U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 02:38 AM

188 posts, read 299,989 times
Default The Smart Electricity Meters are being approved this month

I'm not looking forward to it, especially since I work from home. I think I'll need to get a window or portable A/C once I move to the valley because the central A/C is very expensive (a small window a/c like this uses about 15% of the power a central a/c does: Frigidaire FRA052XT7 5000 BTU 2 Speed Rotary Air Conditioner)

Do most apartment owners in Vegas dis-allow window A/C? My current landlord in CA doesn't, but the area is milder around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 08:37 AM

13,902 posts, read 9,516,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD1985 View Post
I'm not looking forward to it, especially since I work from home. I think I'll need to get a window or portable A/C once I move to the valley because the central A/C is very expensive (a small window a/c like this uses about 15% of the power a central a/c does: Frigidaire FRA052XT7 5000 BTU 2 Speed Rotary Air Conditioner)

Do most apartment owners in Vegas dis-allow window A/C? My current landlord in CA doesn't, but the area is milder around here.
What's the problem, exactly? Why does it matter what type of meter they use?

Old 08-14-2010, 08:41 AM

8,778 posts, read 4,885,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
What's the problem, exactly? Why does it matter what type of meter they use?
The "smart" meter will control how much you are permitted to cool your home.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:18 AM

526 posts, read 679,174 times
the smart meter is a prelude to tiered electric rates which will charge us more for usage during the peak hours of 2-7pm. they cannot do this until consumers have a way to measure their usage by the hour, in order for us to be able to shut down all living between those hours to save money or keep from having their bill double. for those that must stay home during the day, its very bad news for keeping your budget in check. If you think the higher peak hrs rates will be balanced out by lower non-peak rates, think again. even if they try to push this on the unsuspecting public to try to sway opionion, rest assured that those non peak rates will hardly be much less than the current all day rates we have now and certainly not enough to offset the huge increase in peak rate usage.

its all a snow job by NVEnergy, IMO

Old 08-14-2010, 09:19 AM

15,380 posts, read 22,197,456 times
if the electric company thinks your cool enough they shut the power down....causing you to have to reset every friggin clock in the house and reprogram you TV not to mention lose that once in alifetime tv show you were trying to record....

This is the way I understand it.....another great idea from the Power Czars.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
The "smart" meter will control how much you are permitted to cool your home.
Got a link?

Old 08-14-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
if the electric company thinks your cool enough they shut the power down....
Got a link?

Old 08-14-2010, 10:18 AM

169 posts, read 184,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
if the electric company thinks your cool enough they shut the power down....causing you to have to reset every friggin clock in the house and reprogram you TV not to mention lose that once in alifetime tv show you were trying to record....

This is the way I understand it.....another great idea from the Power Czars.
Obviously you don't understand it (at all) then.

gvc8 was basically spot on. It's nothing more than a money grab by NVEnergy, and is bad for all.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:24 AM

Obviously I don't nor do I care to.....simple.....I dont want ANYone controlling anything in my house unless they're paying part of the mortgage....simple to me.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Got a link?
Nope..just a MASSIVE distrust of ANYTHING done by NVENERGY...they are afterall a part of a Kalifornia Kompany....therefore are not to be trusted

[Sierra Pacific Power I believe]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas