U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 06:01 AM

244 posts, read 321,976 times

Advertisements

hi all

Im moving to LV next week from arizona.
I sold my car 3 months ago.
I also stopped my car insurance at that time.

Should i now move to LV with rent a car and then buy new car there?

How it works?

My Drivers Licence is from AZ, and my ex insurance agent is also from AZ.

1. Can i buy car in nevada with my AZ licence and insure it?

2. Or should i first get nevada DL? (do i need to do test again?)

3. If i decide to buy car in AZ how it works with insurance because i will be moving to LV in 2 days.... I dont think insurance companys will insure it for only few days?

thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 09:50 AM

772 posts, read 1,490,689 times
Go to the NV DMV website. Most of the answers to your questions can be answered there.

1. You can buy a car in NV with an AZ license but the car must maintain a NV insurance policy through a company licensed in NV.

2. You have 30 days to transfer your license from AZ to NV. A test may or may not be required depending on your driving record.

3. Your agent most likely will refund your insurance fees at a prorated amount. Hardly worth the trouble given your scenario IMO, especially since you will have 30 days to register/insure it here or face a huge fine.

Check the website. Lots of good info there.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:59 AM

3,184 posts, read 2,122,058 times
Default Insurance

I decided which company I wanted to go with (premium prices for my likely car purchase), then called the insurance agency ahead of time to tell them I'd be purchasing a car in the next few days. They said to just call them with the VIN number as soon as I'd made the purchase (i.e. from the dealership) and then the policy would be in effect immediately. Did that and it all worked out perfectly. I also had a current out of state license and didn't need to to retake the test.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:54 PM

12 posts, read 25,989 times
Get the insuarnce agent lined up first before so you know what you will be paying for as part of your budget.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:49 PM

12,686 posts, read 30,969,141 times
Something I've always been confused about since I've never done it ─ but if he buys a car in AZ he'll pay the AZ sales tax, verdad? Then when he moves here does he pay a Nevada sales tax too? I've heard this debated but don't know the answer.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:59 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,759,682 times
usually yes....but the mass incompetence at dmv could go either way....

Wife took g'son to dmv to order a duplicate title for my old truck cause im giving it to him and he's moving to Missouri....he moved with the truck in tow....title came in and we opened it to sign it and send it on.....it came in trasferred, in his name......

Old 03-30-2011, 07:44 PM

11,575 posts, read 22,673,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Something I've always been confused about since I've never done it ─ but if he buys a car in AZ he'll pay the AZ sales tax, verdad? Then when he moves here does he pay a Nevada sales tax too? I've heard this debated but don't know the answer.
NO, Once you've paid tax in another state, you do not pay it again in Nevada..

Old 04-03-2011, 02:56 PM

19 posts, read 35,978 times
Posting in this old Sept '10 thread that has been resurrected in case the info will help someone (primarily directed at Nevada residents here):

If you buy a used vehicle from a private party - you pay no sales tax (the NDMV will charge you the registration fees but not sales tax).

If you buy from a dealer, you do.

Factor that into your purchase situation.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:12 PM

179 posts, read 330,266 times
NO, Once you've paid tax in another state, you do not pay it again in Nevada..

---

This is good news as I heard you would have to pay tax twice, upon registration in NV - and my old car is falling apart, thinking I might have to replace it even to make the long drive for moving, I was thinking I don't dare replace it unless it is a car bought in NV, so that I do not have to pay sales tax twice. But this is saying no, for sure and for certain, buying something out of state then moving into NV, getting a NV license and registering the car, even if it's a very recent car purchase, then NV will not charge sales tax a second time around. So thanks, I wasn't sure how that works but the rumor mill always said that you have to pay the sales tax twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or