U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 06:41 PM

12,686 posts, read 30,969,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
wish it woulda done mine...I'm getting tired of the same ol spots for 5 years.
You could park next to the lawn sprinklers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 06:48 PM

12,686 posts, read 30,969,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
Yesterday was very disappointing after starting out looking like some pretty formidable thunderheads moving in (they came from all mountains, but over the Spring Mtns was looking really good for my area near Centennial Hills/Sun City).

Particularly with what those low pressure systems do to my sinuses, I like to at least get enough rain to settle the dust. In that sense, I've been jonesing for my prior climate of Northern New Mexico all summer. I guess I'm now enough of a Vegas local to celebrate getting rained on, but still enough of a Vegas newbie to actually expect the clouds to put out for more than five minutes.
I've been missing the NM weather for several years too.

My Dad used to say that he could tell that it was going to rain because his bones would ache. I had humidity headaches just about everyday of my life in West by god Virginia. The day I got here they went away ...until recently. I don't get bad headaches, but my nose knows when we get a little rise. It's nothing like the 100% days we had on our vacation though. Shouldn't a person be drowning in 100% humidity? I mean, isn't that like being under water?

Old 08-28-2010, 12:33 AM

2,038 posts, read 3,648,894 times
We had a nice mini rain this evening. This monsoon season has blown chunks.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:36 AM

5,737 posts, read 12,034,261 times
Personally I prefer if it not rain. And if it does...I prefer that it be at a time when I do not have to be out driving. Being from a state that recieves rain on a daily basis, I dont miss the rain one bit

It actually makes me a bit homesick....seeing stormy darkness on one end of the sky and bright sunshine on the other, Orlando is like that in the summer with its scattered thunderstorms

Old 08-28-2010, 09:44 AM

15,371 posts, read 33,759,682 times
plus in Fla, the rain washes th eoil off the streets regularily...here it might build up for 3-4 YEARS before it gets hosed down....BOY is it slick for firts few minutes of a light rain

Old 08-28-2010, 11:20 AM

5,737 posts, read 12,034,261 times
Rain anywhere is inevitable dynimage, I've already said before my car has poor traction on wet roads. I had trouble driving on FL's wet roads which like you said get cleaned on a regular basis

If it rains here, Im just not going to drive, and if I absolutely HAVE to, I wont hit the freeways. People in this town are too trigger happy with their brake pedals, and in the slick conditions that may occur here, I'd probably rear end somebody again

Last edited by DavieJ89; 08-28-2010 at 11:28 AM..

Old 08-28-2010, 03:20 PM

9,751 posts, read 21,603,122 times
Here's one for you Davie. I remember once a huge downpour, in the fall, and was approaching the intersection of W.Sahara/Ft.Apache and a car in the left turn lane going north and turning west went through too fast for wet conditions. His SUV came flying through the light, hit that dip too fast and hard, spun around in a few circles before he could control it, and finally got it right again and continued on his way. Everyone at the light just watched in awe and didn't go until it was over. It almost seemed like it was all slow motion. I thought for sure he would hit the median, bounce off that and hit a light pole or something, maybe flip, but he didn't.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:44 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,575,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I've been missing the NM weather for several years too.

My Dad used to say that he could tell that it was going to rain because his bones would ache. I had humidity headaches just about everyday of my life in West by god Virginia. The day I got here they went away ...until recently. I don't get bad headaches, but my nose knows when we get a little rise. It's nothing like the 100% days we had on our vacation though. Shouldn't a person be drowning in 100% humidity? I mean, isn't that like being under water?
That's what I would've figured about 100% humidity. And I'm sure you noticed there were a couple humid spurts here recently, relatively speaking. Reminds me of last year (or two years ago?) when Hurricane Ike hurled a bunch of tropical storm from Texas to New Mexico. Ruidoso flooded and a big blanket of fog just rolled over Sandia into the desert. When I walked out my door that next morning, I could've sworn I was in Austin.

Talking about feeling the weather, one thing is a rough adjustment for me. After all the mountainous places I've lived it sure isn't any fun being on the second floor in a large, remote room and trying to sleep with the thermostat on 78.

Oh well, open window season is on its way soon enough, and even this coming week is going to give us a break on the 80+ nights.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:45 PM

33 posts, read 81,840 times
I was in Vegas about two weeks ago, on vacation from Orlando. It was my first time seeing rain in Vegas. I was actually super excited, felt like I was lucky to finally be in town on a day when it got a light sprinkle.

Like others have said, definately a HUGE difference from Florida.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:18 AM

2,509 posts, read 3,734,935 times
Light sprinkles last night around tropicana and pecos. Great cool weather tonight. According to the "Weather man" it's going to cool down even more soon. Maybe even up to 20 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas