U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 09:42 PM

1,945 posts, read 2,114,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Some day you will be old and this will still be on the internet.

Californicators do so use their turn signals ...they flash them once, right after they already changed lanes without looking and ran you off the road.

These numbers from the "study" are obviously going to be used as an excuse to raise our premiums.

ha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 11:10 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,333,613 times
My one and only complaint is why do Vegas drivers (all of them, not just the city) seem to hate to have to yield to pedestrians? I mean come on, does it really cost you any thing other than maybe 30 seconds of time to let my cross in front of you? Do you really need to beep your horn, run the stop sign to get through before me, squeeze in behind me so close that my shirt gets brushed by your mirror, or in one case literally try and hit me causing me to jump backwards into a full out sprawl on the concrete?

Old 09-06-2010, 11:15 AM

15,756 posts, read 32,479,957 times
Local custom. In CA the pedestrian has right of way. In NV they are fair game.

General concensus is only poor people walk and hitting them is good for the population. Keeps the minorities in check.

Note that the Nevada pedestrian responds by ignoring all crosswalks and such and darting from between cars. The figure to surprise the automobile and scare the driver to death. Works sometimes.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:16 PM

430 posts, read 1,152,804 times
Problem in Vegas is drivers are INCONSISTENT. You can not rely on any stereotype, previous pattern or city wide trend to avoid the idiots.
You have people who will signal 3 miles in advance and others who flash as they are moving over. Some people speed up to get on the highway, some don't. Some people will drive 15 miles over the speed limit, others 5 and then those who go under.

When I lived in Tucson, you knew to drive around and avoid the blue hairs/Q-tips. In Massachusetts, everyone wants to be first and you best learn to drive defensively. In Charleston, SC I learned that everyone tailgates, so get over it. Here in Vegas, forget it, I have learned that there is nothing you can do, but be defensive and expect the unexpected. Drive as if the worst case scenario is about to happen. That guy who was in such a hurry to cut you off is probably going to drive 5 miles below the speed limit now. Ugh! I hate driving here.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:20 PM

3,622 posts, read 4,692,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruready1st View Post
Problem in Vegas is drivers are INCONSISTENT.

Here in Vegas, forget it, I have learned that there is nothing you can do, but be defensive and expect the unexpected. Drive as if the worst case scenario is about to happen. That guy who was in such a hurry to cut you off is probably going to drive 5 miles below the speed limit now. Ugh! I hate driving here.
Exactly. Haha! One minute you have people going 90 on your tail and then you pull behind someone going 60. Of course the person going 60 is going to tick off the guy going 90 so he will weave in and out of traffic.

It's a lose- lose situation.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:18 PM

508 posts, read 870,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
Californians refuse to use their turn signals is what I notice the most. A lot of elderly people are terrible drivers as well. Usually they drive too slow or I see them driving in the shoulder. I saw a senior repeatedly hit a truck trying to get into a parking space at Summerlin hospital. She kept backing in & out of the spot hitting the truck everytime she backed out-couldn't believe it.
no joke! i was driving home Saturday and someone was driving in the turn only lane to the hi-way and they were doing 30 where they then swerved into a straight lane and almost side swiped another car. people here drive worse then seattle. good thing i am used to bad drivers... the only thing i got to say is at least people in seattle use their blinker before they cut you off.

here even driving is a gamble.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:59 PM

1,945 posts, read 2,114,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grofica View Post
no joke! i was driving home Saturday and someone was driving in the turn only lane to the hi-way and they were doing 30 where they then swerved into a straight lane and almost side swiped another car. people here drive worse then seattle. good thing i am used to bad drivers... the only thing i got to say is at least people in seattle use their blinker before they cut you off.

You know I'm not the best driver I make stupid mistakes.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:58 AM

2,038 posts, read 3,648,425 times
I think we have the worst pedestrians in the country.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:55 AM

113 posts, read 263,665 times
Default Right of way

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Local custom. In CA the pedestrian has right of way. In NV they are fair game.

General concensus is only poor people walk and hitting them is good for the population. Keeps the minorities in check.

Note that the Nevada pedestrian responds by ignoring all crosswalks and such and darting from between cars. The figure to surprise the automobile and scare the driver to death. Works sometimes.
What a big shock !! Vegas is the worst !

In Vegas the pedestrian comes to a busy intersection and just starts walking,without turning their head to look first.Yes,they have the right of way,but if the driver is distracted and hits them,that won't matter much.On the east coast they turn and check to make sure its safe before entering the street,I guess here it is a feeling of entitlement ?
If you walk onto a busy street in NYC without looking first,some cabbie will ruin your day for sure.
And most of the people drive the same way,instead of assuming someone will make a mistake,they take for granted everyone else is perfect and going to see them,which is the cause for all the accidents.Everyone needs to drive (and walk) defensively.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:48 AM

15,371 posts, read 33,754,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grofica View Post
If I wanted ya to know where I was goin I'd send ya an email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas