U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:17 AM

4,962 posts, read 8,675,201 times

Advertisements

Who brings two large suitcases that don't have good wheels on a plane anymore? I can't imagine 99% of the travelers out there having any serious hassle with the SSTT option, its not that difficult to lift a bag two feet off the ground and onto a bus. The only inconvenience I had with it was the buses are usually way off their schedules arriving at McCarran so you can be out waiting over 30 minutes in heat or cold with smokers right next to you. But if the stars align and the bus arrives within a few minutes of walking out to the stop its an amazing deal. You can even stay longer than 7 days, just fill out a form inside the terminal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 09:46 AM

872 posts, read 1,844,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Who brings two large suitcases that don't have good wheels on a plane anymore? I can't imagine 99% of the travelers out there having any serious hassle with the SSTT option, its not that difficult to lift a bag two feet off the ground and onto a bus. The only inconvenience I had with it was the buses are usually way off their schedules arriving at McCarran so you can be out waiting over 30 minutes in heat or cold with smokers right next to you. But if the stars align and the bus arrives within a few minutes of walking out to the stop its an amazing deal. You can even stay longer than 7 days, just fill out a form inside the terminal.
Even if you can't imagine it, it's possible. In fact, I saw this very scenario on my last trip. A woman by herself, who appeared to be in her 70s, had two large, well-used suitcases (without wheels) and was struggling to get them on the bus. The driver showed no interest in helping, so I did.

Not everyone has the more modern luggage with the extended handles and wheels.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:44 PM

12,686 posts, read 30,964,098 times
We actually have four wheel drive luggage which is easier to wheel than most other bags. But both of us, even though Carol is 16 years younger, have unfortunately inherited heart problems that actually make lifting dangerous. If I'm taking two weeks worth of stuff ...well, it gets difficult, scary, and painful to wrestle with heavy bags in tight spaces. Life is never easy, but we are both tough, and don't let things stop us. Nothing wrong with doing things the easy way now, is there, after a lifetime of taking the more difficult scenic route?

I just wish I wasn't haunted by memories of when I too was young and arrogant, and used to make such stupid assumptions about other people.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:15 PM

367 posts, read 924,305 times
Quote:
I don't think wheels or no wheels are the problem. The problem is lifting two or more bags weighing 30+ pounds up onto a bus which isn't made to handle large suitcases. Narrow aisle, narrow steps up into the bus, etc. Sure, for the occasional leisure travel, I'm sure this works just perfectly, but when business travel requires me to carry 70+ pounds of total luggage in 3 bags, I take the onsite parking.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_bd View Post
I don't think wheels or no wheels are the problem. The problem is lifting two or more bags weighing 30+ pounds up onto a bus which isn't made to handle large suitcases. Narrow aisle, narrow steps up into the bus, etc. Sure, for the occasional leisure travel, I'm sure this works just perfectly, but when business travel requires me to carry 70+ pounds of total luggage in 3 bags, I take the onsite parking.
Have you been on the bus? Its easier to get a bag on the bus than it is to get it into the trunk of a car. If you can't manage the bus then you probably are just depending on someone else to do the work of moving your luggage for you at every step of the trip. Its not hard at all, the aisles are not that narrow and I have seen seniors with large bags on the bus many times.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:17 AM

367 posts, read 924,305 times
Quote:
Have you been on the bus? Its easier to get a bag on the bus than it is to get it into the trunk of a car. If you can't manage the bus then you probably are just depending on someone else to do the work of moving your luggage for you at every step of the trip. Its not hard at all, the aisles are not that narrow and I have seen seniors with large bags on the bus many times.
No, I haven't been on the bus. I just automatically thought that if I have a hard time with the buses actually designed for moving travellers and their luggage, the city buses would be worse. But maybe they're not. I do not depend on anyone but me to get my stuff where I'm going, btw, or I wouldn't care at all which type of transport I'd go with. Maybe there's less people getting on and off at the same time on the city buses, being that the airport isn't the only stop. I just know that I have had to yell at the driver on the dedicated shuttles that I still had more luggage to load/unload before he took off.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:35 AM

872 posts, read 1,844,149 times
Quote:
Its not hard at all, the aisles are not that narrow and I have seen seniors with large bags on the bus many times.
It's not that hard for you. That doesn't mean that it isn't hard for some people, which you don't seem to want to acknowledge. Sure, some seniors can handle this with no trouble; others cannot, which was the point I was trying to make earlier in this thread when I referenced the woman in her 70s who definitely was having trouble getting her luggage on the bus.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:44 PM

I acknowledge there are a small minority like that, but they'd never consider the bus in the first place. Its easier than any parking or hotel shuttle, but with those you can probably get someone to help you with your bags so maybe that is the way to go if one truly struggles with their luggage and cannot get a relative to do the driving and lifting for them.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:50 AM

8,710 posts, read 10,139,339 times
I do have to say that the aisles and the seats on the bus were a bit crampy, and I only had a backpack. But, I did see others struggling with their larger luggage and such. It was late and it was not crowded on the bus at all. If it were, that could be an even bigger problem, I would think.

I just think if you have a lot of luggage, you would be better off with alternative transportation. If not, the bus is great! Waiting for it is not a problem, although we almost got on the wrong one!

Old 09-10-2010, 10:17 AM

12,686 posts, read 30,964,098 times
If they are regular busses, does that mean the aisles are blocked with suitcases? You couldn't hold a large suitcase on your lap. I'm getting the impression that these busses are only for people taking short trips with one carry on bag. Is that the case or am I getting the wrong picture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas