Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 08:04 AM

11,169 posts, read 15,964,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
Stop whining. 20 students in a classroom isn't overcrowding.

Unbelievable how whiney Americans are becoming. It isn't all about you and your brat of a rugrat.
You may want to read the OP again. She's not complaining about the size of her daughter's class; she's complaining about the overall overcrowding in the school. In fact, she specifically points out that the fact that her daughter's class only has 20 students makes up for her overall annoyance with the school.

If you want to criticize Americans for being whiny, at least learn how to read first so that you understand what they're complaining about.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:08 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,446,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I didn't realize 20 was considered 'super duper crowded'.

I grew up in Michigan - a state known for having good education, and having attended about 6-7 of them (my father moved around a lot), I never experienced anything less than 30.
You obviously aren't aware of today's ABC's....

“A” is for Autism…why Johnny can’t sit in his seat.
“B” is for Bad-parenting…see letter “A”.
“C” is for Cursing…children always repeat what they hear at home.
“D” is for Discipline…a part of proper child-rearing…that is no longer practiced.
“E” is for Education…the secondary reason for schooling…after baby-sitting.
...and so on.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:16 AM

11,169 posts, read 15,964,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post

This "joke" may have gone over better if you used ADHD.

Autism really isn't a laughing matter.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:23 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,077,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post

“B” is for Bad-parenting…see letter “A”.
“C” is for Cursing…children always repeat what they hear at home.
“D” is for Discipline…a part of proper child-rearing…that is no longer practiced.
“E” is for Education…the secondary reason for schooling…after baby-sitting.
...and so on.
I agree with the ABCDE

But I really think this thread has LITTLE to do with Las Vegas being worse than everywhere else...and REALLY about Education in the U.S. in general is just bad, bad, and bad.

I also think..
A - Autism/ADHD (maybe we'll use the latter - see above poster) - what's up with that and America anyways? I think some studies point to the fact that diets of excessively processed foods, and manufactured sugar garbage are the main, if not the only staples of many Americans today which are creating this new thing.

B - Bad Parenting - We live in a society where familys MUST have two incomes to survive...then when not working, we have a TV society and a 'my toys' society which contribute to kids being in their own kid peer culture group for dominant influences.

D - same as above.

E - I agree that Education has become a baby-sitting service...mostly because of the B, D again. Someone has to watch the kids while parents work their hearts out, so they can do their 'things' on weekends...golfing or whatever they do.

Our society with intense zoning...and everything funneled into working for corporations, etc. doesn't help either. It's illegal to have a home and business being side by side on the same properties most of the time...the parents are generally required to drive to some business-oriented districts...compete with traffic, and generally be out of the house another couple hours for commute times in addition to the work hours, etc.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
This "joke" may have gone over better if you used ADHD.

Autism really isn't a laughing matter.
I thought so, too. But autism is the new 'fashionable' replacement disease for ADHD. I'm not talking plate-spinning, total withdrawal autism...but rather what yesterday's ADHD-leaning parents are calling autism spectrum????

Look for the cute puzzle-ribbon-magnets on the back of the soccer-mom's SUV's.

I guess calling it "autism" gives it some medical validity...over ADHD.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:32 AM

PS....no joke.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:42 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,127,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You may want to read the OP again. She's not complaining about the size of her daughter's class; she's complaining about the overall overcrowding in the school. In fact, she specifically points out that the fact that her daughter's class only has 20 students makes up for her overall annoyance with the school.

If you want to criticize Americans for being whiny, at least learn how to read first so that you understand what they're complaining about.
I still don't buy it. It is rather easy to tell if you are going into an overcrowded school. Just check out the achievement report and compare to others.

One of the bigger reasons for overcrowding is that parents resist rezoning from the better schools. So the propensity is for the better to get overcrowded. But there are a lot of good schools without overcrowding...particularly after the last couple of years of bad economy.

There is some structural overcrowding...Palo Verde is overloaded and CCSD can't fix it because they are unwiling to try and acquire a school site in southern Summerlin...too difficult and expensive. So they let it fester and talk about trying to acquire a site to the north where land is cheap..

Note that the crucial factor is, and always has been the quality of the teacher in the classroom. Worth checking out.

There were 60 kids in my 7th and 8th grade classes.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:03 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,584,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Note that the crucial factor is, and always has been the quality of the teacher in the classroom. Worth checking out.

There were 60 kids in my 7th and 8th grade classes.
I think the quality of the teacher is important but only IF they have a class where all the kids are motivated and interested in learning. If they spend the majority of their time getting after kids, or trying to bring up the class just to grade level; their qualifications take a back seat.

The best way to see this in action is to observe the magnet programs which not only have the best teachers, but also have the cream of the crop- high test scores, top grades, and citizenship. My son often has 40 kids in his class and that really is not the issue because they are all teachable, highly motivated, and are on the same level academically.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:10 PM

901 posts, read 1,894,870 times
I believe 20 is about the standard class size through 3rd grade. Class sizes increase to about 35 starting in 4th grade.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:29 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,584,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
I believe 20 is about the standard class size through 3rd grade. Class sizes increase to about 35 starting in 4th grade.
Kindergarten is high (I have seen as high as 30) and then they drop the class size, like you said in 1st and 2nd, because academically the curriculum goes up and they are building basic skills such as reading and math.

Personally, I wish kids had the option to skip Kindergarten if they had two years of pre-school. It is a complete waste. My kids all entered Kindergarten as proficient readers and they had to go back to learning letter sounds...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas