U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2010, 05:40 PM
 
3 posts, read 19,896 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

Just moved out here and am looking to buy a used car. I know I need a Bill of Sale and title from the seller. Would I be allowed to drive the car to the DMV to get everything done at once? I.e. change over my license, register car, get plates etc. Insurance co said they can fax/email my insurance card on the spot so at least that's taken care of.

Or do I have to leave the car with the seller and return with the plates? Maybe I should ask the seller to drop me and the car off @ the DMV and I pay his/her cab back? What would you do?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2010, 05:50 PM
 
10,485 posts, read 21,481,706 times
Reputation: 6577
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelOften View Post
Just moved out here and am looking to buy a used car. I know I need a Bill of Sale and title from the seller. Would I be allowed to drive the car to the DMV to get everything done at once? I.e. change over my license, register car, get plates etc. Insurance co said they can fax/email my insurance card on the spot so at least that's taken care of.

Or do I have to leave the car with the seller and return with the plates? Maybe I should ask the seller to drop me and the car off @ the DMV and I pay his/her cab back? What would you do?

Thanks.
Unfortunately, it is a real pain in the ass here to buy a car from a private seller. First off, you do not need a bill of sale (as the buyer), only a signed off title. You need to buy the car, and then go to the DMV and get a temporary plate until you can drive it (even home). Then you have to smog test it (if it is not already done), then go back and get your plates. If it is already smogged, then all you have to do is register it after you buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 06:03 PM
 
1,582 posts, read 2,811,249 times
Reputation: 1529
LVD is correct and it is a pain.

I'd see if you can get the seller to just go with you to get it smogged and then drop it off at your house. As long as you have the title, smog cert, and signed off title, that's all you need to register it (assuming it was registered in NV already, otherwise you'll need a VIN inspection too).

If you have/get a smog cert already then you shouldn't need a temporary movement permit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Unfortunately, it is a real pain in the ass here to buy a car from a private seller. First off, you do not need a bill of sale (as the buyer), only a signed off title. You need to buy the car, and then go to the DMV and get a temporary plate until you can drive it (even home). Then you have to smog test it (if it is not already done), then go back and get your plates. If it is already smogged, then all you have to do is register it after you buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 07:32 PM
 
3 posts, read 19,896 times
Reputation: 16
Thanks for the advice I'll keep that smog cert in mind also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
10,772 posts, read 21,278,101 times
Reputation: 3318
without a bill of sale, if the price looks too low, they will go by kelly blue book.. brought a pt cruiser here that i paid a grand for.. never turned the title in ohio.. my name on back... dmv looked at it, asked if i had bill of sale, i said no.... since out of state, wanted to tax me on $7800. i sent title back to ohio, paid tax on the grand, sent title back to nevada.. then no issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 10:48 PM
 
1,582 posts, read 2,811,249 times
Reputation: 1529
There is no sales tax on private party vehicle sales in NV so no problem there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
without a bill of sale, if the price looks too low, they will go by kelly blue book.. brought a pt cruiser here that i paid a grand for.. never turned the title in ohio.. my name on back... dmv looked at it, asked if i had bill of sale, i said no.... since out of state, wanted to tax me on $7800. i sent title back to ohio, paid tax on the grand, sent title back to nevada.. then no issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2010, 03:23 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
53 posts, read 209,594 times
Reputation: 51
Say you buy a car for a relative in WA out here, because in Vegas cars are WAAAY cheaper. How would you go about doing that? How can you buy a car then get it to the owner's destination up in Seattle? My mother is keen on this because you literally pay 500-1000 more for the same car in the Seattle area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2010, 04:44 AM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
10,772 posts, read 21,278,101 times
Reputation: 3318
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVinWA View Post
Say you buy a car for a relative in WA out here, because in Vegas cars are WAAAY cheaper. How would you go about doing that? How can you buy a car then get it to the owner's destination up in Seattle? My mother is keen on this because you literally pay 500-1000 more for the same car in the Seattle area.
just ship it.. piece of cake.. i do it all the time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2010, 04:45 AM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
10,772 posts, read 21,278,101 times
Reputation: 3318
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
There is no sales tax on private party vehicle sales in NV so no problem there.
only if the vehicle has a previous nv title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2010, 10:28 AM
 
1,582 posts, read 2,811,249 times
Reputation: 1529
No, that is not the case. I have recently purchased vehicles from private parties in both CA and TX and was not charged sales tax on either. Had to get a VIN inspection on both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
only if the vehicle has a previous nv title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top