U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-06-2010, 12:41 PM

4,847 posts, read 4,638,349 times
Default Natural Gas service outside the house for a grill question.

Hello again!

We recently bought a house in Henderson that came equipped with a natural gas line in the back yard.
NV Energy sent a worker out and turned on our service 3 months ago when we were last there.
We are going back this week and are in the market for a natural gas outdoor grill.
Do I have to call NV Energy to come back out to turn the OUTDOOR gas line?
I'm leaving on Thursday and wont have a chance to call them til after we r there.
Also---is there anything else we should know about the process?
Yes--this is our first grill---cause you can't grill in this concrete jungle I currently live in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 12:53 PM

15,758 posts, read 19,186,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish22 View Post
Hello again!

We recently bought a house in Henderson that came equipped with a natural gas line in the back yard.
NV Energy sent a worker out and turned on our service 3 months ago when we were last there.
We are going back this week and are in the market for a natural gas outdoor grill.
Do I have to call NV Energy to come back out to turn the OUTDOOR gas line?
I'm leaving on Thursday and wont have a chance to call them til after we r there.
Also---is there anything else we should know about the process?
Yes--this is our first grill---cause you can't grill in this concrete jungle I currently live in
The gas is on. The stub for the grill normally has a valve. You need to see what kind of termination is present. When you buy your grill you will normally get a long hose with a quick connect. If your stub does not have one you should buy one and install it. If the house has just a stub with no valve you will need to install both a valve and the quick connect. That is a DIY job if you are handy and not afraid of gas. A job for a plumber if you are.

Make sure you get a grill set up for natural gas...the plumbing in the grill is a little different.

When you get there you can post a picture of the stub and someone will tell you exactly what needs to be done...

Old 09-06-2010, 12:55 PM

7,373 posts, read 12,991,173 times
Unless it has it's own meter, the stub should have gas flow when it's uncapped. Look for a separate turnoff valve, it should be located on the stub, and in the off position.

If you can't find these things and don't know how it works, better to have it hooked up the first time by a professional. Lots of places will do that for you when they deliver the grill. Especially if you buy a big outdoor kitchen type set up. You have to be sure you get the proper flow and complete combustion of the gas. The flame has to be right too.

It's not hard to do, just a matter of experience.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:07 PM

4,847 posts, read 4,638,349 times
I love this site!
Instant info
Thanks!
Seeing as I know nothing about gas or grills for that matter, I think I oughta call somebody.

Seeing as this is our first one--we want to get one of those close-out sales we see outside of Home Depot or Lowes.
I know they come put together already so that may make it a little easier.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:09 PM

15,758 posts, read 19,186,883 times
Quote:
I love this site!
Instant info
Thanks!
Seeing as I know nothing about gas or grills for that matter, I think I oughta call somebody.

Seeing as this is our first one--we want to get one of those close-out sales we see outside of Home Depot or Lowes.
AS YS says get whoever sells it to you to install it. I am pretty sure that Lowe's will do it for 50 or so. If they won't go to one of the "Grills are US" places.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:27 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,077,496 times
The natural gas pipe owned by NV Energy that goes into the meter supplies natural gas at about 500 lbs of pressure (very high pressure). Coming out of the meter, it is only about 1/4 of pound of pressure -- very very low pressure.

It is possible that the stub out you mention is just a pipe with a cap, and there is no valve there.

IF there is no valve, you should install a "ball-valve" (a ball valve is one where, unlike a garden water hose, you only turn the handle a quarter turn to completely open or close it) and then flexible natural gas supply to the grill.

In general, if there is no valve, you should probably turn the gas off at the meter prior to pulling the cap off & installing that valve. (Note that many experienced people won't turn off the natural gas supply because it is so low pressure). If you decide to turn off the natural gas at the meter (safer), first contact NV Energy to ask them -- they may tell you they will turn it off & then back on for you at no charge (they might turn off the gas, then tell you to install the valve, then turn the gas back -- about 5 mins work -- then check everything in the house -- another 10 mins work).

They might even install that valve for you & test the connection by spraying soapy water on it & looking for any bubbles that would indicate a leak -- again, without charge -- if you ask nicely once the technician is there to turn off the gas.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:48 PM

430 posts, read 739,949 times
We had the same thing when we moved in. A line out the side of the house by the patio for a BBQ. We bought a BBQ island off craigslist (granite counter top) from someone loosing their home . Southwest Gas was nice and came out to be sure we had everything hooked up correct.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:32 PM

9,309 posts, read 13,857,842 times
Quote:
I love this site!
Instant info
Thanks!

i thought the same thing except that lowes and h.o didn't have any "ready" natural gas grills cheap.. you had to buy a kit.. .. since i am lazy in that aspect, i bought a monster of a grill and alway have an extra propane tank handy.

the gas line that i have outside, i was considering one of those heaters or fire pits.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:26 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,973,440 times
If you have the gas turned off to install a valve, you may have to get the gas hot water heater pilot light lit too. Sears outlet has grills sometimes. I got mine for half of retail there.

[
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas