Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 12:29 PM

681 posts, read 2,800,300 times

Advertisements

I'm from out of state and was looking to purchase a property in Las Vegas.

I've been liking the Desert Shores apartments, but have only seen pictures and read about their ammenities with whatever is online and from property listings from my agent.

I'm planning on visiting the property in the next few weeks, but I wanted to know from the insiders what they like or don't like/complaints about living at this property.

Any info will be helpful.

Last edited by mricu; 08-01-2010 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: Correct Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 01:26 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times
Is that the development with Ice Cream Island and Crème Brûlée Bay?

Old 08-01-2010, 04:32 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Depending on what you are looking for there are three condo developments available in Desert Shores. Fanciest is The Jockey Club which is attached town houses. Mar-a-lago is lower priced owner occupied condos. The Villas at Desert Shores is quite low end condos generally rentals - for the hard core landlord.

Isla is nearby in South Shores. Low end mostly rentals but livable and convenient.

That is about it for Desert Shores.

Ice Cream Island is in a different dimension

Old 08-01-2010, 04:48 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,593,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
I'm from out of state and was looking to purchase a property in Las Vegas.

I've been liking the Desert Shores apartments, but have only seen pictures and read about their ammenities with whatever is online and from property listings from my agent.

I'm planning on visiting the property in the next few weeks, but I wanted to know from the insiders what they like or don't like/complaints about living at this property.

Any info will be helpful.
I lived there for 2 years but that was some time ago. In general I liked my experience okay, you are close to a lot of shopping and the freeway. I generally felt safe and I liked the size of the apartments. If I were you I would try renting a condo instead in Maralago. I have been in the condos and they are nice. Plus you will have a higher quality living experience since you will be living with some homeowners. If you like to jog I loved going around the loop past the lakes inside Desert Shores. If you are going to live in an apartment Desert Shores/Maralago are great since you are surrounded by homes and you have a beautiful green landscaping.

I thought they were going to convert the Desert Shores apartments into condos???

Old 08-01-2010, 04:55 PM

681 posts, read 2,800,300 times
I'm actually not looking to rent a place ... I'm lookng to purchase a condo and then rent it out until I pay it off. Then I'll be upgrading it and using it as my own personal vacation property.

The reason why I want to know the pros and cons is to determine how easy it will be to rent out, as well as how good the area is for me to eventually use as a vacation rental.

How about ammenities? Are there pools, tennis courts and other things that would be included in the condo fees? I know that there are a few man made lakes, does the HOA fees allow owners/tenants to use these lakes for boating/swimming?

Old 08-01-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
I'm actually not looking to rent a place ... I'm lookng to purchase a condo and then rent it out until I pay it off. Then I'll be upgrading it and using it as my own personal vacation property.

The reason why I want to know the pros and cons is to determine how easy it will be to rent out, as well as how good the area is for me to eventually use as a vacation rental.

How about ammenities? Are there pools, tennis courts and other things that would be included in the condo fees? I know that there are a few man made lakes, does the HOA fees allow owners/tenants to use these lakes for boating/swimming?
Yes, you have access to everything in the Desert Shores. They have a large sand pool, set up to mimic the beach, nice picnic grassy area, and then have paddle boats at the lake there. I have seen people fish at the lakes, but they are not set up for swimming. I'm not sure what the HOA fees are as I did not have to pay them when I rented. If you are planning on buying I would definitely look into Maralago. Honestly though, you might want to consider a small house near the lake if you can afford it. Homes are going for what condo's were going for a few years ago.

I really liked living there; it's a nice little oasis. Personally I think it's a great area to invest in since you are close to shopping and freeway access and it's a pretty nice and safe area.

If they are selling converted apartments in Desert Shore Apartments (3151 Soaring Gulls) I would NOT buy there. I don't think there are tennis courts. You might want to also check out Summerlin as they have numerous amenities. They have high HOA fees though.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:55 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,836,437 times
You cannot rent a out condo in Mar-A- Lago. Owner occupied only for new owners.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
You cannot rent a out condo in Mar-A- Lago. Owner occupied only for new owners.
So old owners can? I knew a few people who rented in there and saw For Rent signs in windows, but that was a while ago so maybe HOA rules have changed.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:03 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
So old owners can? I knew a few people who rented in there and saw For Rent signs in windows, but that was a while ago so maybe HOA rules have changed.
It is basically impossible to change such rules for an existing owner. So only a new owner is constrained.

The only rational owner occupied place that you can rent would be the Jockey Club which is very nice but a higher price point.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
It is basically impossible to change such rules for an existing owner. So only a new owner is constrained.

The only rational owner occupied place that you can rent would be the Jockey Club which is very nice but a higher price point.
Ah I see. That's a great rule for home owners actually. I wish I could have that rule for the homes in my area. Is that an HOA rule that applies to all of Desert Shores, including homes? Or is it just for the condos?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas