U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-20-2010, 12:38 AM
 
Location: Yorker to Vegan
54 posts, read 102,574 times
Reputation: 29

Advertisements

It's almost closing time for a house we've been under contract on for almost 2 months. Today we passed by to take a look at the repairs that we thought have been already done. Lo and behold I see a... scorpion! Is it any indication of something worse? Like a whole family of them in the house? There are no palm trees in the vicinity. I am mostly afraid for my grandma, as I've read that its bite can be fatal for the elderly/children/those with a compromised immune system. Is it a dealbreaker? Can we just hire pest control professionals and have the peace of mind that more won't be coming along? I thought being in "Old Summerlin," this woudn't be an issue. Thanks in advance for your input... Another reason for posting this: just wanted to share as this is the first time I've seen one and it was both interesting/scary at the same time. Earlier I had to caution my grandma twice about going to that part of the house.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by maharlika; 08-20-2010 at 12:52 AM..
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2010, 03:14 AM
 
Location: Somewhere.
9,571 posts, read 20,654,785 times
Reputation: 6763
Call The Bug bully.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2010, 04:03 AM
 
Location: Yorker to Vegan
54 posts, read 102,574 times
Reputation: 29
Thanks! Is this their number: (702) 399-7163 ? We're planning to do that before moving in. how much do they charge? Still wary about the scorpion... Wonder if there's more inside the house/backyard... We've been there numerous times and only saw one once - today.

... I thought that it was more likely for one to find a scorpion in a newly developed community...

Hmm... the photo disappeared.

Thanks again!

Last edited by maharlika; 08-20-2010 at 05:09 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2010, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Kingman AZ
15,371 posts, read 32,233,794 times
Reputation: 8934
Negotiate a rent/lease deal with the scorp.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2010, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Upstate NY!
13,819 posts, read 23,444,830 times
Reputation: 7615
You're in the desert now. Scorpions in LV are as common as rats in NYC.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2010, 10:07 AM
 
170 posts, read 278,369 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
You're in the desert now. Scorpions in LV are as common as rats in NYC.
Funny, I've lived here 7 years (in an apartment, condo, and two houses) and have NEVER seen one. Thought I was finally getting my wish the other night out by the pool, but once I got the flashlight it turned out to be a cricket carrying a moth.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2010, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Kingman AZ
15,371 posts, read 32,233,794 times
Reputation: 8934
a 12 gauge shotgun works well for em......



BLAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2010, 10:37 AM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 30,834,899 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by maharlika View Post
It's almost closing time for a house we've been under contract on for almost 2 months. Today we passed by to take a look at the repairs that we thought have been already done. Lo and behold I see a... scorpion! Is it any indication of something worse? Like a whole family of them in the house? There are no palm trees in the vicinity. I am mostly afraid for my grandma, as I've read that its bite can be fatal for the elderly/children/those with a compromised immune system. Is it a dealbreaker? Can we just hire pest control professionals and have the peace of mind that more won't be coming along? I thought being in "Old Summerlin," this woudn't be an issue. Thanks in advance for your input... Another reason for posting this: just wanted to share as this is the first time I've seen one and it was both interesting/scary at the same time. Earlier I had to caution my grandma twice about going to that part of the house.
Get back in there with a flash light and search all the crevices and nooks and crannies...all along the edge of carpet where it goes under the base board...

If you find six or eight start negotiating to kill them or don't buy the house...they are established inside and are a pain to get rid of...Takes a lot of work and some time. May need to tent the place.

The one appears to be in the laundry room likely near the garage door...so it may be a lone escapee from the outdoors...you can control them reasonably well on the outside.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2010, 10:41 AM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 30,834,899 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKLAS View Post
Funny, I've lived here 7 years (in an apartment, condo, and two houses) and have NEVER seen one. Thought I was finally getting my wish the other night out by the pool, but once I got the flashlight it turned out to be a cricket carrying a moth.
They are very localized. We see them in Sun City in three or four locales but no where else. I would guess they are an annoyance at maybe 200 homes out of 7000.

The only thing we are seeing now is a lot of rats around. All around the NW, in Anthem and elsewhere. They are having a good year.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2010, 10:50 AM
 
1,582 posts, read 2,811,752 times
Reputation: 1529
I usually see about 3-4 scorpions a year at my house. Mostly in the garage or outside. Only a couple times have I seen one inside. We're not in a palm tree heavy community (just some palms around the pool).

We have a bug guy come every month and a half and always when I do see scorpions they seem to be on their last leg. Even though, a lot of people say scorpions are not as affected by the bug spray compared to roaches, silverfish, etc.

I agree that this is the desert and you've gotta get used to them to some degree. I wouldn't stop buying a house over it!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top