Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 09:49 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times

Advertisements

This morning I was sitting in the Quest Lab....two elderly people [elderly is anyone older then me] were talking about Senator Reids latest foot in mouth incident and when he tried to correct it he stuck the other foot in...The lady said "Yah Harry stuck his foot in his mouth yesterday the today he DOUBLED DOWN and did it again."

THIS was NOT an indictment of Scary Harry but was meant to show the YKYILVW theory so lets not go political here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 10:31 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
Oh yeah...we hate when people say "Nevawda" . It is so flipping annoying! Especially newscasters from back east. All the states sound fine until they say Nevada and Colorado (Colorawdo). Why do these states have a British accent?
They also seem not to know how to pronounce Oregon. They pronounce it Or-e-gone.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:37 AM

159 posts, read 359,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memememe View Post
My first YKYIVW moment was when I emailed my girlfriend and said, "You're never gonna believe it -- they have slot machines in the grocery store! I know it's old hat to you guys but it struck me on day one. I'm not a prude about it. It was just odd! Liquor is something I was used to, though.

The other thing, around the same time, was having four people tell me how to properly pronounce Nevada. And one of them didn't do it very nicely.
Yeah, I couldn't believe it, either. And at a store with the funniest name...

Old 08-13-2010, 08:48 AM

90 posts, read 185,028 times
For whatever reason, east coasters (which I am originally) say Nevahda primarily. I'm not sure why. But I've been corrected. (sigh)

I saw that news, too, maharlika. Pardon me for saying so, but that is just the kind of nonsense I was hoping I wouldn't see when I moved to NeVADDa. Oh, well :/ While I abhor such stuff actually being entertained as law, I did identify with his assessment that he's embarrassed when people from his home state coarsely correct out-of-towners in their pronounciation when it really doesn't matter much. It does seem like an odd way to behave to strangers in a town so dependent on tourist dollars, but my relatives in Elko treated me the same way. So whatcha gonna do.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:25 PM

549 posts, read 1,380,122 times
You know you're in Vegas when...

You're driving on I-15 and are blinded by the neon signs.

You never awake on a Saturday morning by neighbors mowing lawns.

You run from roaches and don't know what half the critters are in your home or garage.

You see fake 'streams' in front lawns.

I'll come up with more later... but, I think you guys have done a GREAT job!

Also, I like KLUC too! I also listen to KVEG.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:51 PM

487 posts, read 747,137 times
What you guys are recounting is exactly the reason I want to live in the Vegas area

Old 08-14-2010, 10:39 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memememe View Post
For whatever reason, east coasters (which I am originally) say Nevahda primarily. I'm not sure why. But I've been corrected. (sigh)

I saw that news, too, maharlika. Pardon me for saying so, but that is just the kind of nonsense I was hoping I wouldn't see when I moved to NeVADDa. Oh, well :/ While I abhor such stuff actually being entertained as law, I did identify with his assessment that he's embarrassed when people from his home state coarsely correct out-of-towners in their pronounciation when it really doesn't matter much. It does seem like an odd way to behave to strangers in a town so dependent on tourist dollars, but my relatives in Elko treated me the same way. So whatcha gonna do.
LOL pronounce it right.....

We are so adamant about it because we have suffered for 146 years with the ADD/AAH controversy...we want what we want....and we want it NOW

Old 08-14-2010, 10:58 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
This morning I was sitting in the Quest Lab....two elderly people [elderly is anyone older then me] were talking about Senator Reids latest foot in mouth incident and when he tried to correct it he stuck the other foot in...The lady said "Yah Harry stuck his foot in his mouth yesterday the today he DOUBLED DOWN and did it again."

THIS was NOT an indictment of Scary Harry but was meant to show the YKYILVW theory so lets not go political here.
Let me guess...then an Afican American named Jack came out and said..."next."

Old 08-15-2010, 05:24 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,664,494 times
What's the format on those two stations? As a fellow 45 year old, I guess that I'm normal in that I like The Point. Gotta' have my classic rock!

Old 08-16-2010, 01:10 AM

12 posts, read 20,807 times
you are in the movie line and holding change from your popcorn, and the ticket attendant grabs the money in your hand and says "thanks".

Vegas people think they deserve a tip for everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas