U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 04:23 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,925,130 times

Advertisements

MadMan, thanks for the info! I appreciate that you take the time to do restaurant reviews (and you don't put up with bad service).

Airics, is the BJ's that you refer to a BJ's Roadhouse, one of the chain of kinda-sports bars? If so, I've eaten there outside of LV and would recommend their white artichoke pizza. Ummm. It IS expensive, but it's very filling, so unless you're a football player or recently released convict, you'll probably have food to take home.

Lisdol, what is CSN? I'm old, so I thought it stood for Crosby, Stills and Nash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 05:31 PM

7,676 posts, read 11,284,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
MadMan, thanks for the info! I appreciate that you take the time to do restaurant reviews (and you don't put up with bad service). <snip>

Lisdol, what is CSN? I'm old, so I thought it stood for Crosby, Stills and Nash.
Thanks, Jukesgrrl. BTW, I believe that CSN refers to the College of Southern Nevada.

Speaking of CSN (the musicians, not the school), my wife and I saw them in June at the Hard Rock Hotel. They're still as great as ever. The only disappointing aspect was that they didn't perform Suite: Judy Blue Eyes which is one of my wife's favorite songs. But still a great night and a great venue.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:35 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,438,161 times
Yes its College of Southern Nevada. I did my undergrad at UNM in Albuquerque and usually the people working in the admin offices were grouchy. Customer service was alive and well at the CSN West Charleston campus last week though.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:20 PM

12,686 posts, read 30,982,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
After spending the afternoon in Aliante, my wife and I decided to stop at Grimaldi's in Boca Park on the way home. We walked in the front door and were immediately greeted by two personable hostesses, one of whom showed us to our table and told us that our waitress would be right with us.

While waiting for the waitress, we reviewed the drink menu and made our selections so we would be ready when the waitress came over. Looking around the restaurant, I saw that it was pretty empty with one waitress taking care of a couple of tables, but since she made no effort to come to our table, I assumed (correctly) that she wasn't responsible for us. With our waitress nowhere in sight to take our drink order, we turned to the pizza menu to determine what we would order once the waitress came by. I decided that I would start with a personal white pizza with garlic as an appetizer and my wife decided on a house salad. For a main course, we decided to order a large pizza with sliced tomatoes and meatballs, figuring that we would have leftovers to take home.

We then put the menus down and my eyes once again searched the restaurant looking for "our" waitress to no avail. Finally, the other waitress, noticing me looking at her, came by our table on the way to the hostess stand and said that she would attempt to find our waitress. At that point, I told her not to bother, got up out of my chair, and my wife and I followed her as we all walked to the front of the restaurant.

I said goodbye to the hostesses, and my wife and I walked a few doors down to Kona Grill and had dinner there. We were greeted immediately, sat down at a table on the patio, and a waitress appeared almost immediately to take our drink orders. We happened to arrive at happy hour and availed ourselves of the half price menu. The food - which included a Margarita pizza - was absolutely delicious. And even though the bar and patio area was packed, our service was impeccable.

So although the title of this thread is a bit of a misnomer, we will definitely be making numerous return trips to Kona Grill.

I can't say the same for Grimaldi's.
Although the food at Kona Grill is really good, and I highly recommend it, you didn't do yourself any favors by walking out of Grimaldi's. I wouldn't defend them for ignoring you, but I have noticed that when restaurants aren't busy, service is like that for some reason. Probably the hostess didn't tell the waiter you were there.

But we have never had reason to complain about service at Grimaldi's. They are usually very friendly and helpful; sometimes to the point of getting on my nerves ...I just wanna eat, not critique the food with the server.

On our first time there we weren't sure what to order. The waiter warned us that one small pizza, and one small salad was more than enough to share. In fact I think we still took some home. Usually now we order a small salad to share and a large pizza knowing we'll get two or three meals out of it.

As far as the pizza, from our experiences with Italian food, we think we know good pizza, and Grimaldi's is probably the best in town. Throw in a Blue Moon beer and you couldn't ask for more.

I just wish we could get past always craving the white pizza, so we could try something else for a change.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
MadMan, thanks for the info! I appreciate that you take the time to do restaurant reviews (and you don't put up with bad service).

Airics, is the BJ's that you refer to a BJ's Roadhouse, one of the chain of kinda-sports bars? If so, I've eaten there outside of LV and would recommend their white artichoke pizza. Ummm. It IS expensive, but it's very filling, so unless you're a football player or recently released convict, you'll probably have food to take home.

Dude(ess)...if it's got things like artichokes or pineapples on it, it ain't pizza.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Yes its College of Southern Nevada. I did my undergrad at UNM in Albuquerque and usually the people working in the admin offices were grouchy. Customer service was alive and well at the CSN West Charleston campus last week though.
It may be too late now, but if you crave green chilis, Albertsons in Henderson brings in truckloads and roasts them in the parking lot. I saw some at Whole (paycheck) Foods the other day too.

And in case you didn't know already, the only NM style restaurants we have are three Garduño's. They are in the two Fiestas, and the Palms. I think they tone it down since people around here aren't used to anything but bland, but the carne adovado is sometimes pretty hot.

We do have some good Mexican restaurants, finally. Frank and Fina's Cocina, and three or four Lindo Michoacans. I know there are probably some pretty authentic Mexican restaurants on the east side of town now, but I haven't hung out over there in several years now.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:16 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,753,434 times
Yes the BJ's that's being written about is a sports bar type of place and part of a chain out of California. I just had a person at the pool today highly recommend it. Last evening, I was forced to eat out because my dog that I profess to love so much jumped up on the counter and ate the Whole Foods prime steak I was defrosting for myself. To spite him, since he hates me to go away and leave him, I took myself over to Gina's Bistro. I was not as impressed as I expected to be. Bowtie pasta with mushrooms in a cream sauce wasn't anymore impressive than what I could make in my own kitchen for 1/3rd the cost. Also recommended to me today was the Deli Den. Anyone familiar with that?

Old 08-27-2010, 08:55 PM

848 posts, read 1,466,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
To spite him, since he hates me to go away and leave him, I took myself over to Gina's Bistro. I was not as impressed as I expected to be. Bowtie pasta with mushrooms in a cream sauce wasn't anymore impressive than what I could make in my own kitchen for 1/3rd the cost.
I like Gina's Bistro, you can also check Rachel's Kitchen and Chiante Cafe both in Summerlin for pasta dishes.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiker1o View Post
I like Gina's Bistro, you can also check Rachel's Kitchen and Chiante Cafe both in Summerlin for pasta dishes.
Gina's is the best Italian food in Las Vegas, and Gina is the best looking Italian in Las Vegas. But I'm pretty sure they don't have pizza. It's more upscale leaning toward gourmet.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:28 AM

7,676 posts, read 11,284,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
... I took myself over to Gina's Bistro. I was not as impressed as I expected to be. Bowtie pasta with mushrooms in a cream sauce wasn't anymore impressive than what I could make in my own kitchen for 1/3rd the cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiker1o View Post
I like Gina's Bistro....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Gina's is the best Italian food in Las Vegas....
One day when I was playing poker at the Wynn, I mentioned that I was in the mood for some Italian food and asked about the Italian restaurants located there. One of the locals at the table asked if I had a car and when I answered yes, he told me to go to Gina's and said it was the best Italian restaurant in Vegas. I never made it there that night (and still haven't), but I definitely need to check it out - especially since it is so close to where I live.

On a related matter, I find it interesting that there always seems to be a mix of views on this place (as evidenced above). Every site I've been to has people who rave about it and others who hate it (yelp, urban spoon, eating Las Vegas, etc.) Here's an example from EatingLV:

Eating Las Vegas | A Tale of Two Italians

Note the comments following the mini review as well.

My wife and I already have dinner plans for tonight, but I think that we'll drop by Gina's tomorrow or soon after to check it out for ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas