U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-23-2013, 01:51 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
12,686 posts, read 30,969,141 times
Reputation: 5358

Advertisements

If this isn't the right place to ask I apologize. But I'm thinking about getting a carry permit and want a very light weapon that won't pull my pants down. And I want one that won't cost an arm and a leg.

Anyway, I found on Bass Pro Shop's website a Taurus TCP 738 auto (.380). It weighs 10.2 oz and "only" costs $229.99. It only holds 6 + 1 rounds, but if I haven't hit that home invader or mugger by then I'm probably in deep doo doo anyway.

There is also a Ruger LCP .380 that costs $349.99 and only weighs 9.40 oz. Also holds 6+1.

Or should I stick with the original plan and get much heavier 9mm? The Ruger P95 is also $349.99 with a 15 round mag.

Any thoughts anybody?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-23-2013, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Earth
4,506 posts, read 5,253,259 times
Reputation: 4933
Quote:
Could you tell me what that costs? I'd like my wife to get some good training. I can teach her, but I think most family members would pay more attention to a non family member. Besides, I haven't had any training myself since the 1960s in the Marine Corps; so I could use a refresher too.
I don't really remember, partially because I did my CCW and my armed guard card at the same time. They have about 75% overlap and I got a discount for doing both at the same time.

Semper Fi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2013, 11:23 AM
 
9,952 posts, read 8,438,330 times
Reputation: 5826
.380s are easy to carry, but if the SHTF, it's not what you want your life depending on. There are now lots of good, small, lightweight 9mm Luger chambered pistols that it's silly to go with .380. Look at the Kahr PM/CM 9, the S&W M&P Shield, the Ruger LC9, the Walther PPS, among others. If you can deal with the width of the gun, look at the Glock 26.

Taurus doesn't have a great reputation, although they have a few guns that look interesting. There 708 Slim would fit in with the guns I mentioned above. The Ruger P95 is, IIRC, the next size class up (what I call standard compact.) If you go that big (and with the right carry rig, you can), you open your options up considerably.

Also whatever gun you go with, invest in a good carry rig (holster, and purpose designed gun belt.) These do wonders in supporting the weight of the gun, and sucking it into your body, so it doesn't print.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
If this isn't the right place to ask I apologize. But I'm thinking about getting a carry permit and want a very light weapon that won't pull my pants down. And I want one that won't cost an arm and a leg.

Anyway, I found on Bass Pro Shop's website a Taurus TCP 738 auto (.380). It weighs 10.2 oz and "only" costs $229.99. It only holds 6 + 1 rounds, but if I haven't hit that home invader or mugger by then I'm probably in deep doo doo anyway.

There is also a Ruger LCP .380 that costs $349.99 and only weighs 9.40 oz. Also holds 6+1.

Or should I stick with the original plan and get much heavier 9mm? The Ruger P95 is also $349.99 with a 15 round mag.

Any thoughts anybody?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2013, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
12,686 posts, read 30,969,141 times
Reputation: 5358
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
.380s are easy to carry, but if the SHTF, it's not what you want your life depending on. There are now lots of good, small, lightweight 9mm Luger chambered pistols that it's silly to go with .380. Look at the Kahr PM/CM 9, the S&W M&P Shield, the Ruger LC9, the Walther PPS, among others. If you can deal with the width of the gun, look at the Glock 26.

Taurus doesn't have a great reputation, although they have a few guns that look interesting. There 708 Slim would fit in with the guns I mentioned above. The Ruger P95 is, IIRC, the next size class up (what I call standard compact.) If you go that big (and with the right carry rig, you can), you open your options up considerably.

Also whatever gun you go with, invest in a good carry rig (holster, and purpose designed gun belt.) These do wonders in supporting the weight of the gun, and sucking it into your body, so it doesn't print.
Thanks for the good info BBMW. Right after Christmas I plan to go shopping. Price is a consideration, so I won't be buying what I'd really like to have, but hope to find one I like under $400. I have a .38 revolver that would work, but I'd prefer a slimmer, lighter weapon to hang on my body. I'll take your advise on the carry rig. I'd probably get good help on that at American Shooters. I don't plan to shoot anyone if I can help it, but criminals are preying on people of certain age, and I am no longer in shape to beat the sh** out of a mugger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2013, 05:08 PM
 
1,069 posts, read 1,725,773 times
Reputation: 1225
Hey Buzz, just a couple of things.

First, the adage is that a concealed carry gun should be comforting, not comfortable. I.E. get something with authority, not worry about the weight. A good holster will take care of the added weight and you won't even be aware of it if you carry every day. Second, a very lightweight pistol in any kind of caliber that means something will be a bear to shoot and certainly to hold on target for a follow-up shot.

One other thing. Don't discount the small 38+p or .357 revolvers. I have a Ruger SP101 that is barely wider than an auto and holds 5 rounds of lethal .357 or almost as lethal 38+p. It has a bit of weight to it and I can hold the +p well. The .357s are a b*tch to shoot, but if you need it, it's there for you. I read an article about a professional hunter in Africa using an SP101 loaded with 180-grain .357 hardcasts as a kill shot gun for lion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2013, 05:33 PM
 
1,374 posts, read 2,566,388 times
Reputation: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Hey Buzz, just a couple of things.

First, the adage is that a concealed carry gun should be comforting, not comfortable. I.E. get something with authority, not worry about the weight. A good holster will take care of the added weight and you won't even be aware of it if you carry every day. Second, a very lightweight pistol in any kind of caliber that means something will be a bear to shoot and certainly to hold on target for a follow-up shot.

One other thing. Don't discount the small 38+p or .357 revolvers. I have a Ruger SP101 that is barely wider than an auto and holds 5 rounds of lethal .357 or almost as lethal 38+p. It has a bit of weight to it and I can hold the +p well. The .357s are a b*tch to shoot, but if you need it, it's there for you. I read an article about a professional hunter in Africa using an SP101 loaded with 180-grain .357 hardcasts as a kill shot gun for lion.
Anything that's a ***** to shoot is going to become impossible to shoot under duress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2013, 06:29 PM
 
9,952 posts, read 8,438,330 times
Reputation: 5826
Okay, here we go....

You're complaining about how small autos are a handful to shoot, then you recommend a small frame .357 mag? Small frame revolvers are notorious hard to shoot well. Beside the recoil issues, they tiny little sight radius makes them harder to aim. With an autoloader, the reloading cycle absorbs a fair amount of the recoil, and the length of the top of the slide give a longer sight radius (even while the overall length of the gun is shorter.)

And you small frame revolver only holds 5 rounds, and than has a slow, complicated reload. A Glock 26 is smaller and lighter than your revolvers, has a 10 round magazine (which can easily be expanded to 12), plus one in the chamber. It can be reloaded much more quickly, and can use the magazine of it's bigger stablemates (either 15 or 17 rounds.)

While .357 may be more effective than 9mm, .38 is not. And if you feel the need for something harder hitting than 9mm, all the guns I mentioned above are available in .40, if you're willing to give up a around or two, and deal with slightly more recoil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Hey Buzz, just a couple of things.

First, the adage is that a concealed carry gun should be comforting, not comfortable. I.E. get something with authority, not worry about the weight. A good holster will take care of the added weight and you won't even be aware of it if you carry every day. Second, a very lightweight pistol in any kind of caliber that means something will be a bear to shoot and certainly to hold on target for a follow-up shot.

One other thing. Don't discount the small 38+p or .357 revolvers. I have a Ruger SP101 that is barely wider than an auto and holds 5 rounds of lethal .357 or almost as lethal 38+p. It has a bit of weight to it and I can hold the +p well. The .357s are a b*tch to shoot, but if you need it, it's there for you. I read an article about a professional hunter in Africa using an SP101 loaded with 180-grain .357 hardcasts as a kill shot gun for lion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2013, 08:10 PM
 
1,069 posts, read 1,725,773 times
Reputation: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Okay, here we go....

You're complaining about how small autos are a handful to shoot, then you recommend a small frame .357 mag? Small frame revolvers are notorious hard to shoot well. Beside the recoil issues, they tiny little sight radius makes them harder to aim. With an autoloader, the reloading cycle absorbs a fair amount of the recoil, and the length of the top of the slide give a longer sight radius (even while the overall length of the gun is shorter.)

And you small frame revolver only holds 5 rounds, and than has a slow, complicated reload. A Glock 26 is smaller and lighter than your revolvers, has a 10 round magazine (which can easily be expanded to 12), plus one in the chamber. It can be reloaded much more quickly, and can use the magazine of it's bigger stablemates (either 15 or 17 rounds.)

While .357 may be more effective than 9mm, .38 is not. And if you feel the need for something harder hitting than 9mm, all the guns I mentioned above are available in .40, if you're willing to give up a around or two, and deal with slightly more recoil.
All good comments. I guess that's why there are both autos and revolvers.

As I said, the SP101 is much better to shoot with the .38+p. I'm not sure the 38+p is less powerful than the 9. The .38+p has a 158 grain bullet compared to a 115 grain bullet in the 9. I'd have to look at a knockdown chart to see which is better, but suffice to say, either is good. While I like revolvers, I never said I wouldn't take an auto. In fact, I have both a concealed carry auto and the SP101. My concealed carry auto is a 6-round (+1 up the pipe) Springfield Armory Ultracompact .45acp.

While the auto has a much faster reload, they can stovepipe if you don't shoot them often (and let's face it, most people NEVER practice with their concealed carry guns), it's a common problem with the wrist moving too much due to the recoil. Clearing a stovepipe under duress trumps any problems a revolver can have. (have a non-firing round? just pull the trigger again.)

Anyway, as I said to Buzz, don't just say the revolver is no good just because it seems wider than the auto. Either will work, but like you, I think a person should move to a larger caliber than the .380.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2013, 10:40 PM
 
9,952 posts, read 8,438,330 times
Reputation: 5826
9mm used to be less effective than .38 spl, but it's gotten a HUGE amount of ammo development lately. There are some really effective 148 grain loads out there. The Federal Tactical 147 grain HST comes immediately to mind.

I also think that a lot of the reliability issue with autos have been worked out. The vast majority of cops are not carrying autos. If they were having problems it would be well known. As long as the gun is well maintained (clean and properly lubed), there shouldn't be any problems. For a carry gun, even when not shot (and it SHOULD be shot regularly), it needs to be torn down, cleaned and lubed regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top