U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 12:48 PM

399 posts, read 870,689 times

Advertisements

I was just revisiting Terrasini in Aliante as alternative to Sky Pointe in Centennial Hills since Terrasini is shorter walking distance to Walmart Supercenter (less than 1/2 mile) vs Sky Pointe (about 1 mile) to Vons. From Terrasini, I could also take a bus to Whole Foods Tenaya in about 1 hour door to door including 1 transfer of bus. That would be fine for produce shopping. For cold and frozen foods, I would be able to buy those from Walmart a walk home before it melted. There is also a Fresh and Easy a very short bus ride away from Terrasini. There is probably no risk of the Walmart location closing vs some risk of Vons closing. At Sky Pointe, I would probably use Vons grocery delivery or take a bus to Smiths rather than walk back and forth to Vons in the heat.

One big advantage Sky Pointe has is access to the strip with the C-Line express bus which is an easy bus ride with an air conditioned waiting room. It looks like a 2 hour long and rough bus ride from Terrasini to the strip requiring transferring multiple times at open air bus stops.
Too bad there is no express service from Aliante.

Since I won't have a need to go the strip with the same importance as I would need to buy groceries, that compromise might be worth it for the right price. Does anyone know if Terrasini has the same buying restrictions as Sky Pointe to block over-buying by investors looking for rental properties?

Last edited by sdreloc; 09-24-2010 at 12:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 12:56 PM

3,622 posts, read 4,693,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdreloc View Post
Many Targets have a supermaket and that location doesn't probably because it is right next to Vons. If Vons closes, I can see Target quickly adding a fully stocked grocery area.
I wonder what would happen to the empty Vons building though. Maybe Trader Joes or Whole Foods down the road? With Target for cheap household goods and most groceries and Whole Foods for produce and some other items, it would be the perfect place.
Although that Target is not a super center they do have a large "pantry"/freezer section. You could pretty much get anything you need in a pinch other than produce. I don't see that Von's closing anytime soon as there's no immediate grocery stores right there. If they closed I see another grocery store taking it over.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:27 PM

9,751 posts, read 21,603,122 times
It took many years to even get bus service out here in Aliante. So it's a matter of time until we also get the C-line express bus too. And if we do get it, it will probably only run from Decatur by walmart location. Just like that double decker bus, it only runs there, not down Aliante parkway which is closer to me. We still get the old buses. But at least we have that opportunity. Before I had to get off of the bus at Ann/Camino al norte and walk home. Which was quite a hike for me.

Any questions about communities inside Aliante, you can get it here:
http://excellencemgmt.com/
They are the management company for all of Aliante. They also have a location on Camino al norte just down the road a few miles.

Sdreloc, if you are leaning towards Sky Pointe and feel better about it, then go for that one. You have to follow your heart and do what feels right. I only included some other idea's because you mentioned you might want to live near a Whole Foods.
The quality of life is better on the edges of the valley where you are looking versus the heart of the city. Good luck wherever you end up.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:41 PM

399 posts, read 870,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
That is Dorrell Square. Nice tract in a super location. Well run HOA.

The 70K listings are all shorts. Expect something in the high 70s. There has not been a recent sale in there below 75K. Bank is listing one for $81K.
Are the homes in Dorrel Square considered halfplexes?
I noticed some have reduced their pricing in the last few weeks.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:28 PM

629 posts, read 980,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdreloc View Post
I have looked on line for a few minutes and it seems like mostly investor owned rentals in that area that do not qualify for mortgage financing.
How do they determine if a property is eligible for financing?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas