Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 02:15 PM

542 posts, read 986,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Learn as many programming languages as you can, and definately learn at least a little C and Assembly if you want to get any serious programming jobs. Degrees are almost useless, the one person we had here with a masters got fired for being an idiot. Had a big ego to go with the degree but didn't have the skills to back it up. I've been programming for decades without any degree, got started by writing freeware/shareware and built up a reputation/skills and a resume of real world applications. However be prepared to have no life for a while, it takes a lot of time to gain the skills you need..
What kind of $$ do programmers make?

I'm just getting started with small electrical stuff (I've been a weldor/designer/fabricator my whole life). I picked up an Arduino board, and some sensors to build a data logger for my car. To finish it, I'm needing to program the Arduino board, so I'm teaching myself C++

I was hoping to go to UNLV this coming fall, for mechanical engineering..... but perhaps there is some money to be made programming/designing while I'm in school, or before school starts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 02:25 PM

204 posts, read 388,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Learn as many programming languages as you can, and definately learn at least a little C and Assembly if you want to get any serious programming jobs. Degrees are almost useless, the one person we had here with a masters got fired for being an idiot. Had a big ego to go with the degree but didn't have the skills to back it up. I've been programming for decades without any degree, got started by writing freeware/shareware and built up a reputation/skills and a resume of real world applications. However be prepared to have no life for a while, it takes a lot of time to gain the skills you need..
I agree about learning as many languages as you can. It will allow you to best choose the right tool for the job. I strongly disagree about degrees being useless. If you don't have a degree at a minimum you are going to make less than the guy who does, at least initially. Second, many places won't even consider interviewing you without a degree.
Learning a little C and assembly is fine if you think you are going to be working on systems that run close to the metal or are interested in academic learning. However, if you want to work on websites and line of business type applications these are almost entirely written in a .net language such as c# or technologies from the LAMP stack. All of the sweat and tears you spend learning pointer arithmetic, memory management techniques, data structures etc will mostly be wasted effort. Learning those topics will make a better rounded developer but it's just not required when you are using managed languages.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:29 PM

204 posts, read 388,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m73m95 View Post
What kind of $$ do programmers make?
I have a CS degree and about 12 years experience and my salary is 85k.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:58 PM

843 posts, read 2,216,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaq View Post
I agree about learning as many languages as you can. It will allow you to best choose the right tool for the job. I strongly disagree about degrees being useless. If you don't have a degree at a minimum you are going to make less than the guy who does, at least initially. Second, many places won't even consider interviewing you without a degree.
Learning a little C and assembly is fine if you think you are going to be working on systems that run close to the metal or are interested in academic learning. However, if you want to work on websites and line of business type applications these are almost entirely written in a .net language such as c# or technologies from the LAMP stack. All of the sweat and tears you spend learning pointer arithmetic, memory management techniques, data structures etc will mostly be wasted effort. Learning those topics will make a better rounded developer but it's just not required when you are using managed languages.
Until you experience a problem that requires these skills. Sure a degree may help get your foot in the door *if you have nothing else*. However it will not help as much as having a proven track record, and you will not make more money than someone with a solid reputation in the field even if that other person has no degree. If you don't learn some low level languages in addition to high level you'll simply limit your job options.

I suppose if you want to 'program' using black boxes you don't understand, the world needs people to do the boring stuff. If you want to truly understand what's going on under the hood you need to be ready to dig in and learn.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:18 AM

65 posts, read 85,505 times
we dont need computers. we have xbox

Old 05-14-2012, 11:05 AM

15,843 posts, read 14,476,031 times
If you're going to do something C like, go with Objective C and learn IOS programming (Iphone/Ipad.) Write an app and get it out on Apple's App Store. Pretty much guaranteed employment.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:11 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaq View Post
I agree - especially for local jobs. The demand is in web programming & database programming.

Now, if you want to work at Intel Corp as an application engineer, that's another matter, but those jobs are not here in Las Vegas for the most part.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:16 PM

15,843 posts, read 14,476,031 times
The web itself is being superceded as a deployment platform by mobile apps. People are reluctant to pay for web content, but will be more likely to accept paying for an app. So may companies are concentrating their efforts on those platforms.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:28 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
HL7 is huge right now. Everyone is trying to get connected in the medical community to avoid the penalty phase of the "meaningful use" legislation. Lots of opportunity there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas