U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 07:49 PM

3 posts, read 8,587 times

Advertisements

I've owned a home and have been living in Rhodes Ranch since 2002 without any issues with our HOA. Recently I recieved a letter from the HOA stating I was seen speeding. My crime? 32 mph in a 25 mph zone. The fine is $70.00

Seems the HOA has our security guards armed with radar guns. I don't mind a fine or that those with questionable ability are playing policeman. I don't even mind that the HOA refers to itself as a tribunal with powers to vote me off the island. I am though, galled at the amount of the fine.

Anyone had a similar experience? I was wondering how you dealt with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 07:54 PM

7,111 posts, read 10,202,525 times
Were you speeding in a residential neighborhood? If so, this is looked more serious that speeding on the highway.

Residential speeding= Can possibly hit kids, dogs, pedestrians
Highway speeding= Can possibly hit another car.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:41 PM

397 posts, read 1,236,091 times
Is it a gated neighborhood with private roads? If not, I'd fight it and threaten to report them for impersonating law enforcement.

edit: And just because it may be gated doesn't mean you automaticaly have private roads. I believe they actually have to sign the road as private for it to be that way.

Last edited by uli2000; 08-01-2010 at 09:18 PM..

Old 08-01-2010, 08:47 PM

2,484 posts, read 3,510,017 times
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. HOA's can be useful but there needs to be some balance.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:04 PM

46 posts, read 92,457 times
Just what we need now a HOA rent-a-cop with a radar gun. Thats as bad as a mall cop with a real gun.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:36 PM

1,951 posts, read 3,581,702 times
Haven't experienced it but I would fight it big time. Law enforcement needs to be left to those who are properly trained, those officers generally have to be certified in using a radar gun and generally have to show in court that the gun was properly calibrated prior to issuing tickets.

I wouldn't pay it rather I would be at the local ACLU office.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:45 PM

3 posts, read 8,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Were you speeding in a residential neighborhood? If so, this is looked more serious that speeding on the highway.

Residential speeding= Can possibly hit kids, dogs, pedestrians
Highway speeding= Can possibly hit another car.
Was I going 32 mph in a 25 mph zone? I have no idea. Going 32 mph isn't going to stay with me as a memorable experience. And no, it was not on a residential street but the question misses the point. That being I am being billed $70 based on the word of a person I am not allowed to question, using equipment that may or may not be working. Couple that to the fact the person operating the equipment is a hired security guard as opposed to someone trained to enforce the law. Very few HOA's enforce traffic laws for the obvious reason, they do not have the expertise to be playing cop and court.

That they refer to themselves as a Tribunial, is rather telling. I wonder if they have HOA Tribunial Outfits and theme music.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:47 PM

838 posts, read 1,714,302 times
Is there anything in your CC&R's saying that the HOA has the power to do this?

Old 08-01-2010, 10:18 PM

397 posts, read 1,236,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
Haven't experienced it but I would fight it big time. Law enforcement needs to be left to those who are properly trained, those officers generally have to be certified in using a radar gun and generally have to show in court that the gun was properly calibrated prior to issuing tickets.

I wouldn't pay it rather I would be at the local ACLU office.
Exactly. LE radars are calibrated on a regular basis and the offices have training in how to use them. The guy who picked up a radar gun at Dick's to check his son's fastball is not in the same class as a trained LEO. I'd go to the board and ask for calibration records on the gun and the "officer's" training records in using the radar gun.

If I was in your shoes, I'd rather pay a lawyer for an hour of his time and have him write a letter to you HOA board on your behalf. Put the fear of God into them like they like to do to their neighbors.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:16 AM

46 posts, read 92,457 times
It is an easy thing to check on,read your CC&R's and see if you agreed to this. The best thing to do is to go to the meetings. I know at ours only the same people show up . And they make the rules. I am involved with my HOA and I still think they suck. It is run by people who have no business experience and we make 100,000 dollar decisions that affect everyone. And as long as the head house wife thinks it is a good one then thats what the other sheep do. I am trying to change ours from the inside. Or I am I just a Jerk? Just my 2cents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas