U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 06:33 PM

12,686 posts, read 29,523,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntaylorny View Post
My main gripe isn't with people who park in the handi spots who do not have plates. My gripe is with people who are not in the least bit handicapped and get plates from the DMV because they are lazy. And don't tell me this type of abuse isn't rampant in LV.

You don't know how many times I've seen a 75 year old lady with a walker have to park far away because some 25 year old yuppie in a Benz SUV with two kids uses a handi spot and runs into the store like Flo Jo.

I remember last year at the Home Depot on Sahara this guy got a written warning from a parking police volunteer attendant because his placard was not visible completely. He drove around looking for the attendant (volunteer), parked his SUV in the middle of the parking lot travel lanes (blocking all traffic), got out, jumped over the small bushes in the center median and got right into the attendant's face. Not a ticket, a warning. He was in his mid-30 and had muscles like a body builder. These people think they have some type of god given right to abuse the system.
Once again, read my lips, you can't just go to the DMV and get handicap plates. You have to have a doctor fill out a form that you take to DMV telling them that you are in fact handicapped. Do you hate kitties and puppies too, troll?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 06:38 PM

1,695 posts, read 1,826,997 times
They can drive somebodys vehicle with one or borrow a placard right? Still, if they have one no point in guessing or driving yourself crazy about it.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:41 PM

769 posts, read 1,560,802 times
Well a handicap plate on a Corvette should be no surprise

Old 07-26-2010, 06:52 PM

5,425 posts, read 5,860,513 times
In California they occasionally do a sting at some of the malls. The LE agencies will observe people park in the handicap spaces and those with the placards will be run to confirm the person it was issued for is present. Parking in a handicap space without a placard is over $500. Parking in a handicap space using someone elses placard or phoney placard is considered fraud and the fine runs around $3000.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:20 PM

2,485 posts, read 3,512,050 times
I remember at the college I went to, Even in a snowstorm where spaces had snow all over them and it wasn't even visible what was what, they were ticketing anyone and everyone who parked in a handicap space.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:52 PM

5,425 posts, read 5,860,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I remember at the college I went to, Even in a snowstorm where spaces had snow all over them and it wasn't even visible what was what, they were ticketing anyone and everyone who parked in a handicap space.
That's why they must now have handicapped signs posted in front of the space off the ground, at least in California.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:45 PM

2,038 posts, read 3,492,334 times
I would never abuse a handicapped spot for any reason. I did, however, come out from Kohls the other day only to realize when I got back to the car that I had parked in the "superstar of the month," stall.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:37 AM

8,875 posts, read 11,856,033 times
My mother has a handicap hang-tag because she has severe (and obvious) mobility issues and walks with a cane or sometimes even a walker. But when I drive her, I drive her to the door, drop her off, and park the car. When it's time to go home, I have her wait curbside for me to pick her up. 99% of the time this method gets her closer to the entrance than she would be in a handicap space but it's not why I do it. I (and every other able-bodied member of my family) do it to free up spaces for people who might have driven themselves.

But most of the time I would have to do it anyway because the spaces are invariably all full. Stores, restaurants, big boxes, even doctors' offices ... VERY FEW locations (especially in cities with large elderly populations) have an adequate number of handicap spaces. (Supermarkets are one exception in my observation.)

For two years I drove my mother to get her hair done at a large salon. She HAD to be driven there -- even though it's only a mile from her house and she could have driven herself -- because the four handicap spaces were always full. Never once in the two years I sat waiting for my mother did I ever see an open space (or even anyone come out of the salon and move their car because they were finished -- which leads me to believe some of the usage was bogus). I discussed it several times with the salon owner but she would offer no explanation of who was parked in the spaces. I finally convinced my mother to change salons because of this. Not because I cared so much about driving her but because I thought the owner needed to get the message. (The upside is my mother got a better hairdresser.)

But my mother's friends are a big part of the problem. They ALL have handicap hang-tags. Yes, one has to have written permission from a doctor to get a tag, but very few physicians will refuse anyone over 65 who asks for handicap parking, no matter if they are still quite able-bodied. It's just like drugs; you ask, and if it's not a controlled substance, you usually get.

And you would be shocked at how many younger people suggest they would like to borrow my mother's hang-tag. They always say it like they're joking, but I bet a lot of them would use it is she let them.

I totally agree that SOME people who legitimately need these spaces don't appear to and I never confront anyone. But my four years of experience with this issue leads me to believe that a large percentage of the usage is questionable at best. Taking elderly drivers off the road who shouldn't be behind the wheel for other reasons would be a start to a solution. More police enforcement would also help.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:41 PM

762 posts, read 1,294,755 times
I am a full time care giver for a handicap man (my husband) he cannot move without much assistance. (wheelchair) etc. So if I go to the store to buy the food that we need and I need to get back to him asap why shouldn't I use his handicap tag? He can't even drive. What if he were blind? What do you all think about that? I am very physically fit and I do not have a problem with mobility.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:20 PM

13,819 posts, read 23,472,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skisickie View Post
I am a full time care giver for a handicap man (my husband) he cannot move without much assistance. (wheelchair) etc. So if I go to the store to buy the food that we need and I need to get back to him asap why shouldn't I use his handicap tag? He can't even drive. What if he were blind? What do you all think about that? I am very physically fit and I do not have a problem with mobility.
I would never do that. IMO, it's called a handicap tag and intended to facilitate to mobility of a handicapped person only. If the handicapped person is not in the car, it does not simply become a "good parking spot" tag. Picture the poor guy/gal who pulls in with a person in a wheelchair, only to find all spots taken...including the one you pulled into...and that has to park far away. It would have been much easier for you to walk from car-to-store from far away than them to push a wheelchair from the same spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas