Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:34 AM

901 posts, read 1,898,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobito01 View Post
Parents are the kids primary teachers, teachers can only do so much, parents have to get their kids involved and encourage them to be well rounded. Discipline really plays a big part.
So true, success starts at home. Your children can have the best teacher in the world or send them to the best schools money can buy, but they are doomed for failure if the parents are not involved in their education on a daily basis. Likewise, kids can still receive a good education at a "bad" school if their parents are involved in their lives.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:39 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,847,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
Maybe it's time to look at who sits on the school board, who runs the teachers union and who they are in bed with. I am curious, as a percentage, of the people who have valid complaints have either:

A. Attended a school board meeting.
B. Made an informed decision at the ballot of who gets to sit on the maligned board of the CCSD.
C. Not made an effort to attend an open house.
D. Joined the PTA.
E. Made time for learning outside of school.

If you haven't, maybe this thread will inspire you to do so. I hope it does.

I see first hand how little involvement there is in this town and that is a big part of it.

Teachers can't strike. Parents can.
Excellent post. I would also like to point out that for those with complaints about the school system there are other options. For example, my son is enrolled in NV Virtual Academy this year, an online public school. Granted, it's only the third day of school but thus far I couldn't be happier with the program. I enjoy the fact that my wife and I are contributing directly as teacher/proctors and that he can experience actual personal attention and in depth discussion. He is not bound by time limits, classrooms or slower learners so he can realize his potential. For anyone else that is interested in homeschooling, check the website. The social skills argument is moot due to NVVA community interaction and extracurricular activities (youth sports or martial arts can count as PE credits, etc.). My son plays hockey and interacts with children as young as 4 all the way to adults, and does so without the so called social retardation that many swear is the only thing to come out of homeschooling (without any firsthand experience of course).

They are still enrolling if anyone is interested.

Nevada Virtual Academy - We Ignite your Child's Mind | Nevada Virtual Academy

Old 09-01-2010, 09:50 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
So true, success starts at home. Your children can have the best teacher in the world or send them to the best schools money can buy, but they are doomed for failure if the parents are not involved in their education on a daily basis. Likewise, kids can still receive a good education at a "bad" school if their parents are involved in their lives.
The LA times articles indicate that is not true. A skilled professional teacher can do well even with poor home conditions. The only problem is we don't know how to tell which teacher is skilled and professional.

I would agree the virtual approaches are most interesting. But how do you decide if they work or not? So your kid does fine...is that good or is it an underachievement for your particular kid?

I personally was bored all through grade school and high school. Never had a challenging class until college. I did fine...but as well as I might have? I doubt it.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:28 AM

901 posts, read 1,898,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
For example, my son is enrolled in NV Virtual Academy this year, an online public school. Granted, it's only the third day of school but thus far I couldn't be happier with the program. I enjoy the fact that my wife and I are contributing directly as teacher/proctors and that he can experience actual personal attention and in depth discussion.
Very interesting. Just curious... how old is your son?

I like the homeschooling concept, but the thing that scares me off is that there is a big difference between knowing math/history/whatever and helping them learn it in a way they understand, especially at the lower grade levels.

mod interpose: since more than one has disregarded the previous interpose, please continue this conversation in the chat thread, private DMs, the social group, or start a thread in the Education Forum. thread is closed.

Last edited by scirocco22; 09-01-2010 at 12:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas