U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 08:22 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,484,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucette View Post
My company has offered me a position at a restaurant in North Vegas. I am currently in So Cal and am not eagar to move. What is it like living in Vegas? Where would be a good place to rent?
Feels and looks like inland So CA. I believe it is actually the most eastern suburb of LA.

Has a few local customs...claims to hate Californians...but then more of us are ex Californians then there are natives. No income tax. Cheap government...good when you are paying bad when you are taking.

Gets hot in the summer....get to like it after a while. Gets a little cool in January.

Tons of places to live in or west of NLV. Just head west a little bit and you will like it fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 09:04 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,752,266 times
Okay, I just moved here 3 weeks ago from the midwest, have two big dogs and bought in Summerlin. Love it. Knew virtually no one when I arrived, already have a group of people I hang around with. Expected that and that's how it is. Have not found anyone to be snotty. If you are over 50 and looking for rentals, I would suggest looking into either Sun City Summerlin or Anthem. There are quite a few available in both communities although having two big dogs, I know that can be an issue. If you are a great housekeeper and a very responsible tenant, offer to pay a larger deposit or 6 months rent in advance to show your sincerity and the type of person you are. It has worked for me in the past twice when I was having custom homes built and did not want to move before my house was sold.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:34 PM

111 posts, read 189,897 times
JJ that's cool that you've already found people to hang out with. How did you do it in such a short time? I'd appreciate any advice--having trouble meeting folks who like to do things other than gamble. Thanks!

Old 09-01-2010, 09:53 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,752,266 times
The secret is to go where like minded people would be. Are you a biker, swimmer, sunner, card player, jock, intellect? If so, hang around where those people congregate.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:09 AM

3,184 posts, read 2,122,058 times
Default Meeting people

Magnoliablossom:

55+ communities have the advantage of having clubhouses where you can meet people who have similar interests. I've met lots of people through the ceramics and card clubs at Sun City Anthem and am now volunteering at our local hospital. I knew that I'd have to actively seek out new friends when I moved to Henderson, and these activities have quickly helped me feel at home. Hope this helps.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:32 PM

6 posts, read 10,771 times
For info on crime in the area, this is a great site: http://www.lvmpd.com/crimeviewcommunity/wizard.asp

Old 09-03-2010, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,013 times
You may just want to contact a Realtor, or go on Realtor.com or zillow.com. Ask a lot of questions. There are some great areas, but some have HOA's that think they are improving property values bt instead chasing people away...and lowering values with their wanna be police-Barney Fife security guards couple of areas that have terrible HOA's are Southern Highlands and Rhodes Ranch. Summerlin can be as bad! Maybe look in Henderson?

Just a note to the posters on these boards, why the hate and venom? Strange how rude and crabby people are here in Vegas. Maybe THEY need to move back to whereevr they came from.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:48 PM

1,808 posts, read 3,266,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Newton-Tyson View Post
You may just want to contact a Realtor, or go on Realtor.com or zillow.com. Ask a lot of questions. There are some great areas, but some have HOA's that think they are improving property values bt instead chasing people away...and lowering values with their wanna be police-Barney Fife security guards couple of areas that have terrible HOA's are Southern Highlands and Rhodes Ranch. Summerlin can be as bad! Maybe look in Henderson?

Just a note to the posters on these boards, why the hate and venom? Strange how rude and crabby people are here in Vegas. Maybe THEY need to move back to whereevr they came from.
Nice first post.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:44 PM

7,673 posts, read 11,278,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Newton-Tyson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
Nice first post.
LOL, bledsoe. I was thinking the same thing.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:46 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,759,682 times
add another vote to that makes me wonder what part of Fort Wayne he lives in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or