Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 06:34 PM

40 posts, read 59,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish22 View Post
The Amazing Johnathan@ PH[/url]
I saw him a few years back and was in stitches.
Good stuff there
Only if you want to see the exact same performance that he did for his Comedy Central special a long time ago. I love the guy, but I couldn't believe he hadn't updated his act at all when I saw him last month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 06:53 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
It's not Broadway, but you'll find that productions of various kinds on the Strip are just as entertaining.
Have you forgotten to whom you're responding? I probably spend more time on the Strip and going to shows than anyone else on this board. In fact, tomorrow night my wife and I are going to see Love at 7:00pm and then see Ron White at 10:00. I love the entertainment options in this city; it was one of the main reasons that we chose to retire here. We've also been to a couple of off-strip musical productions at different theaters in Summerlin.

But let's get real. This isn't NY and there is no comparison between the quality of touring companies performing plays and musicals around the country and what you can see on Broadway. It's akin to comparing a 51s game with going to Yankee Stadium. As for your question to me about how often I would go to Broadway and the expense and difficulties in getting there...I really don't know where you're coming from. My wife and I would go up to Manhattan on weekends or she would accompany me on the numerous business trips that I took up there. It was either a 45 minute flight, a three-hour train ride, or a 200 mile drive up straight up I-95. The cost of shows was no more than a Cirque show here or the price of a ticket to a concert. And there was always the option of day-of-show 1/2 price tickets.

With regard to your other point about going to Utah: we fully expect to take in all the art & culture available to us at that venue. However, you may not be aware that Washington, DC is home to the most reknowned Shakesperian company in the country; one that has been compared to the Globe Theater Company in London.

Shakespeare Theatre Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Speaking of London...I've taken my wife to London for a Valentine's Day weekend trip, as well as other weekend trips to Paris and Reykjavik, so going to Manhattan to see a Broadway production or two wasn't exactly something we considered a hassle.

I'm not sure why my post set you off. I wasn't putting down LV in any way. I merely stated that I enjoyed seeing a couple of shows on Broadway. Sheesh.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:27 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Have you forgotten to whom you're responding? I probably spend more time on the Strip and going to shows than anyone else on this board. In fact, tomorrow night my wife and I are going to see Love at 7:00pm and then see Ron White at 10:00. I love the entertainment options in this city; it was one of the main reasons that we chose to retire here. We've also been to a couple of off-strip musical productions at different theaters in Summerlin.

But let's get real. This isn't NY and there is no comparison between the quality of touring companies performing plays and musicals around the country and what you can see on Broadway. It's akin to comparing a 51s game with going to Yankee Stadium. As for your question to me about how often I would go to Broadway and the expense and difficulties in getting there...I really don't know where you're coming from. My wife and I would go up to Manhattan on weekends or she would accompany me on the numerous business trips that I took up there. It was either a 45 minute flight, a three-hour train ride, or a 200 mile drive up straight up I-95. The cost of shows was no more than a Cirque show here or the price of a ticket to a concert. And there was always the option of day-of-show 1/2 price tickets.

With regard to your other point about going to Utah: we fully expect to take in all the art & culture available to us at that venue. However, you may not be aware that Washington, DC is home to the most reknowned Shakesperian company in the country; one that has been compared to the Globe Theater Company in London.

Speaking of London...I've taken my wife to London for a Valentine's Day weekend trip, as well as other weekend trips to Paris and Reykjavik, so going to Manhattan to see a Broadway production or two wasn't exactly something we considered a hassle.

I'm not sure why my post set you off. I wasn't putting down LV in any way. I merely stated that I enjoyed seeing a couple of shows on Broadway. Sheesh.
Huh? WTF are you talking about? I thought I was nicely giving you some options that might make you feel at home. I didn't go off on you, nor was I putting you down. Now I am. You're not the only one in the world that has done any of these things you brag about, or the only one who has been to New York, or Europe. We're not all a bunch of hicks that have never seen a show, or traveled anywhere. Did I forget who I was talking too you ask? Yes, I forgot that you are such a blow hard braggart, or I wouldn't have bothered trying to be nice to you.

Apparently you forgot who YOU are talking to. If you want bragging, in my 46 years in Las Vegas, not to mention the work in other markets since 1959, I've not only seen hundreds of shows, at least half of which I was an invited guest to, I've known the performers, have watched them as their guest from the front row, backstage, the light booth, the control room, and have been introduced from the audience by performers as a producer/director of note.

I have produced and directed TV shows that featured just about anyone who is anyone in the entertainment industry, from Barbie Benton to Gregory Peck, from Mayf Nutter to Bill Cosby, from Frank Sinatra, Jr. to Sammy Davis, Jr. I've even been a pall bearer for a famous movie star who was a one of several personal friends I've had in the entertainment business, and I've sat around the control room shooting the sh** about TV production with the guy who wrote the book on it, Milton Berle, as well as other big stars. I was directing when Marie Osmond made her first TV appearance, and I was directing when Tom Jones lip synced his first song on TV.

He**, I've run into more big stars accidentally out in the real world than I'm sure you've paid to see. And guess what, many of them recognized me. So stop your bragging and just talk why don't you? You're interesting enough without that.

I think I know a little about entertainment, don't you?

Old 09-03-2010, 11:03 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
They may not be the latest Broadway hits (or sometimes they are), but if you really want to see a world class production of a play, you can drive up to Cedar City, UT. It's only 3 hours (150 miles) straight up I-15. And the scenery is a lot better than Manhattan. Cedar City, UT - Official Website - Festivals

Thanks for the tip about Cedar City. I knew nothing about that. I've seen Shakespeare from London to LA and some of the best productions I've experienced were in regional Shakespeare festivals. I once saw a summer theater modern dress production of Antony and Cleopatra that was produced in an un-air-conditioned industrial warehouse in Pittsburgh. For the scene of Mark Antony's triumphant return to Alexandria, the garage doors at one end of building opened and a camouflaged Jeep drove in from the street. A & C were standing up in the back in full guerilla gear, hanging onto the roll bar and waving, with the audience spontaneously joining the actors in cheering wildly. It was as genuinely exciting as a theater event can be. Maybe it was the sweat and the summer weather, maybe it was the creativity and enthusiasm of an unsung, but talented, team -- in any case, it's a forever memory.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:05 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Thanks for the tip about Cedar City. I knew nothing about that. I've seen Shakespeare from London to LA and some of the best productions I've experienced were in regional Shakespeare festivals. I once saw a summer theater modern dress production of Antony and Cleopatra that was produced in an un-air-conditioned industrial warehouse in Pittsburgh. For the scene of Mark Antony's triumphant return to Alexandria, the garage doors at one end of building opened and a camouflaged Jeep drove in from the street. A & C were standing up in the back in full guerrilla gear, hanging onto the roll bar and waving, with the audience spontaneously joining the actors in cheering wildly. It was as genuinely exciting as a theater event can be. Maybe it was the sweat and the summer weather, maybe it was the creativity and enthusiasm of an unsung, but talented, team -- in any case, it's a forever memory.
Believe me, this is one of the best in the country, and the actors are all professionals well known in the theater. I've seen many standing ovations given. I don't do Shakespeare because I only speak English (), but last year was a production called the Complete Works of William Shakespeare, or something like that. It was hilarious. Another outstanding performance we've seen was Cyrano. The theaters on the campus are nice, the town is nice, and the scenery around that area is great. It's been going on for years ─ more than 35yrs I think.

Just for fun, we've taken the Kolob Road over the mountains. Part of it is gravel but it's not bad, and it's one of the most beautiful mountain passes in the country. It passes by Kolob Reservoir, and comes out in Virgin, UT not far from Springdale, and the main entrance to Zion National Park. It actually passes through part of Zion. This is the best time of year with the leaves turning and the cool mountain air.

But if you aren't that adventurous and want some great scenery on all paved roads, stay on Rt. 14 out of Cedar City and go up to Duck Creek Village and Navajo Lake. You could actually loop around and come back through Zion if you didn't want to back track. My daughter has a condo up at Duck Creek Village, and they do a lot of trout fishing around there. There are antelopes, elk, and turkeys, and a whole lot of deer. Bears too.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:11 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,196 times
Quote:

Not that I have any problem with the fact that you have done well for yourself madman but the way in which you convey your adventures has a definitive elitist tone to it. It's pretty easy to rub people the wrong way in that sense.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:07 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Not that I have any problem with the fact that you have done well for yourself madman but the way in which you convey your adventures has a definitive elitist tone to it. It's pretty easy to rub people the wrong way in that sense.
In re-reading my posts, I can see how I can come across that way. Especially in my response to Buzz about going to London or Paris for the weekend. I was trying to make a point about how easy it was to get to Broadway for a weekend in comparison (since he said getting there was a pain, crowded, no parking, etc.), but it came off as a brag about my other travels. I certainly didn't mean it as such.

However, I'm not going to apologize for thoroughly enjoying my retirement and taking advantage of all that Las Vegas has to offer. But if I'm rubbing people the wrong way when posting about my various excursions around the city, there is certainly no point in relaying those experiences. Consequently, I shall refrain from doing so from now on.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:18 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
A show to avoid: Cirque du Soleil - Viva ELVIS I can't believe Cirque keeps it going, really bad.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:50 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,906,913 times
Default LV experiences

Don't stop MMoB! I'm enjoying your posts.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:05 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,196 times
Quote:
In re-reading my posts, I can see how I can come across that way. Especially in my response to Buzz about going to London or Paris for the weekend. I was trying to make a point about how easy it was to get to Broadway for a weekend in comparison (since he said getting there was a pain, crowded, no parking, etc.), but it came off as a brag about my other travels. I certainly didn't mean it as such.

However, I'm not going to apologize for thoroughly enjoying my retirement and taking advantage of all that Las Vegas has to offer. But if I'm rubbing people the wrong way when posting about my various excursions around the city, there is certainly no point in relaying those experiences. Consequently, I shall refrain from doing so from now on.

You shouldn't have to apologize for enjoying it. Feel free to continue to let us know what is interesting around the city. My aim was not to censor you or stop you from posting. Only to let you know what may have frustrated buzz in the post before mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: