Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 09:34 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe2ofus View Post
ps. a speeding ticket is issued to the person speeding in the vehicle that signs a citation.
I don't know how to explain this to you any more clearly than I did in my previous post. In municipalities that have fixed unmanned radar guns and cameras, a picture is taken of the license tag of the speeding vehicle and the ticket is sent to the owner of the car.

Not the driver.

No one knows nor cares who was driving.

No police are around to chase down the driver and have him or her sign a citation.

The speeding ticket is sent to the owner.

Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 09:46 AM

699 posts, read 2,219,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I don't know how to explain this to you any more clearly than I did in my previous post. In municipalities that have fixed unmanned radar guns and cameras, a picture is taken of the license tag of the speeding vehicle and the ticket is sent to the owner of the car.

Not the driver.

No police are around to chase down the driver and have him or her sign a citation.

Period.
i personally know someone, the daughter of an HOA resident who was driving her car within the boundaries of the property who was contacted and stopped for speeding and cited. there was contact made by an HOA representative for the infraction at the time of the incident and a fine was administered.

the OP has NOT indicated that he was stopped by anyone, that any photo was given, taken or indicated at any time.

a red light infraction in the "real world" has a photo. an unmanned radar station has a photo. there is EVIDENCE of an infraction.

a speeding ticket in this HOA case is arbitrary if no contact was made at the time of the incident, no photo to back it up, or any evidence to establish that it actually occurred.

where's the PHOTO???????

Old 08-03-2010, 10:29 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe2ofus View Post
i personally know someone, the daughter of an HOA resident who was driving her car within the boundaries of the property who was contacted and stopped for speeding and cited. there was contact made by an HOA representative for the infraction at the time of the incident and a fine was administered.

the OP has NOT indicated that he was stopped by anyone, that any photo was given, taken or indicated at any time.

a red light infraction in the "real world" has a photo. an unmanned radar station has a photo. there is EVIDENCE of an infraction.

a speeding ticket in this HOA case is arbitrary if no contact was made at the time of the incident, no photo to back it up, or any evidence to establish that it actually occurred.

where's the PHOTO???????
This is not a criminal matter. It has no requirement for any particular level of evidence. In general any car allowed in is associated with an address...if it is your address you get the speeding ticket.

MMB - A clear face photo is required in CA. Ticket gets dismissed if it is not you.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:16 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,244,573 times
The illustrious KLAS I-Team found this newsworthy, too.

I-Team: Some HOA Security Guards Acting as Traffic Cops - KLAS-TV Channel 8 News Las Vegas

The big question for me is when does an HOA that isn't on private streets get granted the authority to enforce minor traffic violations? With the privatization of red light cameras installed by the government, I see no reason why an industrious industry, like HOA's, wouldn't just love to get their hands on some local government or federal contracts. They already act like quasi-government agencies in many respects.

I have seen private roadside radar detectors, with what I thought was an attached camera, in Desert Shores.

Collectively though, HOA's been knocked down a peg or two. They used to rigorously enforce a particular rule regarding who can park on certain master plan's public streets, where they can park and when. Now as I understand, maybe I'm wrong here, HOA's can no longer enforce those rules on public streets? Maybe that's a shallow precedent for me to ease my concern upon because I see my HOA sitting at intersections, assisting with traffic, armed bike patrol, and this is all on the surrounding public streets. I am not for HOA's as cops. Too much potential for abuse.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
The illustrious KLAS I-Team found this newsworthy, too.

I-Team: Some HOA Security Guards Acting as Traffic Cops - KLAS-TV Channel 8 News Las Vegas

The big question for me is when does an HOA that isn't on private streets get granted the authority to enforce minor traffic violations? With the privatization of red light cameras installed by the government, I see no reason why an industrious industry, like HOA's, wouldn't just love to get their hands on some local government or federal contracts. They already act like quasi-government agencies in many respects.

I have seen private roadside radar detectors, with what I thought was an attached camera, in Desert Shores.

Collectively though, HOA's been knocked down a peg or two. They used to rigorously enforce a particular rule regarding who can park on certain master plan's public streets, where they can park and when. Now as I understand, maybe I'm wrong here, HOA's can no longer enforce those rules on public streets? Maybe that's a shallow precedent for me to ease my concern upon because I see my HOA sitting at intersections, assisting with traffic, armed bike patrol, and this is all on the surrounding public streets. I am not for HOA's as cops. Too much potential for abuse.
HOA have lost the right to regulate parking by cars on streets that have been dedicated...ie taken over by the municipality. They can however regulate other vehicles such as RVs, boats and other trailers on those streets.

The Desert Shore radar is strictly advisory. Those streets are all dedicated. Just an attempt to slow the "speedway" there a little.

I am surprised that you see the HOA security active on adjoining streets. They have no right to do so.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:52 AM

402 posts, read 1,528,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

Not the driver.

Period.
Arizona requires a pic of the driver on photo radar tickets. You can have one dismissed if it isn't you in the picture, though there is a spot on the affidavit if you want to rat out whoever was driving.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,528 times
Simply put: 1) The guards here at RR are actually trained and the unit calibrated monthly.
2) The roads are private, posted and all residential with kids, dogs and joggers.
3) We agreed to the HOA when we moved here and so they can and will fine us.
4) Faster you go the more you pay 26-30mph is less than 30-35mph.
5) The inside loop of RR is about 2 miles long...at 25 mph it takes less than five minutes to travel around full circle and at 32mph it is still more than 4 minutes...Is a $70 dollar fine worth less than a minute saved? Heading for the ER at San Martin? Going to Vons for some bananas? We make the choices and pay the price...Oh and if you were actually going to the ER...bring a time sensitive receipt of your treatment to the HOA hearing and they will gladly waive the fine...a receipt for the bananas will not have the same effect.
6)If you chose not to attend the hearing or pay, they will tack on late fees and if continually ignored will eventually foreclose and take the house.
7)OUCH !!!

Old 09-08-2010, 10:51 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,568,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uli2000 View Post
Uh oh, sounds like a little hitler from the HOA board found someone talking bad about their precious HOA. Better get back to measuring the weeds of your neighbors and searching for garage doors that arn't painted the proper shade of beige.

He has 1 valid point. That is that the people agreed to it before moving in. Otherwise most of these HOA's are just pyramid money making schemes designed to dazzle and ultimately confuse people out of their money on technicalities. HOA Busters was recently featured on the local news here after a woman was repeatedly harassed by her HOA and they even towed her car out of her driveway after putting the "boot" on it several times for some ridiculous violation. They are crossing the line into criminal violations such as trespassing and going far beyond their authority. Here is the link to their site HOA Busters
and here is the link for the video on the news http://www.ktnv.com/global/Category....autoStart=true

Last edited by unf0rgiven6262; 09-08-2010 at 10:52 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 09-09-2010, 02:18 PM

399 posts, read 1,026,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
He has 1 valid point. That is that the people agreed to it before moving in. Otherwise most of these HOA's are just pyramid money making schemes designed to dazzle and ultimately confuse people out of their money on technicalities. HOA Busters was recently featured on the local news here after a woman was repeatedly harassed by her HOA and they even towed her car out of her driveway after putting the "boot" on it several times for some ridiculous violation. They are crossing the line into criminal violations such as trespassing and going far beyond their authority. Here is the link to their site HOA Busters
and here is the link for the video on the news KTNV Video - KTNV ABC,Channel 13,Las Vegas,Nevada,News,Weather,Sports,Entertainment,KTN V.com,Action News .:.
I love how she never says what the violation was or why she couldn't follow the CC&Rs.
It looks like some of those vehicles in the driveways were hanging out partially obstructing the street. Maybe they are supposed to use their garages for their cars and not storage. I can only guess since the info was left out.
HOAs need to be able to use fines because certain people will just ignore rules when there is no way to enforce them. You can send written notices forever and many will just ignore them when there are no consequences.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdreloc View Post
I love how she never says what the violation was or why she couldn't follow the CC&Rs.
It looks like some of those vehicles in the driveways were hanging out partially obstructing the street. Maybe they are supposed to use their garages for their cars and not storage. I can only guess since the info was left out.
HOAs need to be able to use fines because certain people will just ignore rules when there is no way to enforce them. You can send written notices forever and many will just ignore them when there are no consequences.
It gets tricky. If an outside person sets foot on your property in NV without permission it is trespass. Parking across a sidewalk is almost certainly a CC&R violaton. But that does not mean that it can be pursued by committing trespass to place a boot on a car. The HOA can of course call a violation and fine the owner for the offense.

I would suspect this is some strategy to collect easily without having to run through the HOA system. I would also suspect it illegal. I would just cut a couple of those boots off which would pretty quickly put a stop to the booting.

The guy who is fronting this HOA Busters is a piece of work. Writes absolutely florid prose with simple hate as the message. I would not get near him with a ten foot pole.

You correct bad HOAs by taking over the Board. It takes some work but it is worth it.

Note that a lot of this sort of problem is driven by the initial developer who builds a property that is sharply deficient in parking. The Developer comes in with narrow streets and short driveways and single car garages and virtually no visitor parking. Note that the municipality owns a big piece of this...How much parking is needed is well known yet they allow people to build with well less than that. And then they act surprised a few years out when it is an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas