U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 12:05 PM

228 posts, read 636,758 times

Advertisements

Hey forum! Iíve been a lurker for about 5 months now, reading everyoneís posts about different topics in and about Las Vegas, you guys have given my a lot of info about this city.

Iím 23, getting ready to finish college with my aviation maintenance license. I currently live in South Florida, itís a beautiful down here for those who have been here at all, but after 20 years here I think itís time for me to move out and see this beautiful country of ours. I know some will say, why donít you just move out of your parentís house and buy a nice house in your area, and ideally I would do that, be close to home and stay in this tropical wonderland, BUTÖthe aviation business in Palm Beach, Broward and Miami is going down because of recession. I use to work in the field as line service making good money, but I got laid off and havenít been able to find work for a year and 9 months now, so have alot of my friends.

Iím getting ready to start my career, but again, a lot of the shops down here what people who have the skills set already, so they can walk in and start making the company money, they donít want to stop and train me, so I'm forced into moving if I want a great job. Iíve been looking online for jobs using websites that cater to aviation. Iíve see ALOT of jobs in CA, NV, AZ, TX, etc. Those places seem to be very hot for workers and some are willing to train me and show me the ropes.

My first choice would be L.A., but the houses out there are kind of hit or miss in the pricing. I don't know what it is about Las Vegas, but everytime I check the job boards, I always look at Vegas. Iíve never been there, yet everytime I read these posts about it, seems to me like a piece of home in the desert. I mean we have a lot in common with the tourist and stuff.

Anyhoo, I want to here from the aviators of this boardÖall the pilots, mechanics, flight attended, air traffic controllers, operations, line service and anyone who works at any of the airports in Las Vegas. Shoot even the airport bums who just sit and watch planes. Is it worth it? Even if you don't work in aviation feel free to comment, cause this is one of the most important decision I can make as a young man. I wanna make sure I get it somewhat right. LOL

Just so you know about me, Iím 23 and Iím thinking if I do move it will be next year. Iím not a clueless college student with wild dreams and no plans. I DONíT do things haphazardly, I study the crap out of them and with this maybe move I want to study up until the day I move. So let me know. Iím thinking Henderson, NV and my price range for homes is 50k to 100k, 2b 1br, no condos (I donít like HOA). I have a car so I donít need that. I have stuff to put into the home, so I donít need that, Iím going to be living alone so I donít need to buy a lot of stuff. I did alot of research, using this site about houses, jobs, gangs, bugs, etc. Let me know if you think Nevada should be my next big adventure, thanks you guy so much, this web site helps take the sting out of maybe moving.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 03:38 PM

515 posts, read 1,020,111 times
A family member is a working pilot with a small operation in the area. He's also got a 4 year degree in aviation management. He's now going to school during his off days to become an MRI technician because he doesn't see much of a future in the aviation industry. I can't offer any more insight into his reasoning, though I personally have my doubts about his acumen.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:45 PM

2,038 posts, read 3,648,425 times
My mom and other family members have a long and varied career in aviation. Pan American World Airways, United, Continental, etc. Some of my family members have been flight engineers, and flight attendants.

You know where all the large hubs are and where the intermediate maintenance facilities are so of course I would look there. I hear a lot of bellyaching from my family about the uncertainty of working in the airlines any longer. Much of the maintenance for the fleet is now performed in other countries, as you probably know.

If I were in your shoes, I would consider possibly joining metro police or a law enforcement agency as a tech. One of the most interesting opportunities Vegas has to offer is Bigelow Aerospace, a company that is developing next generation space complexes.

Here is a quick manta search of Las Vegas aviation companies. Manta

Good luck and much success in your career.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:05 PM

11,574 posts, read 22,669,562 times
your housing requirements are a mirage in the desert.. 50k in Henderson? ok, maybe a doublewide.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
your housing requirements are a mirage in the desert.. 50k in Henderson? ok, maybe a doublewide.
What would be a better number range to think about in that area, since you live there and know the area more then me.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:39 PM

104 posts, read 273,335 times
I am in the aviation / airline business. Flights have been cut, hours have been cut and for the first time in 15 years , with my high seniority , I am worried. Las Vegas has close to 15% unemployment and jobs especially in aviation are hard to come by.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:19 PM

369 posts, read 663,958 times
A friend of mine sold his flight school out here. GA has taken a beating. If you are a rotor mechanic you may be able to find a job with one of the tour companies if they don't already out source. The guy who does my work on my little puddle jumper left Vegas to go to work out in California and does his GA work on the side when he comes home. I would say your best bet would be to try and get on with one of the big companies and go where they send you. Southwest might send you here.

Some GA in Las Vegas area
http://www.westairaviation.com/

Henderson Executive Airport - Directory

Old 08-22-2010, 11:05 PM

11,574 posts, read 22,669,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr00th View Post
What would be a better number range to think about in that area, since you live there and know the area more then me.
50k MIGHT get you 1br condo... for a house, almost TRIPLE.. plus you'll be fighting with the investors... unless of course you can stand a rougher area or a home that was built in the 80s or older

Old 08-25-2010, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the replies on this topic, it's helped me rethink Vegas. I still wanna move out West, and I still feel Vegas is the best place West to move to.

The job market here, isn't 14% but it's not getting any better or worse here. And to the poster who asked if I'm a rotorcraft tech, I am doing helicopters and the tour groups is the only real reason to look for work out there. A few of them are looking for workers even now. I figure with all the people who go to Vegas, these tour spots would get some type of traffic.

As far as housing, I've been looking all over the internet, and on the Realtor web-site for houses 75k to 125k and I see some nice ones, and yes I perfer an older house to one that looks like I'm some weird Utopian world of cookie cutter houses. LOL

I need to rethink everything, but for the most part you guy helped install some perspective on the issue. I have one more question to ask then I will shut up. If not Vegas, where do you think the best up and coming city is in the West for someone to move to? Phoenix? Denver? San Diego has some rotor jobs there as well, sorry to pester you guy with silly questions.

Thanks again for the input.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:22 AM

15,371 posts, read 33,754,701 times
helicopters don't fly.!!!!!

They're so ugly the ground repels them

DON'T FLAME ME....I was only kidding......

NOT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or