U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 11:39 AM

518 posts, read 552,588 times

Advertisements

Hi MomMom, I am from LI and the property taxes are brutal here as you know. Along with state income tax and the nasty weather=leaving NY. I have stayed with family for a few weeks in Southern Highlands and Green Valley(I ate at Kingfish a few times and enjoyed it). I never been up to Summerlin, but I put it on the short list to live due to the schools in the area(Linda Givens, Sig Roche ect...)I look at the CC accountability reports and see Summerlin schools at the top. I know car registration = a hidden tax. As far as employment I will be paid full salary on the books with all my built up time for a period of 1 year while living out in LV. After the 1 year period it goes to half pay.T he wife needs to pass the NV bar and that could take a year. This has been a dream of mine for close to 20 years and have been following LV closely for some time now. It is a calming effect to hear real people living LV sharing their information instead of "friends" who have been to the strip and their stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 11:51 AM

3,728 posts, read 7,891,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyliveonce View Post
Hi MomMom, I am from LI and the property taxes are brutal here as you know. Along with state income tax and the nasty weather=leaving NY. I have stayed with family for a few weeks in Southern Highlands and Green Valley(I ate at Kingfish a few times and enjoyed it). I never been up to Summerlin, but I put it on the short list to live due to the schools in the area(Linda Givens, Sig Roche ect...)I look at the CC accountability reports and see Summerlin schools at the top. I know car registration = a hidden tax. As far as employment I will be paid full salary on the books with all my built up time for a period of 1 year while living out in LV. After the 1 year period it goes to half pay.T he wife needs to pass the NV bar and that could take a year. This has been a dream of mine for close to 20 years and have been following LV closely for some time now. It is a calming effect to hear real people living LV sharing their information instead of "friends" who have been to the strip and their stories.
Sounds like you have your ducks in a row. If you can overcome the negative rating school district thing, then I'd get the hell out of NY as soon as possible. I wouldn't be able to stand another winter there.

In moving here, you might wind up missing some of the typical NY things, pizza, the beach, food items, deli's, bakeries (that's what I hear from most NY'ers who have moved here) friends, family, but if those things are not an issue and you can adapt, I'd take a chance. How about the other members of your family? I WILL tell you honestly, if one of you is leaving dear family in NY to move to Las Vegas, that MIGHT become a problem. I've known a few folks who couldn't stand living away from their family because they moved clear across the country

So many already did.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:13 PM

WOW it is like you know my wife. Yes she is upset about leaving her parents. That is the big plus though getting away from the mother in law(LOL)

Old 08-02-2010, 12:15 PM

2,038 posts, read 3,492,334 times
Vegas public school quality closely follows demographics and parental involvement is a force multiplier. If your children are encouraged to go the AP route in high school, they will encounter the teachers that really give a darn and come out the other end well prepared for college. There are a lot more teachers here that care than what's led on. I'm married to an educator and know quite a few.

If quality control begins at home, it usually carries to the classroom.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:44 PM

22 posts, read 30,144 times
I thought I was talking to my husband when I read your post. He has been a police officer in the Chicago area for 30 years, a detective for half of that time. Boy is he ready to go! We currently have our home on the market and when a buyer comes knocking LV here we come. While LV has not been our dream for 20 years as it has yours, we have been set on our decision to move here for at last 2 years. We too, have the exact same response from friends and family. The polite ones don't say anything when you say "I'm moving to Vegas", the more outspoken ones will proceed to give you their experience (which we are finding is no experience at all outside of the strip), and immediate family calls or sends newspaper articles when they come across negative things about Las Vegas. I chalk it up to my husband's close knit Italian family who doesn't want him to leave and my family who is of the opinion that family is not important to me. I don't know about you but sometimes it messes with your head when you feel good about your decision and others challenge it. I hope that your plans go smoothly and that you get a quick sale on your house and find employment easily. All the same things we are waiting on. My husband will also have a pension but like you, will need to supplement it. He is 52 and is looking forward to working at something different and hopefully on a more part time basis. He has a few leads on things. Just keep talking to people and you'll be surprised how many contacts you can make. By the way, another poster told me to inquire about the Las Vegas 10-13 club which is comprised of retired NYC police officers primarily but will let any other police in as well. Las Vegas Ten-13 Club - About Us

Old 08-02-2010, 12:59 PM

Alliecat, good luck with your move, any kids ? I wish my wife was more into the move like you, but she does tell me her place is wherever I am. Before I had married my wife 8 years ago she knew of the plan for me to retire after 20 yrs and move out to LV. She agreed then and will still move , but she is doing it for me. Thanks for the website I have seen it before and plan to join up when I arrive. After 30 yrs your husband deserves to work at his own pace, beceuase after 19 yrs I have had enough and can't even imagine doing another 11 yrs. BTW my boss is retireing after 44 YEARS, God bless him. He will NEVER need to work again.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:02 PM

13,819 posts, read 23,472,238 times
Quote:
Hi MomMom, I am from LI and the property taxes are brutal here as you know.
No wonder you're retired at 41....Suffolk County Cops are the highest paid in the nation!

Old 08-02-2010, 01:09 PM

22 posts, read 30,144 times
Quote:
Alliecat, good luck with your move, any kids ? I wish my wife was more into the move like you, but she does tell me her place is wherever I am. Before I had married my wife 8 years ago she knew of the plan for me to retire after 20 yrs and move out to LV. She agreed then and will still move , but she is doing it for me. Thanks for the website I have seen it before and plan to join up when I arrive. After 30 yrs your husband deserves to work at his own pace, beceuase after 19 yrs I have had enough and can't even imagine doing another 11 yrs. BTW my boss is retireing after 44 YEARS, God bless him. He will NEVER need to work again.
No kids. I'm sure your wife will become more excited when some of the details get worked out. The unknowns can drive you crazy.It is a big decision, one that even I question every once in a while. I think once we have a house picked out and hubbie has a job and we know more what our finances will be I will feel great about it. I get nervous when a long period of time goes by between visits to LV. Every time I come back from a "scouting" trip I feel so excited and then I go home and listen to the negativity and my fears return. Also another wise poster to this forum said to me that once you move to LV you may have more visitors than you did back home. It seems that most people would love a weekend away in LV. Have your wife read this forum, it might make her feel better about things.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:10 PM

Not retired at 41, but a career change(LOL)I know I am too young not to work. I don't know about the highest, but yes they are up there. It is not only the property taxes that are high, but they use sales data in my area from 2008 to figure the value of my home. That alone makes you grieve the assessment. I beleive the property taxes in CC is about one percent of the assessed value(someone with better info please chime in with an answer).

Old 08-02-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
Vegas public school quality closely follows demographics and parental involvement is a force multiplier. If your children are encouraged to go the AP route in high school, they will encounter the teachers that really give a darn and come out the other end well prepared for college. There are a lot more teachers here that care than what's led on. I'm married to an educator and know quite a few.

If quality control begins at home, it usually carries to the classroom.
Agree 100 %.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas