U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 12:45 PM

803 posts, read 550,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonZimmer View Post
Um, yeah. There's no SARCASM emo....

-von
Aww, poor Von.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 12:58 PM

23 posts, read 6,870 times
Huh??

Surely you get that my original response was intended as HUMOR??

I live here (part time) and am WELL AWARE that it's extremely windy throughout the valley!!

For that matter, I usually tell folks if it's not strapped down you'll lose it. Especially tables, table tops, umbrellas, etc.

The OP asked such a basic question about Vegas - he claims to be considering moving here yet hasn't visited any one of dozens of current or historical weather related sites.

Hence my reply "it's like asking someone in Seattle if it rains".

Both replies should be "well, DUH!"

Let's chalk it up to the difference between the spoken word vs the written word.

-von

Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
Aww, poor Von.

Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM

3 posts, read 95 times
Default Henderson

I have a Print Shop in Henderson and what I enjoy about Henderson is that the residents have a sense of community and go out of their way to support local businesses.

Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM

4,605 posts, read 5,506,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygirl4 View Post
I love it. Just bought a home on the border of GV and Henderson a year ago. Used to live on the SW side of town. Seems to be more trees, shrubs, greenery if you will on this side in parts. Lots of develop going on, and quiet in my neighborhood. Yes, part of Henderson is over the flight path of the airport, but it's not something I lose sleep over. All of life's essentials are within close proximity and there are a variety of different places to choose from. IE: Grocery stores, pharmacies (walgreens, cvs, etc), restaurants, shopping centers. I love it! I definitely notice it's breezier on this side of town though, as I haven't been out biking as much as I used to on the other side of town. Travel time from my home to Craig/95 to get to my hair salon is about 25 min on the weekend, to South Las Vegas near the M Resort - about 15-20 minutes via 215 west and getting off at st. rose pkwy, to NLV Craig Road/15 - 25 minutes, to Lake Las Vegas about 20 minutes (mostly due to the construction on Lake Mead Pkwy). Easily accessible area though.
After I grow out of my first home, will probably live around GVR area or Horizon Ridge. Love the houses in that area.
That's also where we are going for, the Horizon Ridge area and Green Valley as a whole. I was impressed with how green it was almost everywhere, which is nice to see. I really loved the whole area, there is tons of retail and amenities, which is what I demand out of an area. I want 10-20 restaurants within 5 minutes of my house, otherwise it's too far away from civilization if you ask me. That's exactly what I saw in Henderson, no shortage of places to eat. The neighborhoods we were looking at were all very nice, upscale, well kept. As with anything you get what you pay for, there are areas that weren't bad but I wasn't a fan of -- basically the cookie cutter homes not far off intersections where it seemed like there's for some reason a CVS at literally every second light. I'm not sure what that city's obsession with CVS is, I think one per city is more than enough, but I felt like there are 27 of them in Henderson. You'd think it was McDonalds. :P

The "windy" thing always cracks me up. Where did you grow up exactly? The average wind in Las Vegas is barely above the average metro area and well below many cities like Chicago. It's maybe 10% above the wind of the top 30 metro areas. I've looked at all of the charts, and more than that, I've been to Vegas 20 times, I can only conclude that some people are incredibly sensitive to the slightest breeze. I don't think I'll ever get that. I guess it's like how I can't sleep unless it's completely dark and completely quiet, but other people can sleep through a hurricane. I am not sensitive to wind whatsoever. Every time it has been what you describe as "windy," I didn't find it anything worth mentioning or commenting upon. Where I grew up, windy is combined with massive amounts of rain that blows into your face. That is the kind of wind that annoys me. A bit of wind when it's sunny out never hurt anyone, seriously, it's just not worth bringing up as an issue. I can't believe what babies some people are about it in Vegas. Check the facts, it's not that windy at all.

Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM

803 posts, read 550,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I've been to Vegas 20 times, I can only conclude that some people are incredibly sensitive to the slightest breeze. I don't think I'll ever get that. I can't believe what babies some people are about it in Vegas. Check the facts, it's not that windy at all.
Misinformed again, JLB. A local's credibility is more than someone not living here. So check your facts. Or keep spouting off made up conclusions...that works too.

Last edited by chahunt; Yesterday at 08:47 PM..

Old Today, 09:17 AM

572 posts, read 209,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
Misinformed again, JLB. A local's credibility is more than someone not living here. So check your facts. Or keep spouting off made up conclusions...that works too.
Vegas has a windy season in the spring then it calms down for the most part with some more windy days in monsoon season.

Old Today, 09:33 AM

5,351 posts, read 4,040,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgste View Post
Does anyone know if the late Tony Curtis lived in Henderson? If not, where in LV.
He lived in Sun City Anthem in their Foothills Village. I drive by his old house every day. Some of our friends knew him; he entertained a lot in the community. His house looks over the Revere Golf Club with a perfect view of the Strip.

Old Today, 09:36 AM

5,351 posts, read 4,040,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2WA View Post
Well we're thinking about living in Henderson for 6 months out of the year and spending the rest in Montana.

We're wondering what the place is like?

We've read lots of good and bad about Las Vegas proper, but have no kids, so some of those issues are not relevant to us anymore.

How's Henderson?

Nice place?

Crime?

Places to eat & shop?
I know two couples who ive in Sun City Anthem and do the snowbird thing with Montana. Nice thing about living in a 55+ community is the neighbors keep an eye out when you are away and you can engage (at no cost) the volunteer community patrol to check your house daily while you are away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas