U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 11:04 PM

159 posts, read 313,158 times

Advertisements

My realtor was in the center lane when she realized she wanted to turn right so she switched on her turn signal and kindly motioned for the car next to her to let her in. All lanes had the red but a motorcycle cop pulled up next to her and basically told her to forget about it.

In all my years of driving I've never seen a cop get so huffy and puffy about someone trying to cut over to the right when everyone's at a dead stop. I've been doing it for years. Hell, everyone does it. Is this not legal in Nevada? Or was the cop just being a nitpicky, overbearing jerk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 11:14 PM

52 posts, read 75,547 times
he sounds like he was nitpicky, a jerk I don't know
btw, I kindly disagree with the generalization "Hell, everyone does it"

drive safely...

Old 08-27-2010, 12:26 AM

2,038 posts, read 3,652,738 times
If everyone in Vegas behind the wheel planned their route a little better and quit driving with a sense of entitlement, like your realtor, the roads would be a little easier to navigate.

Now was the cop a jerk or your realtor, thinking the entire lane of traffic, which i assume had stopped and was a few cars deep, should let her through? Road rage ensues from that type of move. I think the cop was just doing his job. I think your realtor was being inconsiderate. It's not that hard to turn around past a light.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:38 AM

159 posts, read 313,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
If everyone in Vegas behind the wheel planned their route a little better and quit driving with a sense of entitlement, like your realtor, the roads would be a little easier to navigate.

Now was the cop a jerk or your realtor, thinking the entire lane of traffic, which i assume had stopped and was a few cars deep, should let her through? Road rage ensues from that type of move. I think the cop was just doing his job. I think your realtor was being inconsiderate. It's not that hard to turn around past a light.
She wasn't the most attentive driver but she was answering my questions and trying to navigate toward unknown destinations at the same time.

I have always let someone in who missed their turn. I don't see why it's a problem. In fact, I think it's a jerk move to not let someone in when they need to get over and we're all twiddling our thumbs at a red light. Why would road rage ensue when the person who is allowing you in gave you the thumbs up to go ahead?

Now, if you ask me about people getting off on the wrong highway exit and then pulling back over thus cutting you off as you're speeding down the far right lane, then yes. I have a real issue with that. That's just freaking dangerous. But cars at a standstill waiting for the light? It's a non issue.

So, to answer your question, yes. The cop was a jerk for being nitpicky.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:06 AM
Status: "Invisible cats keep you up at night" (set 6 days ago)

9,763 posts, read 21,628,504 times
Actually, since she was in the center lane, she should have just gone straight, gotten into the left lane and turned left or made a u-turn and then went back to where she needed to go. The cop would never have bothered her then.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:07 AM

7,681 posts, read 11,298,826 times
I'm not sure that I have a clear understanding of the situation. Are you saying that your realtor was the first car in line at a red light and motioned over to the driver in the right lane to wait so that she could turn right from the center lane? Or was your car a few cars back from the intersection and your realtor simply wanted to get in front of the car in the right lane so that she could eventually turn right from the right lane once she reached the intersection?

If it is the former, then of course it is illegal. If it is the latter, then the cop was being a jerk.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:52 AM

3,622 posts, read 4,698,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post

Bravo to the cop. He was considering everyone with that decision. I find it highly annoying when people try to move across lanes like that. Why not go down to the next light and backtrack? I also detest people who see a sign that indicates a lane is running out and instead of getting over they almost go to the point there is no lane to get ahead of people who have already merged over.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:54 AM

3,622 posts, read 4,698,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidnomad View Post
She wasn't the most attentive driver but she was answering my questions and trying to navigate toward unknown destinations at the same time.

I have always let someone in who missed their turn...The cop was a jerk for being nitpicky.
I do try and let someone in if I can. However, imo, the cop was not being a jerk at all. It sometimes can be dangerous to try and get over, especially if you end up stuck in two lanes.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:25 AM

3,422 posts, read 9,446,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I'm not sure that I have a clear understanding of the situation. Are you saying that your realtor was the first car in line at a red light and motioned over to the driver in the right lane to wait so that she could turn right from the center lane? Or was your car a few cars back from the intersection and your realtor simply wanted to get in front of the car in the right lane so that she could eventually turn right from the right lane once she reached the intersection?

If it is the former, then of course it is illegal. If it is the latter, then the cop was being a jerk.
The red italicized is what I thought when I read the question and I could not see why everyone would be getting so upset about a car moving over one lane from the center to get into the right lane.

Now if the actual situation is she was up at the light and wanted to hold up traffic by cutting over, well then, yeah, she missed her opportunity and should get over to the left when the light turns green and turn around at the next opportunity.

((I'm new in town and I am still trying to find my way around, figure out whether the on ramps are on the right or left side, which lanes disappear, become exit only, etc... so I'd like to remind some people that it is not always a sense of entitlement when someone throws on their blinker and tries to get over, sometimes it is the first time they have taken the route and something has taken them by surprise. Google maps do not show everything. ))

So which one was it? At the light, or back several cars before the intersection?

Old 08-27-2010, 10:33 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,731,921 times
I was in traffic school one time (don't ask why) and was told that lane changes within 100 feet of an intersection were illegal. So the cop was right. In fact, he was doing your realtor a favor by not allowing her to do the lane change and then pulling her over and giving her a ticket. The guy teaching the class said that you can judge 100 feet by looking at the light poles--they are approximately 100 feet apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas