Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 10:08 AM

930 posts, read 1,817,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
There should be another round of rebates probably before summer starts.
actually I dont think so. I think the PUC included the discontinuation of all these energy efficient appliances when they voted to change the solar rates. the board members are bought and paid for by the cronies running our electric utility (imo)

"The Southwest Energy Efficiency Project said three programs were completely shuttered with a Tuesday vote by the three-member panel. The rest of NV Energy's programs were funded at low levels for 2016-2018.
Programs that were eliminated include a residential lighting program that lowered the cost of LED lamps sold in stores, a refrigerator recycling program and a pool pump program that provided incentives for installation of highly efficient pool pumps."

Utility regulators criticized for cutting energy efficiency programs | Las Vegas Review-Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 05:28 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,711,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc8 View Post
actually I dont think so. I think the PUC included the discontinuation of all these energy efficient appliances when they voted to change the solar rates. the board members are bought and paid for by the cronies running our electric utility (imo)

"The Southwest Energy Efficiency Project said three programs were completely shuttered with a Tuesday vote by the three-member panel. The rest of NV Energy's programs were funded at low levels for 2016-2018.
Programs that were eliminated include a residential lighting program that lowered the cost of LED lamps sold in stores, a refrigerator recycling program and a pool pump program that provided incentives for installation of highly efficient pool pumps."

Utility regulators criticized for cutting energy efficiency programs | Las Vegas Review-Journal
Possible, but you can bet that retailers will make up some marketing scheme to sell those pumps at the in-store type rebate "if you buy installation and calibration from us". Prices on the pumps are slowly coming down on the Intelliflo pumps and there are some good deals on the generic brand VS motors.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:24 PM

687 posts, read 4,405,012 times
I installed a variable speed pump for some friends of mine a couple years ago, bought it out of Arizona, 450 bucks.
Skip the rebate and paying someone a fortune locally for a pump. You'll be miles ahead in savings.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:42 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,711,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
I installed a variable speed pump for some friends of mine a couple years ago, bought it out of Arizona, 450 bucks.
Skip the rebate and paying someone a fortune locally for a pump. You'll be miles ahead in savings.
$450 for an intelliflo can be had here in Vegas is you buy used or refurbished. There are Variable speed motors you can attach to an existing head and spend about that much. There are other options with Hayward and Jandy pumps that make good VS pumps. Getting a variable speed pump is a no brainer these days because they will pay for themselves by saving you electricity.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:28 PM

687 posts, read 4,405,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
$450 for an intelliflo can be had here in Vegas is you buy used or refurbished. There are Variable speed motors you can attach to an existing head and spend about that much. There are other options with Hayward and Jandy pumps that make good VS pumps. Getting a variable speed pump is a no brainer these days because they will pay for themselves by saving you electricity.
Yeah, I should have mentioned that it was a motor that I added to their existing head. Either way though, it was a lot less than what my neighbors spent buying a complete unit locally. I cant remember the brand I installed but so far, its been trouble free.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:53 PM

687 posts, read 1,944,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariocova View Post
My utility company has a terrific website that allows me to look at my hourly power consumption on any given day. I was able to determine that my old 2 horse power pool pump was using 60 kWh per day which was costing me $176 per month. My new Pentair variable speed pool pump runs 12 hours per day at a very slow 900 RPM which uses only 126 watts. The new unit only cost me about $26 per month to operate. My new variable speed pool pump will pay for itself in 7 months. Additionally, my utility company gave me a $150 rebate as an incentive to purchase the new variable speed pool pump. I understand that consumers are startled by the sticker price of a variable speed pool pump and are dubious of the energy savings claims that installers promise but I am a firm believer.
Great example of guerrilla marketing.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:09 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,588,938 times
I have a medium sized pool with a suction cleaner ie: "the pool cleaner" brand that runs on the floor of the pool. It will not run or vacuum well I don't think at the 900 rpm touted in posts above.

That being the case, I am wondering if I would save that much when I have to run it at higher speeds 4 hrs plus a day to clean the bottom of the pool.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:22 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
I have a medium sized pool with a suction cleaner ie: "the pool cleaner" brand that runs on the floor of the pool. It will not run or vacuum well I don't think at the 900 rpm touted in posts above.

That being the case, I am wondering if I would save that much when I have to run it at higher speeds 4 hrs plus a day to clean the bottom of the pool.
I have a "The Pool Cleaner" and an Intelliflo VS, and it vacuums ok when consuming 250 watts (don't know the RPM, only the power consumption), with both the skimmer and vacuum running. If I need faster vacuuming I switch it to vacuum only. If I need fast skimming and vacuuming (need to get the pool clean in a hurry), I will switch to the next higher speed I have programmed (which is enough to run the spa). So it's still a huge savings on electricity compared to a single-speed pump.

BTW, each of the four speeds on my pump is programmable, so you can customize the speeds to your needs.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:41 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,588,938 times
In your setup, how much on average do you suspect you are saving using the VSP pump?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:22 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
In your setup, how much on average do you suspect you are saving using the VSP pump?

Thanks in advance.
My old pump had a 2hp motor, so figure around 2kW draw when it ran. I run my pump about twice as long now, but I'm using 1/8th the power, so I've reduced energy consumption by 75%. So if I was paying $120/month before in the summer, now I'm paying $30. I do run the pump longer than the minimum required. In the hottest part of the summer I sometimes run the pump 24x7 and get around two turns of water per day instead of the minimum recommended one turn per day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas