Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 09:27 AM

4 posts, read 17,894 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about moving to Vegas at the end of the year. I have lived in Colorado my whole life and I want something different. I just recently visited the wonderful city and LOVED it! I currently work at Home Depot and I am wondering if there are some Depots out there. i am also not sure where a safe place to live that surronds Vegas. I want to find a nice apartment in a nice part of town as I will be coming by myself. Any ideas would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 12:38 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
There's a Home Depot on every corner in Las Vegas, it seems...lol. Have you looked into any transfer opportunities they may have?

I don't know what HD pays, but I'm assuming that unless you're a manager, the wages aren't stellar (although even as a manager they're probably not that great). That being said, have you thought about what kind of $$ you'd have to spend on housing per month? Apartments in safe areas of town aren't cheap, and may be out of the budget of the typical retail worker living alone.

Bob

Old 06-24-2007, 01:22 PM

294 posts, read 1,334,217 times
A buddy of mine works at Lowe's and hes pulling 45k just as a sales associate, that wouldnt be bad for a 22 year old...

Old 06-24-2007, 02:26 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,684,273 times
Apartments really aren't that safe here anyway, we know someone that moved to a complex in Summerlin and already has had her car smashed into and her jewelry stolen and its a pretty high-priced complex....

Old 06-24-2007, 04:29 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billeethakid View Post
A buddy of mine works at Lowe's and hes pulling 45k just as a sales associate, that wouldnt be bad for a 22 year old...
There's something fishy about that- "sales associates" at HD and Lowes aren't making $22/hour. A few years ago, HD Expo asked me to manage their entire kitchen and bath installation program in central NJ, and that position only paid $19/hour, and it was much more responsibility/pressure than working the floor.

Bob

Old 06-24-2007, 04:35 PM

4 posts, read 17,894 times
thank you for the input. i know that I will probably need to get a secon job which is fine with me but finding a safe neighborhood is my number one priority. i want to live in a one bedroom for about $600 to $700. i have fou nd a few over the internet but of course a picture can always be deseaving

Old 06-24-2007, 06:55 PM

294 posts, read 1,334,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
There's something fishy about that- "sales associates" at HD and Lowes aren't making $22/hour. A few years ago, HD Expo asked me to manage their entire kitchen and bath installation program in central NJ, and that position only paid $19/hour, and it was much more responsibility/pressure than working the floor.

Bob
Different areas have different wages. In our area the cashiers start at $15.50/hr at the depot. They have signs up everywhere, I think because of their huge turnover.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:37 AM

818 posts, read 3,697,642 times
I like the area around the HD at Pecos/Patrick. It's kind of in between Las Vegas and Green Valley. One drawback is the air traffic from McCarran, but it's close to Sunset Park, which is a major plus.

You can't expect to live in an apartment complex which is free of crime/noise, but don't worry that your life will be in danger either. Apartment living is not really as bad as the posters on this board have made it out to be. $700/month won't get you too much though. I'd recommend looking online for a potential roommate. Splitting a 2BR that costs 1100-1200 will get you into a much nicer apt, or even a nice home.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:25 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
I like the area around the HD at Pecos/Patrick. It's kind of in between Las Vegas and Green Valley. One drawback is the air traffic from McCarran, but it's close to Sunset Park, which is a major plus.

You can't expect to live in an apartment complex which is free of crime/noise, but don't worry that your life will be in danger either. Apartment living is not really as bad as the posters on this board have made it out to be. $700/month won't get you too much though. I'd recommend looking online for a potential roommate. Splitting a 2BR that costs 1100-1200 will get you into a much nicer apt, or even a nice home.
Actually Chest I am not down on apartments...just on apartment management...and I don't know a good way to tell which are well run and which are awful. The local manager is probably the biggest single issue. A place is very nice for a while then they change the manager and it is the pits.

I prefer the condos, even the conversions, over the apartments for that reason. A condo renter is simply in better shape. Better a little smaller condo. You can get a reasonable condo below 800 and a reasonable house at about 1100. Maybe even a little less if no rugrats are involved.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:08 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,684,273 times
There's a condo complex at Pecos and Russell, maybe they have units open for rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: