. That's the closest spot from which you can actually see the facility. Google it for more info - but there are no tours that go there... You'll need a 4WD and some good hiking shoes.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:59 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,662,283 times
Or you can see a sattelite view of the whole facility with Google Earth.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:33 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Forget Area 51, there's nothing to see. If you really want to see some interesting and exciting history, take the tour of the Nevada Atomic Test Site. That's really fascinating. And you come about as close to Area 51 from the south as you will from the north, and you still won't see it. I wish there were daily tours out to the Test Site. It's amazing to me that so many Americans don't even know that the Nevada Test Site exists, or what they did out there, even though they set off almost 1,000 nukes at the site which is just over that range of mountains that you see to our north. The entrance to the site is only 65 miles from Las Vegas. In the early days, people in Las Vegas sat on the front porch and watched the mushroom clouds from the bombs.

Nevada Test Site

U.S. NNSA/DOE - Nevada Site Office

Nevada Test Site - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-25-2010, 09:51 PM

64 posts, read 180,622 times
Cool info guys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas