U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 02:08 PM

5 posts, read 7,359 times

Advertisements

I have tenants who have been renting my house for almost 3 years. There is no written agreement. They have not paid rent in a month. I need to find out how to evict them when there isn't a written rental agreement. Can I do the 5 day pay or quit with a verbal agreement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 02:54 PM

15,371 posts, read 32,264,180 times
THREE YEARS payin n the tenant has a bad month so throw him out....

Old 08-05-2010, 04:04 PM

5 posts, read 7,359 times
He is unemployed now and ran out of benefits. I can't risk losing my house because this is not going to be a month deal.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:42 PM

2,485 posts, read 3,510,605 times
Welcome to the world of hearsay. Why in the world would you rent without a lease? Are they illegal aliens?

Old 08-05-2010, 06:15 PM

10,778 posts, read 21,302,519 times
no you cannot give the 5 day and quit.. you can give a 30 day notice to vacate since there is no lease. however, if the tenant gets nasty, they can go to court and get some extra time... think about this before you do it.. i've been living in your house for 3yrs, always paying rent, i miss it once and you are going to throw me out in this economy.. i'm going to think real hard about tearing your house apart because i've got nothing to lose and you've got nothing to gain..

i would be real careful on this one.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:16 PM

10,778 posts, read 21,302,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slhartman View Post
I can't risk losing my house because this is not going to be a month deal.
so after you throw him out, it'll take more than a month to rerent so you lose the house anyway... didn't you think about this prior to becoming a landlord?

Old 08-05-2010, 06:43 PM

3,622 posts, read 4,433,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
THREE YEARS payin n the tenant has a bad month so throw him out....
Yeah, that's tough. Unless he/she has had problems with them before. Throw them out and you might not even find a renter!

Old 08-05-2010, 06:49 PM

3,622 posts, read 4,433,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slhartman View Post
He is unemployed now and ran out of benefits. I can't risk losing my house because this is not going to be a month deal.
Try working something out with them. Personally if I was in your situation I would go talk to them and give them a deadline. Try working something out. Like paying half of the month they missed with next month and then the other half with the month after that.

You might be in a worse situation with no renters for 6 months. If they have been there 3 years they sound like consistant reasonable people.

If you don't want to do that simply tell them they need to move out by a certain date unless they pay. I would give them a reasonable time- like 2 weeks.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:14 PM

278 posts, read 669,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
no you cannot give the 5 day and quit.. you can give a 30 day notice to vacate since there is no lease. however, if the tenant gets nasty, they can go to court and get some extra time... think about this before you do it.. i've been living in your house for 3yrs, always paying rent, i miss it once and you are going to throw me out in this economy.. i'm going to think real hard about tearing your house apart because i've got nothing to lose and you've got nothing to gain..

i would be real careful on this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
so after you throw him out, it'll take more than a month to rerent so you lose the house anyway... didn't you think about this prior to becoming a landlord?
agreed.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:24 PM

967 posts, read 1,246,713 times
Can you do a hybid of both? Give them a 30 day notice with a way out if they come up with the money before the 30 days. Give them a reason not to trash your place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas