Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 05:21 PM

4 posts, read 5,803 times

Advertisements

I'm 25 years old and I have been living in Massachusetts all my life. I currently have been questioning many things in my life and I have come to the conclusion that I need a change and moving to a new area would definitely put some excitement in my life. I don't have any parents that live here and really don't have any obligation besides from having some friends that would probably miss me. I'm trying to bring a friend of mine along with me as I think it would make the experience much better. The reason I chose Vegas is because I've been making a living off poker for 2 or 3 years now, it's been my only source of income and it has proven more rewarding then most jobs I could get right now. I'm aware that I will be taking a risk as I only plan to have around 5 or 6k(plus 2-3k after selling my car, plan to get a new one when i arrive) in my finances for the move. I plan to go straight into cards and also look for work on the side in case things don't go as planned. The reason I made this post is to possibly have some suggestions or guidance as to how to approach it has the time comes. I have this vision that I'm just going to show up in Vegas with a backpack and begin a mission. I've only been to Vegas once so far. I also have been looking at apartments on Craigslist but I'm not sure how reliable the listings are on CL in regards to Vegas. I've seen some decent 2BR apartments in the $600-800 range. I'm also unaware of what areas to avoid living (areas of high crime and slummy).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 05:30 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
I don't want to put damper on your plans, but a good poker player outside of Vegas isn't necessarily a good poker player IN Vegas. I'm not saying you're a fish or anything, but a lot of people have come to Vegas with aspirations of being professional poker players and have been eaten alive.

BE CAREFUL. If you intend on making your living that way, I'm sure you'll be playing NL, and the swings can be dramatic.

Good luck, and welcome.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:42 PM

I'm very aware of the poker aspect as I've been in it for some time now. I practice proper bankroll management so if I ever really dropped down and I couldn't find a job I would probably move back to MA. I'm just really anxious about everything outside of poker, most especially socially. I'm hoping I will be able to meet people and I feel I might need to get a job just to do that.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:48 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
why would you sell your car.. for 2-3k here, your choices are VERY limited... cars are MUCH cheaper on the east coast!

Old 09-03-2010, 09:23 PM

My car's value doesn't change, it's a 1998 honda accord with 149k miles. I've seen it for around the same price at both locations, but thank you for the advice!

Old 09-03-2010, 11:06 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
if the car is decent, i'd give you the 2g's right now.. your car in Vegas sells for 5k all day long... no offense but i have alot of experience in the car business

Old 09-04-2010, 01:39 AM

383 posts, read 901,282 times
I agree with airics, cars are expensive out here. If you trust the car drive it out. Whats a few thousand extra miles and it is a great trip. You could probably plan your trip to play cards on the way out. 2 to 3k gets you nothing out here for a car. There are places out here to rent in that range nut don't trust craigslist. Good luck. If you are used to playing online you can do that from anywhere but without a guarenteed source of income be prepared to pay 2 months rent and 2 months deposit to get a place.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:56 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,568,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedMinh View Post
I'm 25 years old and I have been living in Massachusetts all my life. I currently have been questioning many things in my life and I have come to the conclusion that I need a change and moving to a new area would definitely put some excitement in my life. I don't have any parents that live here and really don't have any obligation besides from having some friends that would probably miss me. I'm trying to bring a friend of mine along with me as I think it would make the experience much better. The reason I chose Vegas is because I've been making a living off poker for 2 or 3 years now, it's been my only source of income and it has proven more rewarding then most jobs I could get right now. I'm aware that I will be taking a risk as I only plan to have around 5 or 6k(plus 2-3k after selling my car, plan to get a new one when i arrive) in my finances for the move. I plan to go straight into cards and also look for work on the side in case things don't go as planned. The reason I made this post is to possibly have some suggestions or guidance as to how to approach it has the time comes. I have this vision that I'm just going to show up in Vegas with a backpack and begin a mission. I've only been to Vegas once so far. I also have been looking at apartments on Craigslist but I'm not sure how reliable the listings are on CL in regards to Vegas. I've seen some decent 2BR apartments in the $600-800 range. I'm also unaware of what areas to avoid living (areas of high crime and slummy).
I moved from the same location and was the same age when I moved last fall. I moved knowing I had a good support system and skills that could likely move me forward. I don't regret my move but I fail to see the logic in your move. Is the change you need really in a new location or are you running from something that will simply follow you here? Generally speaking, moving here to gamble for a living might be the most unintelligent move anyone could make. However, some of life's greatest lessons are only learned by taking huge chances. I say these things only for you to ponder them further. If you do choose to move here, you WILL learn a lesson one way or another... Just don't forget that plan B.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:50 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
if the car is decent, i'd give you the 2g's right now.. your car in Vegas sells for 5k all day long... no offense but i have alot of experience in the car business
I never realized cars here in Las Vegas cost more than elsewhere. Is that just for used cars, or is it also for new cars?

What is the reason for this?

I assume some people must be in the business of buying cars in the East for $2K and shipping them for a few hundred bucks to Las Vegas to sell for a profit...

Old 09-04-2010, 11:31 AM

383 posts, read 901,282 times
Thats a great question Sporty. My guess is one may go crazy if he had to deal with DMV on a regular basis. My experience of getting a license and registering a dealer bought car was enough. From what I heard there buying a car from a private seller is worse. I do know what I bought for around 9k would have gotten me more in Florida but seemed like a good deal here after shopping around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: