Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 05:43 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,344,517 times

Advertisements

I run my pump about six hours per day - three in the morning, three in the evening. That was the ideal circulation time recommended by my pool service. The first hour of each cycle is at the higher speed. I don't have a vacuum or other stuff attached, and I capped off my solar on the roof (got tired of spending money repairing it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 05:52 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,490,058 times
Does anyone know a reliable pool maintenance person around town? I want to help my sister scout around, my brother in law passed away recently and they have a pool that need maintenance on a regular basis.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:41 AM

2,537 posts, read 2,735,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
Does anyone know a reliable pool maintenance person around town? I want to help my sister scout around, my brother in law passed away recently and they have a pool that need maintenance on a regular basis.

Yes his user name on this forum is: AA702
His name is Steve.
Excellent reliable person to work with. I have used him for over a year now and I know there are others on this forum that use him too.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:19 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,986,981 times
He is excellent

Old 02-09-2013, 09:32 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,807,763 times
One person hit the nail on the head with impeller size. Putting a bigger motor on a pump does not cure the problem. You need to find out how many gallons per hour your pump is circulating and is it getting dead headed. The impeller size determines this. If you have a incorrect match your motor will bear the brunt of it. Variable speed motors are usually used when the water levels rise and fall a lot. They are great in tanks and chests in industry but for something like a swimming pool it is over kill. Cost wise it would be cheaper to replace or rebuild the single speed motor every couple of years. One question I have is routine maintenance being done on the pumps. Are the packing's being replaces and the shaft inspected for ware. What temperature is your pump motor when it is running that will kill a motor faster than anything. How many restrictions do you have in your lines each elbow or fitting is a restriction. Try googling Goulds Pumps they have a wealth of information on how to figure out what size pump and how the water ratio and impeller size match up. If you are burning out a motor every 1 or 2 years something is out of whack.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:36 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,807,763 times
I wish the HOA board where I live would listen to me about this but as usual they have their heads stuck in the sand and keep paying $$$ on more motors and pumps each year for our 3 pools and the electricity we waste.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:09 PM

687 posts, read 4,404,860 times
You guys don't have to spend a grand for one through local pool stores either. I bought the motor unit out of Arizona last year for around 450 bucks and installed it on an existing pump head.
This was for a friends pool and they are very happy with the savings.
I wish I could use one but they don't exist for 110 volt above ground pool situations.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 822 times
My utility company has a terrific website that allows me to look at my hourly power consumption on any given day. I was able to determine that my old 2 horse power pool pump was using 60 kWh per day which was costing me $176 per month. My new Pentair variable speed pool pump runs 12 hours per day at a very slow 900 RPM which uses only 126 watts. The new unit only cost me about $26 per month to operate. My new variable speed pool pump will pay for itself in 7 months. Additionally, my utility company gave me a $150 rebate as an incentive to purchase the new variable speed pool pump. I understand that consumers are startled by the sticker price of a variable speed pool pump and are dubious of the energy savings claims that installers promise but I am a firm believer.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:06 AM

930 posts, read 1,817,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariocova View Post
Additionally, my utility company gave me a $150 rebate as an incentive to purchase the new variable speed pool pump. I understand that consumers are startled by the sticker price of a variable speed pool pump and are dubious of the energy savings claims that installers promise but I am a firm believer.

NV Energy discontinued pool pump rebates eff 1/1/16:

https://www.nvenergy.com/home/saveen.../poolpumps.cfm
Pool Pump Rebates Ended January 1, 2016

Old 01-18-2016, 03:10 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,711,373 times
There should be another round of rebates probably before summer starts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas